Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

I just found out that one of the CM Events on the Events page is not limited to Catholics (let alone CM members) and that there will be no way to attend Mass on Sunday (or Sat. PM) during the event because it is on a cruise ship that will not have a priest. Fortunately I found this out before I booked it (but only by 4 days- yikes!).

I had assumed that any event on the Events page would be for Catholics (if not CM Catholics) and that, of course, if a Sunday occurred during the event, Mass or the ability to go to Mass would be included (as it was in the CM Chicago event I attended this past summer).

I know that CM doesn't sponsor these events and is not responsible, but I wonder why any event would be allowed to be posted on the Events page that is not for Catholics and does not at least provide for the ability of Catholics attending the event to attend Sunday (or Sat. PM) Mass? After all, this is a CATHOLIC website.

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I just found out that one of the CM Events on the Events page is not limited to Catholics (let ...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I just found out that one of the CM Events on the Events page is not limited to Catholics (let alone CM members) and that there will be no way to attend Mass on Sunday (or Sat. PM) during the event because it is on a cruise ship that will not have a priest. Fortunately I found this out before I booked it (but only by 4 days- yikes!).

I had assumed that any event on the Events page would be for Catholics (if not CM Catholics) and that, of course, if a Sunday occurred during the event, Mass or the ability to go to Mass would be included (as it was in the CM Chicago event I attended this past summer).

I know that CM doesn't sponsor these events and is not responsible, but I wonder why any event would be allowed to be posted on the Events page that is not for Catholics and does not at least provide for the ability of Catholics attending the event to attend Sunday (or Sat. PM) Mass? After all, this is a CATHOLIC website.

--hide--
Patricia -- the obligation to attend Mass is a serious one and not to be taken lightly. However, there are times when the best efforts to attend aren't successful. Also, it is possible to consult with a priest ahead of time, explaining the situation, and the likelihood of receiving a dispensation for that Sunday (or Sat. vigil Mass). For one who attends Mass faithfully, this is typically what happens. I've also been told by several clergy that this would usually be considered a valid reason for not attending Mass, as long as missing it was not the intended purpose of the trip. When possible, one can attend a daily Mass (as I recall you attend Mass daily anyway), or perform some other reverent act (Adoration, for example) beforehand or as soon as possible afterward.

Some CM members are not Catholics. As I understand it, they are allowed on the site for various reasons. Among them is the fact that a person might be interested in learning about our Faith from those who profess to live it daily, and to interact with such people. A couple of people I've encountered are in an RCIA program, learning about Catholicism and discerning if it will be the Church of their choosing afterward.

There are vacation circumstances that can make attending Mass difficult, if not impossible. Considering the above, it would probably not be wrong to miss Mass on rare occasions.

To my knowledge, the CM events are not restricted to Catholics; members of other faiths may attend. It's a good opportunity to extend our ecumenical arms and welcome them.

Feb 11th 2013 new

1. Some people will probably be travelling with a friend or sibling who may or may not be Catholic.

2. Fellowship is fellowship.

3. Some cruise lines do have a Catholic priest aboard at all times. If that's not the policy, you can inquire and they will put out feelers. I was on a cruise and was told there was no priest...but it turned out that one was vacationing like the rest of us, and was able -- ad hoc -- to arrange for a room for saying Mass.

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Patricia -- the obligation to attend Mass is a serious one and not to be taken lightly. However, th...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Patricia -- the obligation to attend Mass is a serious one and not to be taken lightly. However, there are times when the best efforts to attend aren't successful. Also, it is possible to consult with a priest ahead of time, explaining the situation, and the likelihood of receiving a dispensation for that Sunday (or Sat. vigil Mass). For one who attends Mass faithfully, this is typically what happens. I've also been told by several clergy that this would usually be considered a valid reason for not attending Mass, as long as missing it was not the intended purpose of the trip. When possible, one can attend a daily Mass (as I recall you attend Mass daily anyway), or perform some other reverent act (Adoration, for example) beforehand or as soon as possible afterward.

Some CM members are not Catholics. As I understand it, they are allowed on the site for various reasons. Among them is the fact that a person might be interested in learning about our Faith from those who profess to live it daily, and to interact with such people. A couple of people I've encountered are in an RCIA program, learning about Catholicism and discerning if it will be the Church of their choosing afterward.

There are vacation circumstances that can make attending Mass difficult, if not impossible. Considering the above, it would probably not be wrong to miss Mass on rare occasions.

To my knowledge, the CM events are not restricted to Catholics; members of other faiths may attend. It's a good opportunity to extend our ecumenical arms and welcome them.

