Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I have been sittng back this Valentine's Day, listening to a lot of catholic radio today (I had a long drive in the car) and also refelcting on a lot of people's posts on this website, and one thought has been stirring in me all day. AND THAT IS THE FACT THAT BEING CALLED TO BE SINGLE IS HOLY.

I realize may of us on here "want" to be married. But let's be careful that this is not our culture influenicing us, and I would say influenncing us in a very false manner. WHERE WE ARE, RIGHT NOW IN OUR LIVES, IS JUST FINE WITH GOD. AS A MATTER OF FACT, IT IS MORE THAN FINE, IT IS EXACTLY WHERE HE WANTS US TO BE. I know our culture places demands on us; I feel them also all the time. My favorite is the question - "why aren't you married?" Which behind these type of questions is a hint of the question- "what is wrong with you?" Our culture oftentimes places being married as more valuable and as normal, looks on a calling to a religious life with skepticism and confusion, and then looks down upon those of us single. BUT LIKE WITH SO MANY OTHER THINGS, OUR POPULAR CULTURE IS WRONG!

As I listened to a lot of well intentioned people on Catholic radio today talking about the sanctity of married life (and it is, I am not denying that), I wanted to scream at the radio "SO IS BEING SINGLE. THAT IS A HOLY VOCATION AS WELL." We all come from a loving God and we are all returining to a loving God, and where I am right now is just fine. It is right where God wants me - He wants me to be single.

So I hope and pray for some of you who may be a little down today with all the Valentine's Day talk to reverse your view of being single.

GIVE THANKS AND PRAISE TO GOD THAT YOU ARE SINGLE. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTS. HE HAS CALLED YOU TO THIS FOR SPECIAL AND HOLY REASONS. WE ARE SINGLE, YES, LET US SHOUT WITH JOY WITH THE ANGELS IN HEAVEN FOR MAKING US SINGLE THIS DAY. PRAISE AND THANKSGIVING TO GOD FOR CALLING IS TO LIVE OUR CATHOLIC LIVES THIS DAY AS A SINGLE MAN OR WOMAN. Amen.

Feb 14th 2013 new

[quote]Jay-564527 said:

AND THAT IS THE FACT THAT BEING CALLED TO BE SINGLE IS HOLY. WHERE WE ARE, RIGHT NOW IN OUR LIVES, IS JUST FINE WITH GOD. AS A MATTER OF FACT, IT IS MORE THAN FINE, IT IS EXACTLY WHERE HE WANTS US TO BE.

If only I were married then... It's a struggle with our inner consciousness to wake up our hearts to what it is God's calling us to be. We are destined to be united to God in His Heavenly Kingdom. While on earth it is a challenge to live out the vocation we have. If I am restless it is because I long for that desire that is more important than the things I know won't satisfy.
In the writings of a famous Saint, St. Teresa of Avila says many are called and few are chosen.
Thanks for you post Jay. You said it right that where we are is exactly where God wants us to be. I have peace when I know that I've done what I can each day and to be a kind and generous. Praying is so important to be open to the opportunities that are given. With creativity and care life can be fulfilling, whether single, married or a priest/religious.
Happy Valentine's Day,

Liz

Feb 15th 2013 new
Jay nice comments..... God is in control of our lives
Feb 16th 2013 new

Your headline got my Irish up, but what you say is very true.

I especially like your statement: WHERE WE ARE, RIGHT NOW IN OUR LIVES, IS JUST FINE WITH GOD. clap

Anyone who asks, "Why aren't you married?" doesn't deserve an answer.

Good post!

Feb 16th 2013 new

I KNOW I am right where God wants me to be. The time I need to do all He wants of me and to learn all I need to learn from Him and about Him doesn't leave much time. I don't write much -- but enjoyed reading this because it truly hit home with me.

Thanks for confirming what I feel!

Feb 17th 2013 new

This was lovely, Jay. Thank you for sharing it!

Feb 17th 2013 new

Hello Jay. smile Thank you for this post, for your reflections. When I in my twenties and thirties, the question I was asked most often was "Why are you single?" I heard this question not hundreds but thousands of times. I couldn't figure why I was being asked this question so often. wide eyed I began to wonder if it might not be God's way of telling that I should not remain single, yet, I knew I felt good being single. heart Even though I did not have to answer the question, I often chose to do so by saying, "Because I enjoy living on my own"; "I prefer to study rather than to date"; "I am born again in the faith and discerning if I am called to a religious vocation", "I haven't met the right person", "My lifestyle is not one that is conducive to a relationship" etc. goldfish Yet, deep inside I felt and still do feel that being single is a great state of being, a vocation in its own right, a way of drawing closer to God. present It certainly is not easy, but there are many joys, too. Blessings to all of us who are single. You get a Gold Star!

Posts 1 - 7 of 7