Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 16th 2013 new

oh ... most of the beef you will eat in SD, comes from SD (or ND). very good beef. mostly raised on grass. There is a very good deli / meat market at Kessler's. They make it all in house. If you are asking which part of the cow? I have no idea. probably the chuck - but its pretty lean, so it might be the flank or round.

Feb 16th 2013 new
(Quote) Theresa-911246 said: I just excepted a transfer to South Dakota with my employer. I did some research about the weather and found ...
(Quote) Theresa-911246 said:

I just excepted a transfer to South Dakota with my employer. I did some research about the weather and found out there are tonado's and heavy winters. I did research it before I applied but the midwestern lifestyle is appealing. My coworkers, friends and parents are telling about harsh conditions and what if scenerios. I have mixed emotions about leaving everyone behind too. On the upside I have heard the summers are nice and warm. It will take three days driving and over 1300 miles, 1600 if I cant take the pass. My dad suggests snow chains.

Does anyone have suggestions on preparing for the trip?

--hide--

JUST DO IT!!!!! And buy a pair of Nike Sneakers!!
Feb 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Kate-912649 said: oh ... most of the beef you will eat in SD, comes from SD (or ND). very good beef. mostly raised o...
(Quote) Kate-912649 said:

oh ... most of the beef you will eat in SD, comes from SD (or ND). very good beef. mostly raised on grass. There is a very good deli / meat market at Kessler's. They make it all in house. If you are asking which part of the cow? I have no idea. probably the chuck - but its pretty lean, so it might be the flank or round.

--hide--
If there's one thing I've learned from traveling, its to be open to new things. If the locals are suggesting the dish, it must be good. It must be the city slicker in me saying no,no,no. There are three words I dont say unless I'm sure, I love, I like or I will never. In this case I won't say never.

Feb 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Theresa-911246 said: If there's one thing I've learned from traveling, its to be open to new things.
(Quote) Theresa-911246 said:

If there's one thing I've learned from traveling, its to be open to new things. If the locals are suggesting the dish, it must be good. It must be the city slicker in me saying no,no,no. There are three words I dont say unless I'm sure, I love, I like or I will never. In this case I won't say never.

--hide--

The only local dish you need to be aware of when moving to that part of the country would be lutefisk, which should never be eaten under any circumstances...

Feb 16th 2013 new
(Quote) Kate-912649 said: Welcome. South Dakota actually has almost as many sunny days as Florida. Very nice people here. About 2 degress of ...
(Quote) Kate-912649 said: Welcome. South Dakota actually has almost as many sunny days as Florida. Very nice people here. About 2 degress of separation between you and everyone else in the state. The weather in the winter can be tough ... but a little common sense will get you through. We don't use chains unless you live in the Black Hills. Studded snow tires are allowed, but a good all-weather tire should suffice. Car starter is good or a block heater. One thing - it's either N.Dakota or S.Dakota. they split from each other in 1889. No one refers to it as "the Dakotas" except nat'l weathermen. We have real stores here and the internet. Not the end of the world. Travelusa.com has a sd page. Check road conditions and real-time hwy photos there .... before leaving. In-state the road conditions is 511 on you cell phone. Don't be shocked if you like living here. Most people do. Good air, nice people, and low taxes.
--hide--
You gave excellent advice. Though born in Mitchell sd, I lived there only first year with no memory of it. When stationed in Grand Forks ND lots of us hated it. Within a year I loved the state and people in it. So Dak is separate but very endearing to me now. Have all the oil and newcomers changed things? I hope not. The place and people were so good. I found good radial tires like Michelins gave me the traction I needed almost as good as snow tires but without the hassle. Used chains once and never did again. Two things I watch out for (1) snow over 4" and (2) ice. Have lived in ND, SD, and MN about 15 years combined. Again I thought your advice was great.
Feb 16th 2013 new
(Quote) Kate-912649 said: Welcome. South Dakota actually has almost as many sunny days as Florida. Very nice people here. About 2 degress of ...
(Quote) Kate-912649 said: Welcome. South Dakota actually has almost as many sunny days as Florida. Very nice people here. About 2 degress of separation between you and everyone else in the state. The weather in the winter can be tough ... but a little common sense will get you through. We don't use chains unless you live in the Black Hills. Studded snow tires are allowed, but a good all-weather tire should suffice. Car starter is good or a block heater. One thing - it's either N.Dakota or S.Dakota. they split from each other in 1889. No one refers to it as "the Dakotas" except nat'l weathermen. We have real stores here and the internet. Not the end of the world. Travelusa.com has a sd page. Check road conditions and real-time hwy photos there .... before leaving. In-state the road conditions is 511 on you cell phone. Don't be shocked if you like living here. Most people do. Good air, nice people, and low taxes.
--hide--
You gave excellent advice. Though born in Mitchell sd, I lived there only first year with no memory of it. When stationed in Grand Forks ND lots of us hated it. Within a year I loved the state and people in it. So Dak is separate but very endearing to me now. Have all the oil and newcomers changed things? I hope not. The place and people were so good. I found good radial tires like Michelins gave me the traction I needed almost as good as snow tires but without the hassle. Used chains once and never did again. Two things I watch out for (1) snow over 4" and (2) ice. Have lived in ND, SD, and MN about 15 years combined. Again I thought your advice was great.
Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Kate-912649 said: About 2 degrees of separation between you and everyone else in the state.
(Quote) Kate-912649 said: About 2 degrees of separation between you and everyone else in the state.
--hide--
This can get quite interesting sometimes. People may know more abt than you realize ("I saw you picking up your kids at school,"); you may know more abt them than they realize. So where I'm from, people wouldd act as if they know far less than they did.

Posts 51 - 57 of 57