Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

02/10/2013 new

Hi Theresa,

Congrats on the move! I can pretty much echo what everyone else from this area has said. I advise against chains on your tires....never had em, never felt like I needed em. I do carry a winter survival kit, just a store bought one. I also have a shovel in my trunk and on the suggestion of my father, kitty litter in case I ever get stuck and need to throw something down for traction. It acts like the sand that they will throw down on the streets after it snows. Have you driven in snow before???

I hate being cold and am an expert on bundling up if you need any tips! Our summers are usually quite warm and beautiful, and like another poster said, we truly have four seasons! If only spring would hurry up.....

Megan

02/10/2013 new

(Quote) Lori-911365 said: Best wishes on your move Theresa! I'm sure you will get used to the weather. I live in North D...
(Quote) Lori-911365 said:

Best wishes on your move Theresa! I'm sure you will get used to the weather. I live in North Dakota and we've had a pretty good winter until today when we are experiencing a blizzard! But, when that happens you just stay home and the kids have a snow day!! YEA! I was in Sioux Falls, SD last July for a week when the temps were 100 degrees! So one good thing about North and South Dakota is that we have all 4 seasons. ;)

--hide--

High five for North Dakota! biggrin

02/10/2013 new

(Quote) Megan-650240 said: Hi Theresa, Congrats on the move! I can pretty much echo what everyone else from this area...
(Quote) Megan-650240 said:

Hi Theresa,

Congrats on the move! I can pretty much echo what everyone else from this area has said. I advise against chains on your tires....never had em, never felt like I needed em. I do carry a winter survival kit, just a store bought one. I also have a shovel in my trunk and on the suggestion of my father, kitty litter in case I ever get stuck and need to throw something down for traction. It acts like the sand that they will throw down on the streets after it snows. Have you driven in snow before???

I hate being cold and am an expert on bundling up if you need any tips! Our summers are usually quite warm and beautiful, and like another poster said, we truly have four seasons! If only spring would hurry up.....

Megan

--hide--

I won't pretend to be an expert on tires, but I have driven all over western Canada (mostly prairies, but some mountains too) in all kinds of weather, and the only time I've seen snow chains is on tractors clearing snow in the mountains. I have been some places in the mountains where the snow banks were at least 15 feet high on both sides of the road, so check the highway conditions and weather forecast before you go, and if it just snowed a lot, be prepared to wait several hours for the snowplows to do their work. Out on the prairies there isn't often a lot of snow, but what there is will blow around a lot. I agree with having a small snow shovel and emergency kit. In a pinch your car floor mats can also be used for traction. Be prepared for the possibility of very cold weather in winter, but the summers in this part of the world are awesome! And at all times of the year there is lots and lots of sunshine. Clean the snow and ice off your car before you start driving. You'll likely want an ice scraper to clear your windows...a credit card (or similar) also works well in a pinch. Mitts are much warmer than any gloves. I always keep an extra blanket or sleeping bag in my trunk too in winter (and usually well into spring...and not only because I procrastinate :) snowstorms are not unusual well into April and sometimes even May, and as early in the fall as early October sometimes).

Welcome to the northern plains! Where we can say with a straight face that -20 with no windchill feels nice! (especially after -40 or colder with windchills! laughing)

02/11/2013 new

(Quote) Lori-911365 said: Best wishes on your move Theresa! I'm sure you will get used to the weather. I live in North D...
(Quote) Lori-911365 said:

Best wishes on your move Theresa! I'm sure you will get used to the weather. I live in North Dakota and we've had a pretty good winter until today when we are experiencing a blizzard! But, when that happens you just stay home and the kids have a snow day!! YEA! I was in Sioux Falls, SD last July for a week when the temps were 100 degrees! So one good thing about North and South Dakota is that we have all 4 seasons. ;)

--hide--
blizzard?

02/11/2013 new

(Quote) Megan-650240 said: Hi Theresa, Congrats on the move! I can pretty much echo what everyone else from this area...
(Quote) Megan-650240 said:

Hi Theresa,

Megan

--hide--
We get snow in Washington every one to two years. I like snow and even like the rain. It's a Washintonian thing.

02/12/2013 new

(Quote) Theresa-911246 said: blizzard?
(Quote) Theresa-911246 said:

blizzard?

--hide--

From Wikipedia,
Officially, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as a severe snowstorm characterized by strong winds causing blowing snow that results in low visibilities. The difference between a blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind, not the amount of snow. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have sustained winds or frequent gusts that are greater than or equal to 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 meters or a quarter mile or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.[1][2]

02/12/2013 new
But the sun came out - the highways are now clear. Us Northerners know how to pass the time on a snow day. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry. Good luck.
02/12/2013 new

I will get you the addresses, let me know about where you are gong to be so I know which peoples address you need.

02/12/2013 new

(Quote) Kate-912649 said: But the sun came out - the highways are now clear. Us Northerners know how to pass the time on a snow day...
(Quote) Kate-912649 said: But the sun came out - the highways are now clear. Us Northerners know how to pass the time on a snow day. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry. Good luck.
--hide--

And way up north here where I've always lived in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, I have NEVER had a snow day!

02/12/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: From Wikipedia, Officially, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as a severe s...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

From Wikipedia,
Officially, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as a severe snowstorm characterized by strong winds causing blowing snow that results in low visibilities. The difference between a blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind, not the amount of snow. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have sustained winds or frequent gusts that are greater than or equal to 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 meters or a quarter mile or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.[1][2]

--hide--
So based on what your telling me it doesnt neccessarily matter the amount of snow, but the amount of wind gust.

Posts 21 - 30 of 57