Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Hello everyone,smile

I have been a CM member on-an-off for the past ten years (during the years of 'Aloha Carl', for old-timers). Snowboarding Sunrise I first subscribed to CM because I was working overseas in remote areas so I sought I could seek out acquaintances and friendships only. scratchchin I was impressed by the quality of every man and woman I corresponded with, with whom I was abe to share about so many things. I will never forget them, and continue to pray for them. Praying Nowadays, although I am still seeking prayer buddies, correspondents, acquaintances and friends only, I am also open to the possibility of perhaps meeting a life companion via CM. highfive

I found a brief article that describes love relationship types. valentine Do you recognize your type? Do you believe love can be categorized in this fashion? Do you have a category of your own or an anecdote you would like share with us that these make you think of? What do you think? gangster duck lovestruck! :cupid: :lol:

Six Types of Love

In a classic book titled Colors of Love (1973), J. A. Lee defined six varieties of relationship that might be labeled love.

What six different types of love did J. A. Lee define?

Eros is romantic, passionate, love—what Tennov labeled limerence. In this type of relationship, love is life's most important thing. Lee said a search for physical beauty or an ideal type also typifies this type of love.

Ludus is a game-playing or uncommitted love. Lying is part of the game. A person who pursues ludic love may have many conquests but remains uncommitted.

Storge (STORE-gay) is a slow developing, friendship-based loved. People with this type of relationship like to participate in activities together. Often storge results in a long-term relationship in which sex might not be very intense or passionate.

Pragma is a pragmatic, practical, mutually beneficial relationship. It may be somewhat unromantic. A person who leans toward this type of relationship may look for a partner at work or where the person is spending time. Sex is likely to be seen as a technical matter needed for producing children, if they are desired.

Mania is an obsessive or possessive love, jealous and extreme. A person in love this way is likely to do something crazy or silly, such as stalking. The movie Fatal Attraction was about this type.

Agape (a-GOP-aye) is a gentle, caring, giving type of love, brotherly love, not concerned with the self. It is relatively rare. Mother Theresa showed this kind of love for impoverished people.

What have researchers found, in studying Lee's six types of love?

Hendrick, Hendrick, Slapion-Foote, and Foote (1985) found that men were more likely to show the ludic type of love, while women were more likely to be storgic or pragmatic.

Studies of couples happily married for over 30 years showed that couples who rated their marriages as highly satisfactory described their relationship in terms which resembled erotic love more than the other five types. This might be surprising; in view of the earlier-mentioned finding that limerence type relationships tend to flare out quickly among college students. However, it might be the case that long-term relationships that contain both friendship and a passionate spark are more likely to endure and provide satisfaction to both parties than relationships that are low-key and pragmatic.

www.psywww.com

02/16/2013 new

Too complicated.

Erotic, Platonic, Agapaic. The others in that article are not "love" at all, IMHO.

You start as platonic friends. Your caring for each other grows and purifies into agapaic love. And eventually you crown it with eros (the icing on the cake).

02/16/2013 new

My sister gave me a book a long time ago - very thin - but an easy read.

"Love is Something You Do" by John Bisagno. He was a pastor at a huge Baptist Church in Houston, Texas. It talks/discusses many aspects of the Christian marriage.

It was out of print for awhile but could buy used ones on Amazon. I lent mine out to someone and never got it back. I would to get another one.

02/16/2013 new

(Quote) Francine-132290 said: Hello everyone, I have been a CM member on-an-off for the past ten ye...
(Quote) Francine-132290 said:

Hello everyone,

I have been a CM member on-an-off for the past ten years (during the years of 'Aloha Carl', for old-timers). I first subscribed to CM because I was working overseas in remote areas so I sought I could seek out acquaintances and friendships only. I was impressed by the quality of every man and woman I corresponded with, with whom I was abe to share about so many things. I will never forget them, and continue to pray for them. Nowadays, although I am still seeking prayer buddies, correspondents, acquaintances and friends only, I am also open to the possibility of perhaps meeting a life companion via CM.

I found a brief article that describes love relationship types. Do you recognize your type? Do you believe love can be categorized in this fashion? Do you have a category of your own or an anecdote you would like share with us that these make you think of? What do you think?

Six Types of Love

In a classic book titled Colors of Love (1973), J. A. Lee defined six varieties of relationship that might be labeled love.

What six different types of love did J. A. Lee define?

Eros is romantic, passionate, love—what Tennov labeled limerence. In this type of relationship, love is life's most important thing. Lee said a search for physical beauty or an ideal type also typifies this type of love.

Ludus is a game-playing or uncommitted love. Lying is part of the game. A person who pursues ludic love may have many conquests but remains uncommitted.

Storge (STORE-gay) is a slow developing, friendship-based loved. People with this type of relationship like to participate in activities together. Often storge results in a long-term relationship in which sex might not be very intense or passionate.

Pragma is a pragmatic, practical, mutually beneficial relationship. It may be somewhat unromantic. A person who leans toward this type of relationship may look for a partner at work or where the person is spending time. Sex is likely to be seen as a technical matter needed for producing children, if they are desired.

Mania is an obsessive or possessive love, jealous and extreme. A person in love this way is likely to do something crazy or silly, such as stalking. The movie Fatal Attraction was about this type.

Agape (a-GOP-aye) is a gentle, caring, giving type of love, brotherly love, not concerned with the self. It is relatively rare. Mother Theresa showed this kind of love for impoverished people.

What have researchers found, in studying Lee's six types of love?

Hendrick, Hendrick, Slapion-Foote, and Foote (1985) found that men were more likely to show the ludic type of love, while women were more likely to be storgic or pragmatic.

Studies of couples happily married for over 30 years showed that couples who rated their marriages as highly satisfactory described their relationship in terms which resembled erotic love more than the other five types. This might be surprising; in view of the earlier-mentioned finding that limerence type relationships tend to flare out quickly among college students. However, it might be the case that long-term relationships that contain both friendship and a passionate spark are more likely to endure and provide satisfaction to both parties than relationships that are low-key and pragmatic.

www.psywww.com

--hide--

Acquinas's definition is simple, elegant, and includes the forms of love you listed: he said "To love is to will the good of another."

theheart

02/16/2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Acquinas's definition is simple, elegant, and includes the forms of love you lis...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Acquinas's definition is simple, elegant, and includes the forms of love you listed: he said "To love is to will the good of another."

--hide--

Brilliantly quoted David and detailed in its very succinctness. Even the secular can sometimes glimpse beyond the veil of faith and grasp the concept of love as it should be as evidenced in one of my favorite sonnets by William Shakespeare. Shakespeare, even with his secular mind and values, was able to understand the Agape concept of love that needs to be part of Eros love for it to truly realize the fullness of God's plan.

SONNET 116

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Posts 1 - 5 of 5