Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Marysia-253828 said: Anybody else concerned about the fact that there are so many Catholic Churches out there withou...
(Quote) Marysia-253828 said:

Anybody else concerned about the fact that there are so many Catholic Churches out there without kneelers, where the Tabernacle is placed anywere beside the center of the altar and genuflection is becoming a thing of the past?

--hide--

Very much so. And add to that calling the Priest by his Christian name without title. I have 5 friends, I went to school with or grew up with, who are Priests and I call them Father.

Its due in large part to the warm and fuzzies taking over from the core teachings and Cannonical Law. We need fewer Homilies on being PC and more Catechism from the pulpit. The laity need reminding of the Laws and Customs of the Church God founded on the Rock of Peter.

Afterall when you stand before HIM on your last day you stand alone. You have to answer for YOUR life and beliefs and Faith no-one elses. But most have not a clue, though ignorance is no excuse. I heard on EWTN the other day a Priest say we have forgotten God is a jealous God a Vengeful God, lost among the "nice and warm" teaching of Modernist Ecumenicism where we all love each other and dance hand in hand into the sunset as one big group. When in fact the Pearly Gates are not flung wide but let a single soul through at a time each answering for themselves.

Feb 16th 2013 new

I agree. I go to a small mission church that only has one mass. I understand why many people don't kneel. We can't afford pews and the chairs are packed together so there's not really room to kneel. However, 4-5 of us do it anyways. I've only seen 1 person genuflect, besides me, in all the years I've been going. It's not as bad as some of the contemporary Christian churches though. Many of them don't even stand for the gospel. Apalling!

Feb 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: Very much so. And add to that calling the Priest by his Christian name without title. ...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

Very much so. And add to that calling the Priest by his Christian name without title. I have 5 friends, I went to school with or grew up with, who are Priests and I call them Father.

Its due in large part to the warm and fuzzies taking over from the core teachings and Cannonical Law. We need fewer Homilies on being PC and more Catechism from the pulpit. The laity need reminding of the Laws and Customs of the Church God founded on the Rock of Peter.

Afterall when you stand before HIM on your last day you stand alone. You have to answer for YOUR life and beliefs and Faith no-one elses. But most have not a clue, though ignorance is no excuse. I heard on EWTN the other day a Priest say we have forgotten God is a jealous God a Vengeful God, lost among the "nice and warm" teaching of Modernist Ecumenicism where we all love each other and dance hand in hand into the sunset as one big group. When in fact the Pearly Gates are not flung wide but let a single soul through at a time each answering for themselves.

--hide--

Calling a priest by his given name rather than using his title depends on the circumstance. Examples; a mother or father would not be showing irreverence by referring to their son, a priest by his given name, nor would it be with his siblings and other close relatives. Priests do not show irreverence by referring to other priests by their given names in private situations.

A former seminary classmate of mine is a member of areligious order. As with many orders, his name was changed when he took vows. I still think of him by his given name Joe and would not be irreverent of me to refer to him that way in private. In public, that would be another matter.

It is extremely wrong, in public situations, to refer to a priest by his given name excpt for parents, siblings and close relatives.

Other possibilities exist as well. Although comparatively rare in the Latin rite, there is nothing wrong with a married priest's wife and or children to refer to him by his given name or other endearing titles.

Feb 16th 2013 new

Churches are definitley getting back to being well designed with an idea of the sacred. Cruciform churches are very nice, but I've seen plenty of newr ones that achieve a sacred space with a different floor design. I've also seen a few retrofits that did a marvelous job turning a horrid architectural job into a very Catholic space.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Calling a priest by his given name rather than using his title depends on the circumstanc...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Calling a priest by his given name rather than using his title depends on the circumstance. Examples; a mother or father would not be showing irreverence by referring to their son, a priest by his given name, nor would it be with his siblings and other close relatives. Priests do not show irreverence by referring to other priests by their given names in private situations.

