Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

When I was married we did not have a cerimony inside the holy church (it was on the beach). How am I viewed now ? Technically was i never married or .....??

02/13/2013 new

(Quote) Guerrc-943434 said: When I was married we did not have a cerimony inside the holy church (it was on the beach). How ...
(Quote) Guerrc-943434 said:

When I was married we did not have a cerimony inside the holy church (it was on the beach). How am I viewed now ? Technically was i never married or .....??

--hide--

You are divorced.. You may, however, qualify for an annulment called a Lack of Canonical Form.. Contact your local Tribunal and they will be able to help you..

02/13/2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: (Quote) Guerrc-943434 said: When I was married we did not have a cerimony i...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Quote:
Guerrc-943434 said:

You are divorced.. You may, however, qualify for an annulment called a Lack of Canonical Form.. Contact your local Tribunal and they will be able to help you..

--hide--
Okay Donna, Here's a variation on that question. What if a person was married outside the church, (before their 1st marriage had been annulled, which it later was) later divorced the 2nd spouse, only to have that (ex) spouse die? Would there any longer need to be a Declaration of Nullity?

02/13/2013 new

I thought since I was not married within the church that my marriage was not recognized by the church at all? I need to call my Tribunal or speak to my priest.

02/13/2013 new

(Quote) Guerrc-943434 said: I thought since I was not married within the church that my marriage was not recognized by the c...

I thought since I was not married within the church that my marriage was not recognized by the church at all? I need to call my Tribunal or speak to my priest.

--hide--

Because you were married the circumstances under which you were married needs to be investigated by the Tribunal.. They don't just take your word for it.. Lack of form just takes a couple of weeks usually.. Call the Tribunal.. Sometimes parish priests don't have all the information and an annulment has to go through the Tribunal at any rate.

02/13/2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-444789 said: Okay Donna, Here's a variation on that question. What if a person was married outside the ch...
(Quote) Brenda-444789 said:

Okay Donna, Here's a variation on that question. What if a person was married outside the church, (before their 1st marriage had been annulled, which it later was) later divorced the 2nd spouse, only to have that (ex) spouse die? Would there any longer need to be a Declaration of Nullity?

--hide--

I was married outside the church the second time because I wasn't annulled from the first.. I was 20 years divorced from the second one when I sought annulment from the first.. If you didn't convalidate the second marriage it still wasn't recognised by the church.. I didn't have to seek two annulments but they did ask for the license and divorce decree from the second one just as part of the record. If your second is deceased there is nothing to annul from..

02/13/2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: I was married outside the church the second time because I wasn't annulled from t...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

I was married outside the church the second time because I wasn't annulled from the first.. I was 20 years divorced from the second one when I sought annulment from the first.. If you didn't convalidate the second marriage it still wasn't recognised by the church.. I didn't have to seek two annulments but they did ask for the license and divorce decree from the second one just as part of the record. If your second is deceased there is nothing to annul from..

--hide--

Thanks Donna, that's what I thought. I figured that weather or not the church recognized my second marriage (which they did/do not), the fact that husband #2 had since passed away, there was nothing left to nullify. Thanks for confirming that.

02/13/2013 new

(Quote) Guerrc-943434 said: When I was married we did not have a cerimony inside the holy church (it was on the beach). How ...

--hide--
I applaud you looking into it at all!

02/14/2013 new

--hide--

Unless I;m mistaken, you'll still need an annulment. The good news is that it's probably a "matter of form" which is the type of annulment that is the easiest to obtain. Good luck! Get it done.

02/14/2013 new

Do you still have to write a "story" for a lack of form annulment? I am dealing with an elderly decon who seems confused at times. I don't think he has ever come cross one.

Posts 1 - 10 of 19