Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Feb 12th 2013 new

Urban VI

atheism.about.com

Name:
Pope Urban VI (Naples, Italy)
Born: Bartolommeo Prignani
Preceded by: Gregory XI (1370 - 1378)
Succeeded by: PBoniface IX (1389 - 1404)
Roman Catholic Pope #203
Antipope: Clement VII

Dates:
Born: c. 1318 (Langquedoc)
Died: October 15, 1389
Pope: April 8, 1379 - October 15, 1389 (11 years, 6 months)

Biography:
Urban VI was elected by French Cardinals at the behest of a Roman populace which demanded that an Italian once again sit on Peter's throne. This would not prove to be a good choice for them because Urban really wanted to reform the clergy - in particular, he wanted to limit the extravagant lifestyles which the cardinals had come to enjoy.

Unfortunately, he did not go about these reforms with much tact and his insults and abuse of the cardinals caused them to elect an antipope, Clement VII - this inaugurated the Great Schism of the West. This would last for some 60 years, with one set of popes settled in the Lateran Palace in the Vatican and a second line of popes based in Avignon.

Urban launched upon a program of violence against those he thought to have been conspiring against him, imprisoning people at will and mistreating them brutally. Later historians have considered seriously that he might have been insane.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: If we get a liberal Eastern Orthodoxy will look awfully good.
(Quote) John-220051 said:

If we get a liberal Eastern Orthodoxy will look awfully good.
--hide--

Have faith. Nothing happens in God's world or in God's HOLY Church by mistake.

It's NOT our job to run things or second guess. Our job is to remain absolutely faithful WITHIN the Church - come what may.

Would you desert the Church as as the Apostles deserted Christ when Judas arrived in the garden with the Temple priests and soldiers? is THAT the action from the Gospels you'd choose to emulate???

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I pray for a successor who will continue the Pope's work of restoring the liturgy and clean out the c...
(Quote) John-220051 said: I pray for a successor who will continue the Pope's work of restoring the liturgy and clean out the corruption that is poisoning the Catholic Church's witness.
--hide--

It's not our job to write prescriptions. we pray for the Church and ask God to guide it. But we shouldn't write a prescription for God to follow - unless you enjoy experiencing the frustration and bewilderment of unanswered prayers.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-324285 said: So you would say to any of the great Saints or Doctors of the Church to sit by, pray and ...
(Quote) John-324285 said:

So you would say to any of the great Saints or Doctors of the Church to sit by, pray and NOT combat heresy with the full authority of the Gospel of Our Lord?!?! We are all called to give testimony to the truth. I for one will no longer sit idly by while fires burn uncontested through the fields of Our Lord.

--hide--

Are we doctors of the Church? Are we great saints? Last I checked, no one put either of us in charge of things. The tail cannot wag the dog. Right?

We must pray, trust God, and live faithfully in accord with God's will for us rather than announcing what God's will is for others and attempting to force that into effect. This is how we help the Church. This is how we grow in holiness and grace.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I wonder how he can expect to write after being Pope. What if he says something that the current pope...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I wonder how he can expect to write after being Pope. What if he says something that the current pope disagrees with? How will his writing be viewed, with greater authority than that of a cardinal? (after all, he was pope). I don't know...I can't get my mind around a pope emeritus thus far.

--hide--

Don't worry about it. If he does, he does and if he doesn't he doesn't.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: I agree that there is some worry that that could happen, but what is selfless in Pope Bened...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:

I agree that there is some worry that that could happen, but what is selfless in Pope Benedict's resignation is that he will no doubt influence who the next Pope could be. If he had died first, that influence would be easier to ignore. I'm praying for a younger, healthier Pope who thinks like Pope Benedict.
--hide--

I'm willing to bet he will steadfastly refuse to offer suggestions or talk about his preferences to the cardinals who'll elect his successor. My guess is he'll leave office, quit the papal apartments, go to a monastery or other cloistered place, and stay out of it altogether.

Feb 12th 2013 new
(Quote) David-364112 said: Have faith. Nothing happens in God's world or in God's HOLY Churc...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Have faith. Nothing happens in God's world or in God's HOLY Church by mistake.

It's NOT our job to run things or second guess. Our job is to remain absolutely faithful WITHIN the Church - come what may.

Would you desert the Church as as the Apostles deserted Christ when Judas arrived in the garden with the Temple priests and soldiers? is THAT the action from the Gospels you'd choose to emulate???

--hide--

They'd say they are the real Catholic Church and that the West is apostate. LOL.
Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: They'd say they are the real Catholic Church and that the West is apostate. LOL.
(Quote) John-220051 said:

They'd say they are the real Catholic Church and that the West is apostate. LOL.
--hide--

I'm not gonna go there.

Feb 12th 2013 new

I went to buy a newspaper today, and saw the front page of the New York Post "I'm outta Here" Pope Gives God Two Weeks Notice. I thought that was terrible a newspaper would print something like that. I will pray for the Holy Father, and hope his health is not as poor as some people are saying. It would be nice to elect a Pope somewhere in his fifties, but that will be in God's hands.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Are we doctors of the Church? Are we great saints? Last I checked, no one put either...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Are we doctors of the Church? Are we great saints? Last I checked, no one put either of us in charge of things. The tail cannot wag the dog. Right?

We must pray, trust God, and live faithfully in accord with God's will for us rather than announcing what God's will is for others and attempting to force that into effect. This is how we help the Church. This is how we grow in holiness and grace.

--hide--

Part of living the faith IS being a light to the truth and defending the truth always taught by the Church. That is all I am attempting to do, I make no claims to be a doctor or a saint, but I won't sit as a hermit concerned with only myself when there are so many souls in this world who thirst for the Truth of God. Remember there have been times where almost the whole Catholic world was in heresy (Arianism) and few spoke up. Any Pope prior to John XXIII would have never kissed or Koran, held ecumenical services, (prayer or otherwise) or called on the inner humanistic in us in a appeal for peace. As every Catholic knows (or should know) that true peace cannot be found in man, but only from God.

We live in a time of diabolical disorientation, Our Lady has tried to warn the world and Catholics specifically several times, (Fatima, La Sallet, and others) that if the world does not turn back to her Son there will be much suffering. Why should we keep quiet when we have heard straight from Heaven that we need to do penance and to turn back to God? Doing so only aids the Prince of this world. We are called to be spiritual warriors and part of that is verbal combat with heretics, schematics, fallen away brethren, and pagans.

As for the tail can not wag the dog, God does not work in such simplistic ways. There have been times where saints have corrected bishops, cardinals, popes, yet they are not the tail are they? Yes they were saints, but they were not in the "position of power or authority" over those positions, so in that sense they are the tail. Again, I am not claiming to be anything near a saint as the Lord knows I am a sinner. What I am trying to do is be some small flagbearer for the Truth that the Church has protected and passed down from Christ through the Apostles, which is what ALL Catholics are called to be; bearers of Truth.

Posts 41 - 50 of 200