Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Why do we fall in love?

Feb 15th 2013 new

Happy Valentine's Day to you all,

I attended a discussion at the College library about the topic of love as a way to spend my Valentine's Day this year. I wasn't in the mood to ask anyone out tonight and nobody asked me out to do something. I did ask a couple of friends to come with me to this discussion but only got a rejection from them.

Anyways, I found out different reasons to why we fall in love from different attendees. It seems like chemical reactions in the body was one of the major factors or as many would say "chemistry." Some people during the discussion mentioned arranged marriages, philosophy, and religions too.

I mentioned that different generations in our society has a different view on love. The couple of people who understood what I was saying were people in my age category. It seems like in my age group category I'm constantly bombarded with the whole idea of "experimenting." Surely, I'm guilty of buying into that idea but at the same time I don't like it. Surely, I've experienced what I like and didn't like in the past.

The whole "YOLO" idea was whispered among the people in my age category as something normal day to day topic. It translates to "You ONLY LIVE ONCE."

I can be wrong on my observations about my peers and how easily acceptable at my age to be doing those "experiments." There are a couple of us among many people in my age category who wants that honest relationship and aren't against dating.

A guy there agreed with the fact that it's a common thing to hear guys in my age group getting asked to go to the "bars" and "clubs" by our peers for that reason of you might get "lucky."

Do older generations saw that a common day to day conversation or I'm just imagining that my generation is more experimental with the whole idea of dating? While I'm typing my thoughts on here the more my mind wants to ignore wanting to know because it would show me being the "weird" young guy. Why would I care about what people think of me now after I've posted this topic?

I believe that's the problem I have and many people would not admit at my age about asking such questions like this one because it makes them vulnerable. I for sure can sense some older generations on this website ready to tear this whole topic apart into pieces laughing!

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Feb 15th 2013 new

Ezrah, I am one of the "older" generation you mentioned, but I am not going to criticize you. Young people throughout the ages question, dream, wonder, & yes, experiment. That last one can get you into trouble, confuse you, even degrade you & a partner. You sound like you have a solid foundation. It is good to question, search, dream, & follow your dreams, which hopefully, coincide with your beliefs. Stay strong against the temptations of the world. Grow in your faith, enter into a personal relationship with Jesus, who will give you the strength you need to face the obstacles of life. Yes, you will fail, you will make foolish mistakes as each of us humans have made, but God's grace will lift you up & set you back on the right path. You might want to study some on the Theology of the Body. You can google it. Even though I am older, I have learned a lot from it.

YOLO may be the buzz word of today and it's true, you only live once. But the way you live this one life will determine what your eternity will be! Strange as it may seem to some people, living a virtuous life will bring you much joy! The worldly pleasures that some seek only lead to emptiness & lonliness.

I promise to pray for you in your struggles & in your searches. God be with you!

Barbara

Feb 15th 2013 new

Thank you Barbara :)! I believe I was having a bad night ashamed... Usually I can ignore about my thoughts regarding this kind of topic.

I started researching the Theology of the Body. I came across many good articles on the Internet. It was a bit hard to follow what the articles were telling at me first so I had to read it over again.

I appreciate you for letting me know that "young people throughout the ages question, dream, wonder, & yes, experiment." I guess I just need to be better at keeping my own observations to myself unless someone asks for my opinion. I did feel bad for making those judgement about people in my age category. I need to be more understanding about those mistakes made by others and not be part of the group who constantly judge the young generation as being bad. Since, I too have a responsibility to set good examples and be a good influence for them. In essence I just have to be a better self.

Happy Birthday Happy Birthday! , Ms. Barbara biggrin! May this day be a beautiful one for you.

Feb 15th 2013 new

Happy Birthday Barbara! Happy Birthday! wave

Feb 15th 2013 new

Ezrah, I wish I lived nearby, I would have loved to join you at the lecture, as my week as been full of rejection as well...

