Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Texans

Feb 12th 2013 new
Is it true that Texans are a breed apart and that they have more traditional values than most?
Feb 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Les-150018 said: Is it true that Texans are a breed apart and that they have more traditional values than most?
(Quote) Les-150018 said: Is it true that Texans are a breed apart and that they have more traditional values than most?
--hide--

I can't believe a topic like yours, Les, has gone so long without a response. Especially since you are from a different country. These forums have gotten pathetic over the years....there must not be any Americans or Texans on here anymore.

Yes, they are a breed apart. We in Minnesota are taught at an early age to look down on them. wink However, as I've gotten older I started to realize how great they are. Strong, independent, red-blooded, traditional Americans, ignorant as hell, but I would share a foxhole with anyone of them. Besides having low IQs they just have one other problem....their worship of the Dallas Cowboys....a second-rate, minor league football team.

Feb 13th 2013 new

Tom: ...ignorant as hell...

Tom, Tom, Tom. Are you feeling like Maytag tonight - agitating? wink I was born and raised in Louisiana - and I'm a cajun. But I have spent many, many years of my life in Texas, married and raised my children there, and most recently spent a year and a half working in West Texas among the ranching community. A breed apart - you bet. Strong, independent, brave, and true lovers of freedom - you got all of that right. Ignorant (Dallas Cowboy lovers notwithstanding rolling eyes ) nothing like that. They collectively did not acquire those traits being ignorant. eyebrow

Feb 13th 2013 new

--hide--
Texas is truly a different world. A friend and his wife lived in the country south of Dallas, and he told me if I hear a gunshot it's just a neighbor shooting an armadillo in their vegetable garden or a rattlesnake between them and their car. When my friend drove his truck to work, he walked out the door with his coffee mug in one hand and a .357 Magnum in the other for the rattlers. Another Texan I know once shot a repo man on his property, and only had to fill out a police report. A real Texan doesn't dial 911 in an emergency. It's a far different place than the People's Republic of Maryland where unfortunately I call home.

Feb 13th 2013 new

Peter: ... 357 Magnum in the other ...

Yeah. Texans love their fire power, and I love mine. Love to shoot for sport. In the immortal words of the defenders of the Alamo and San Jacinto "...come and get it." But look - the spaces are huge - there is room to shoot off of your back porch.

I have to say - some of the true pioneer families that I have had the privilege to meet just blew me away. And, actually, Dallas is something else altogether, but when I see the cosmoplitan cultures that have grown up out of Austin and San Antonio - and I can remember when they each had populations of about 100,000 each - naaaah. Not ignorant people by any means. Still the most space for one's dollar value and the cheapest cost of living of the majority of the 50 states.

Feb 13th 2013 new

Definitely different.

I lived there in the 1980s. Loved the people, hated the climate.

I wouldn't say "more traditional values". Instead, I would say "clear, direct, thinking". Texas will talk endlessly about their high school football team, but anything more serious is put to rest in three sentences and a quick decision.

Feb 14th 2013 new

Gosh darn it, Beverly, you figured me out! Yes, agitating, at least now Les has some answers to her questions.

BTW, I love Texans. They are way better than those wishy, washy New Englanders, or those West Coast freaks. Oops! shocked

There I go again...Agitating!! wink laughing

Feb 14th 2013 new

(Quote) A real Texan doesn't dial 911 in an emergency.
(Quote) A real Texan doesn't dial 911 in an emergency.
--hide--

Good one, Peter!

Feb 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Texas is truly a different world. A friend and his wife lived in the country south of Dallas, and...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Texas is truly a different world. A friend and his wife lived in the country south of Dallas, and he told me if I hear a gunshot it's just a neighbor shooting an armadillo in their vegetable garden or a rattlesnake between them and their car. When my friend drove his truck to work, he walked out the door with his coffee mug in one hand and a .357 Magnum in the other for the rattlers. Another Texan I know once shot a repo man on his property, and only had to fill out a police report. A real Texan doesn't dial 911 in an emergency. It's a far different place than the People's Republic of Maryland where unfortunately I call home.

--hide--
Is that what it is Peter? I thought it was 119! Duh....Jerry! Btw, we used to be called "The Republic of Texas" (only state in the union to be taken by treaty)

Feb 16th 2013 new
Thanks all for your replies! Funny, but being from the UK I might have missed some insider (US) jokes! With the news of Holy Father etc events have overtaken us and I haven't had a chance to peruse it, but appreciate those that answered. Might take it up again for a few comments certainly raised the eyebrow!
Posts 1 - 10 of 55