Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Should Catholics have shorter courtship periods before getting married to reduce the temptation for illicit sexual activity?
Feb 15th 2013 new

Absolutely not! The courthship is a period of discernment. Why would you want to make it shorter?

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Daniel-634934 said: Absolutely not! The courthship is a period of discernment. Why would you want to make it shorter...
(Quote) Daniel-634934 said:

Absolutely not! The courthship is a period of discernment. Why would you want to make it shorter?

--hide--

Wisdom alert. wave clap clap clap Bow

Feb 15th 2013 new

John..When was the last time you had a date? A real live person to person date? If you spent as much time actually dating as you do asking questions about dating most of these questions would be answered by real life..

Every couples courtship is unique and different.. Only the couple can determine the course of their courtship.

Feb 15th 2013 new
(Quote) Donna-83441 said: John..When was the last time you had a date? A real live person to person date? If you spent as much time
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

John..When was the last time you had a date? A real live person to person date? If you spent as much time actually dating as you do asking questions about dating most of these questions would be answered by real life..

Every couples courtship is unique and different.. Only the couple can determine the course of their courtship.

--hide--

i know folks who dated for 3 month, became engaged, married 4 month later and 30 years on are still married and as much attached to their partners as the day they said their vows...and some who dated for yesrs, had long engagements, and were divorced after 5 years.

Length of time is no guarantee of longevity of the marriage. Commitment to the sacrament, flexibility and willingness to compromise when need be, a sense of humor, and honesty about your intentions contributes. As Donna said, it's up to the couple. NO ONE else.
Feb 15th 2013 new
(Quote) Bryan-7889 said: i know folks who dated for 3 month, became engaged, married 4 month later and 30 years on are still married ...
(Quote) Bryan-7889 said:

i know folks who dated for 3 month, became engaged, married 4 month later and 30 years on are still married and as much attached to their partners as the day they said their vows...and some who dated for yesrs, had long engagements, and were divorced after 5 years.

Length of time is no guarantee of longevity of the marriage. Commitment to the sacrament, flexibility and willingness to compromise when need be, a sense of humor, and honesty about your intentions contributes. As Donna said, it's up to the couple. NO ONE else.
--hide--

Pardon the misspellings...darn iPad keyboard...
Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Bryan-7889 said: (Quote) Bryan-7889 said: i know folks who dated for 3 month, became engaged, marri...
(Quote) Bryan-7889 said:
Quote:
Bryan-7889 said:

Pardon the misspellings...darn iPad keyboard...
--hide--

LOL, I have the same problem Bryan

Feb 15th 2013 new

Yes. Absolutely.

Dating is a time of discernment. So discern quickly. Do it right. Actually spend time finding stuff out. All that discerning will take up the time you might have spent doing that illicit sexual activity. Seriously, it is just plan stupid when two people get married and they don't know all sorts of important things abiout one another.

Feb 15th 2013 new

The trick is to ignore the stuff that leads to messing around and get down to the business of finding out who the other person is, and who YOU are in his/her company and whether you can form an effective and fruitful partnership.

If you can treat it like a business proposition, it needed take too much time, I suppose. Of course, work and familial interruptions play their part....

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Bryan-7889 said: i know folks who dated for 3 month, became engaged, married 4 month later and 30 years on are stil...
(Quote) Bryan-7889 said:

--hide--

I did a private duty case with an 80+ year old couple.. They met in the 1930's when he (John) attended a birthday party for his friends cousin.. The cousin was engaged to the daughter(Margaret) of his mothers best friend..The party was down in KY.. John and Margaret met and conversed on that Saturday. On Monday he drove down and secretly picked her up.. They made a 54 year marriage out of that elopement..Til the day Margaret died in her sleep.. They only had each other, having had two children stillborn and very little other family. John was an only child and Margaret had one brother.

I've seen people from here meet and get married on a 2nd or 3rd F2F..I know one woman from here that met a man on another site and they married on their first F2F after about a 6 weeks of phone conversations.. On the other hand there are others that never move beyond the dating phase and break up after years of dating..

Posts 1 - 10 of 46