My best contribution is: love is irrational, and is inspired by Jesus on the cross- in love our sacrifices and joys and sorrows are fueled by the Holy Spirit; He who resides inside of our hearts, and reaches out to the Holy Spirit in others. When we are heartbroken, and must fall out of love, we must reject the Holy Spirit in the other, and I think that is the pain; when we distance ourselves from what we recognized as a deep, spiritual connection. There is no rationalizing why we fall in love, because we are simply meant to love. Experimenting is a good idea, I think; though I don't believe it helps us refine our search (people will maintain they only like a "type" but fall for another ALL the time- even if they defy their standards) but it does help to give experience in what works and what doesn't work, and if you're open to experimenting, you're more likely to meet a variety of people, one of whom could be the love you're looking for. I'm sure young people have wanted to experiment for generations, hundreds of years at least- it's just nowadays it is more acceptable to admit it.

Sorry if you had a sub-par Valentine's Day though- I woulda been your Valentine valentine I went and saw the new Die Hard movie, and broke my diet to eat a box of popcorn cloud (it was back to broccoli/mango juice this morning though!)

Feb 15th 2013 new

It's a re-run, dude.

Your generation's not unique.

Our generation's been there, done that, and learned through our mistakes...and would hate to see y'all make the same ones we did.

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Barbara-840514 said: Ezrah, I am one of the "older" generation you mentioned, but I am not going to critic...
(Quote) Barbara-840514 said:

Ezrah, I am one of the "older" generation you mentioned, but I am not going to criticize you. Young people throughout the ages question, dream, wonder, & yes, experiment. That last one can get you into trouble, confuse you, even degrade you & a partner. You sound like you have a solid foundation. It is good to question, search, dream, & follow your dreams, which hopefully, coincide with your beliefs. Stay strong against the temptations of the world. Grow in your faith, enter into a personal relationship with Jesus, who will give you the strength you need to face the obstacles of life. Yes, you will fail, you will make foolish mistakes as each of us humans have made, but God's grace will lift you up & set you back on the right path. You might want to study some on the Theology of the Body. You can google it. Even though I am older, I have learned a lot from it.

YOLO may be the buzz word of today and it's true, you only live once. But the way you live this one life will determine what your eternity will be! Strange as it may seem to some people, living a virtuous life will bring you much joy! The worldly pleasures that some seek only lead to emptiness & lonliness.

I promise to pray for you in your struggles & in your searches. God be with you!

Barbara

--hide--

Happy birthday party party party present Happy Birthday! princess

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: It's a re-run, dude. Your generation's not unique. Our generation's...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

It's a re-run, dude.

Your generation's not unique.

Our generation's been there, done that, and learned through our mistakes...and would hate to see y'all make the same ones we did.

--hide--

Well thank you, Marge...a "re-run..." sounds like the best way to describe what I was looking for in my thoughts. It makes a bit sense to me because history itself sometimes can show what "might" happen in the future.

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: Ezrah, I wish I lived nearby, I would have loved to join you at the lecture, as my week as been fu...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

Ezrah, I wish I lived nearby, I would have loved to join you at the lecture, as my week as been full of rejection as well...

My best contribution is: love is irrational, and is inspired by Jesus on the cross- in love our sacrifices and joys and sorrows are fueled by the Holy Spirit; He who resides inside of our hearts, and reaches out to the Holy Spirit in others. When we are heartbroken, and must fall out of love, we must reject the Holy Spirit in the other, and I think that is the pain; when we distance ourselves from what we recognized as a deep, spiritual connection. There is no rationalizing why we fall in love, because we are simply meant to love. Experimenting is a good idea, I think; though I don't believe it helps us refine our search (people will maintain they only like a "type" but fall for another ALL the time- even if they defy their standards) but it does help to give experience in what works and what doesn't work, and if you're open to experimenting, you're more likely to meet a variety of people, one of whom could be the love you're looking for. I'm sure young people have wanted to experiment for generations, hundreds of years at least- it's just nowadays it is more acceptable to admit it.

Sorry if you had a sub-par Valentine's Day though- I woulda been your Valentine I went and saw the new Die Hard movie, and broke my diet to eat a box of popcorn (it was back to broccoli/mango juice this morning though!)

--hide--

Thank you, Mary biggrin! I believe you made a good point about what we see around us: "it's just nowadays it is more acceptable to admit it." I don't limit my opinions base on myself but what I just hear and see around me from different people.

I wouldn't mind your company smile. I hope you had a good time watching the new Die Hard movie and eating popcorn :goldstar! That's an interesting mix: broccoli/mango juice eyebrow.

Posts 1 - 9 of 9