--hide--

Hi Ray, my understanding about this particular trip is that there are people attending who are NOT CM members (Catholic or not).

And, although, yes, vacation circumstances may make attending Mass difficult, I have never found it to be impossible, particularly if you plan the vacation taking Sunday Mass into account (such as checking the internet ahead of time to find where the local Church is).

For example there are 2 cruise lines (I was told) that always have a priest onboard. So, why not plan the cruise with that line rather than the one that only has a priest at Christmas or Easter?

I think really the only place one could not find a Mass would be a communist country such as China or perhaps a Muslim country in the mideast. To me, if one were travelling to one of those countries that would be a valid reason to miss Mass or get a dispensation. Otherwise, it truly makes me wonder why a priest would give someone a dispensation = as shouldn't we as active Catholics be putting God first (even on vacation)? And, of course, if there were CM members at an event that are not Catholic, I don't think anyone would strongarm them into attending Sunday Mass is they didn't want to.

I find this situation very disappointing and just another way to dilute the practice of our Faith and as I said surprised that such an event would be allowed on the CM Events page.

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: 1. Some people will probably be travelling with a friend or sibling who may or may not be Catholi...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

1. Some people will probably be travelling with a friend or sibling who may or may not be Catholic.

3. Some cruise lines do have a Catholic priest aboard at all times. If that's not the policy, you can inquire and they will put out feelers. I was on a cruise and was told there was no priest...but it turned out that one was vacationing like the rest of us, and was able -- ad hoc -- to arrange for a room for saying Mass.

--hide--

Hi Marge, I already asked the cruise line, the organizer, and the travel agent, and was told there will be no priest to say Mass on the cruise. I would never intentionally book a trip at which there would only be some off chance that a priest would happen to be vacationing onboard. I'm just glad that I found out by specifically asking if there would be a priest onboard to say Mass before I booked the trip! Frankly, I think that important fact should have been on the Events page so people would know upfront.

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: 1. Some people will probably be travelling with a friend or sibling who may or may not be Catholi...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

--hide--

I also have to say that I disagree with your 2nd point. All fellowship is not equal. That is why I would not attend one of the Match.com events that they are now holding in major cities. Although they issue invitations to people roughly in the same geographical area and in the same age range, that is all they match onl, so one could be attending events with people that you have nothing in common with - particularly in terms of faith, ethics, values, etc. That is why I'm on CM rather than match.com. And, that is why I would rather be attending events with Catholic members whose faith is supported with at least the ability to attend Sunday Mass if the event runs through Saturday night and all day Sunday.

Feb 11th 2013 new

I think you're well within your rights to refuse the trip. But there are clearly others interested and it's being promoted by CM'rs so why ruin it for the other members?

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: I think you're well within your rights to refuse the trip. But there are clearly others intere...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

I think you're well within your rights to refuse the trip. But there are clearly others interested and it's being promoted by CM'rs so why ruin it for the other members?

--hide--

I'm not trying to ruin anything. I'm asking the question as to why CM would allow an event to be posted on it's events page that encompasses people from other places (apparently), but more importantly, does not give one the ability to go to Sunday Mass (as I said in my original post). This is a Catholic site, not match.com (as I also said previously). There are many other venues where one can find secular events/trips/etc.

So, should I be able to post an event here on CM for a 1-week vacation at Club Med which has a nude beach right next to the property and/or topless bathing on the property (although I certainly wouldn't put that in the description) and doesn't have a Catholic Church within driving distance just because some members might want to go there? To me, that would not be an appropriate event to post on CM even though I as a CM'er would be promoting it. And perhaps I also would be promoting it on some other site such as a bulletin board in a local coffee shop in downtown Chicago so it also would be including people who are not Catholic and maybe atheist or agnostic or whatever. Would people that view this event on CM realize that they might be signing up for a vacation that would include all of this?

Now, obviously, this is an exaggerated example to illustrate my point. And, I am not accusing the cruise vacation of any of this nor comparing it to this. I just wonder what is acceptable to post on the Events page, and to me that would be an Event that was Catholic at least at a very basic level.

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: exaggerated example to illustrate my point. And, I am not accusing the cruise vacation of any ...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

exaggerated example to illustrate my point. And, I am not accusing the cruise vacation of any of this nor comparing it to this. I just wonder what is acceptable to post on the Events page, and to me that would be an Event that was Catholic at least at a very basic level.

--hide--

exageration-wOW-FOR SURE- MOST PLACES IN THE CARRIBEAN HAVE MULTIPLE CHURCHES WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE! srry about the caps...

Feb 11th 2013 new

This particular cruise will be "at sea" on Saturday and Sunday.

Posts 1 - 10 of 31