Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: I define harbor as to give aid and comfort (comfort not in a warm and fuzzy sentimental...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

I define harbor as to give aid and comfort (comfort not in a warm and fuzzy sentimental sense, but rather in the sense that one is giving another a chance to refresh and strengthen in fortitude).

I have to confess, I don't understand your subsequent comment. I'm not very up on political jargon as I don't watch television at all...and don't read much media sources...so I don't get the references: "W H toddlers' homogeneous 'idea' pool"? What is this? :) Thanks in advance.

--hide--
Hi Chelsea, the current W H doesn't seem to have a lot of discussion. Even LBJ kept some "tame" dissnters around for alternate viewpoints. Minutes of the RR NSC meetings show a lot of back and forth too. The whole drone program has gotten out of control. The way every situation is stretched and extrapolated to support administration wishes is, IMHO, dangerous.

A perhaps silly question : does a country have to be aware of a terrorist's presence to be guilty of harboring, and thereby subject to drone strikes inside it's own sovereign boundaries ? I suspect that many countries will have a much different definition than whatever this month's W H consensus happens to be. Suppose a critically wounded terror suspect in the Algerian fiasco was transported to one of the seven bordering countries, without knowledge of that government. There are many levels, up through simple awareness, to residence, to resupply, finance, armament, and international transport. Has the W H published any guidelines on where the line is crossed in their opinion ? Have any of these been before the USSC ? Just IMHO, there appears to be a blindered, homogeneous outlook. Of course, as with any topic in this area, those folks at the W H and the alphabet agencies have information we may never see.

When U S military aircraft entered Libya in 1986, the French wanted to be so antiseptically distanced that they refused to allow the U S force to even fly over French territory.

Just me, it feels dangerous that one individual is making these decisions with what appears to be input from only one viewpoint, with no declaration of war, and not even some sort of enabling legislation or resolution.

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: Better yet, why not we declare war against those sovereigns who harbor the ones who act...

Better yet, why not we declare war against those sovereigns who harbor the ones who actually attack us?...instead of committing acts of terror upon people within their borders.

--hide--
Hi Chelsea, good point. That could be a pretty long list.

Feb 15th 2013 new

I just realized when you write W H, you mean White House. Boy that clears up a lot! haha! laughing

Feb 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: Better yet, why not we declare war against those sovereigns who harbor the ones who act...

Better yet, why not we declare war against those sovereigns who harbor the ones who actually attack us?...instead of committing acts of terror upon people within their borders.

--hide--

And your proposal for the situations where the sovereigns are not deliberately harboring the attackers but they are in the country nonetheless?

Feb 16th 2013 new

(Quote) John-842063 said: (Quote) John-336509 said: What proof, due process, or transperency was there when ...
(Quote) John-842063 said:

Quote:
John-336509 said: What proof, due process, or transperency was there when US dive bombers jumped the Japanese carriers off Midway? While I agree that Obama is sorely lacking in many qualities, that doesn't justify evaluating military combat operations using the criteria for a police investigstion.

I need to google this when I am on a faster computer, but was this before or after Christmas?

--hide--

The Battle of Midway was June of '42, so whether you want to call it before or after Christmas depends on which Christmas you're talking about.

Feb 16th 2013 new

--hide--

And if for the sake of argument we assume that Pakistan is deliberately harboring, would it really be better to declare war against a nuclear-armed country than to conduct a smaller scale operation like what is currently going on?

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: The Battle of Midway was June of '42, so whether you want to call it before or after ...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

The Battle of Midway was June of '42, so whether you want to call it before or after Christmas depends on which Christmas you're talking about.

--hide--
December 7, 1941: The Day The Japanese Attacked Pearl Harbor(I have heard it was on the Christmas holiday- should be better at history than I am)- so Midaway was after Christmas....

Feb 19th 2013 new

An interesting look at UAV striles from several angles : www.stratfor.com

Feb 20th 2013 new

They hate us for our freedom.

Posts 41 - 49 of 49