A former seminary classmate of mine is a member of areligious order. As with many orders, his name was changed when he took vows. I still think of him by his given name Joe and would not be irreverent of me to refer to him that way in private. In public, that would be another matter.

It is extremely wrong, in public situations, to refer to a priest by his given name excpt for parents, siblings and close relatives.

Other possibilities exist as well. Although comparatively rare in the Latin rite, there is nothing wrong with a married priest's wife and or children to refer to him by his given name or other endearing titles.

--hide--

Thats vastly different to any member of the laity calling the Priest Joe or Brian or Fred and not using his EARNED and REVERVED title of Father. As I said I call my friends Father, they are Priests and the embodiment of Christ deserving of respect and dignity of office. Not a bloke you met in the pub after work on Friday afternoon.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Julie-909449 said: I agree. I go to a small mission church that only has one mass. I understand why many people don&...
(Quote) Julie-909449 said:

I agree. I go to a small mission church that only has one mass. I understand why many people don't kneel. We can't afford pews and the chairs are packed together so there's not really room to kneel. However, 4-5 of us do it anyways. I've only seen 1 person genuflect, besides me, in all the years I've been going. It's not as bad as some of the contemporary Christian churches though. Many of them don't even stand for the gospel. Apalling!

--hide--

I have arthritis and a missing vertebrae in my back and I kneel with or without kneelers, I do it as a penance for my sins, but also hope others may see and follow suit, it works sometime but most of the time they dont care, especially the Priests who care even less and make NO effort to enforce the Church recent rules, as per Pope Benedict.

We live in hope

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: he opens his mouth and the Blood spews from him, I am trying desperately to catch as ...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

he opens his mouth and the [Precious] Blood spews from him, I am trying desperately to catch as much as I can, but it splatters to the floor of the pew and out into the aisle. [...] [later] the poor little guy realizing tha what he did has really shook everyone up is really sheepish. Fr. was great, he took the purificators and the little boys white shirt and rinsed them in the sacrarium and explained to the little one what he was doing and why. It was completely horrific and yet was turned into a blessed teaching moment and imparted the importance of the Eucharist and reverence in a manner we could never have accomplished otherwise.

--hide--

I commend Father for turning this into a teaching moment. But why weren't the children taught all this BEFORE they received first Communion? Isn't an understanding of what they are receiving a prerequisite for receiving the sacrament?

Feb 17th 2013 new

One of the most disgusting lack of reverence I see today, in addition to all those already mentioned in this thread, are the gum chewers, who chomp away all during mass and then go up to receive communion without even removing the gum from their mouths.

We also have a couple of men who come in with their hats on and don't remove them at all during the entire mass.

Feb 17th 2013 new

[quote]Marysia-253828 said:

Anybody else concerned about the fact that there are so many Catholic Churches out there without kneelers, where the Tabernacle is placed anywere beside the center of the altar and genuflection is becoming a thing of the past?

Hi Marysia,

Thanks for an excellent post. It's not just the physical characteristics of churches that are changing, but the experience of mass as well. This past Ash Wednesday, we were unable to attend mass at our home parish because of the schedule. We decided to attend mass at another local church. We walked into church and on each side of the alter were a stack of speakers, two 60"+ monitors mounted on the walls at the side of the alter. During services, music blared from amplified instruments/microphones, the monitors were used to screen lyrics to songs and prayers. The experience lacked any semblance of reverence for the "house of God." These distractions certainly took away for the sacred experience of attending mass. Yes, the church is Catholic.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I commend Father for turning this into a teaching moment. But why weren't the childre...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

I commend Father for turning this into a teaching moment. But why weren't the children taught all this BEFORE they received first Communion? Isn't an understanding of what they are receiving a prerequisite for receiving the sacrament?

--hide--

They were taught all of this before First Communion, the one thing they had not been prepared for was the taste of the Eucharistic wine. And we are talking about seven year olds who generally react without thinking. We corrected that with subsequent classes.

Posts 31 - 40 of 84