Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: This is one of my favorite passages. I love it and have often reflected on it. I think ...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

This is one of my favorite passages. I love it and have often reflected on it. I think it is difficult to implement in some regards because we place so many expectations (many unconscious) on love, especially romantic love. But, if we approach it in a broader sense I think we can make some inroads into being able to practice it in our ulimate love relationships. Mother Teresa I think is an excellent example of love in action. To truly love in both heart and body I think requires an emptying of ourselves so that we can be filled with God, His spirit. . .love.

--hide--
You are so right about placing so many expectations on love. I think things are worse today than ever because we have all kinds of media telling us that we can have it all. The attractive partner, the money, the good life..... This is just a feel-good ploy to give us a false sense of empowerment (and it sells lots of commercial advertisment), but in regards to the passage it actually does the opposite - it make us selfish and feeling entitled. Love does not owe us any of this. When we empty ourselves (let go of our egos) then yes, we become receptive to being filled with real love. Well said Lauren.

Feb 17th 2013 new

Great Thread Joe!!

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: This is the same Priest who always tells us to do an Act of Kindness for someone as part of our ...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

This is the same Priest who always tells us to do an Act of Kindness for someone as part of our penance. When I first started going to reconciliation with him I always worried if I was doing enough. Now I find myself going that extra mile regularly and I find it helps keep my mind focused on prayer and being the person God has called me to be.
--hide--

Brenda, thanks for sharing!

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is...
(Quote) Joseph-750000 said:

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails....... Corinthians 13:4-8

There have been a number of topics lately about things that love is NOT. It is not about older women prowling for young men to entice and control. It is not about older men looking for younger women to increase their chances of fatherhood. These things are an abuse of the gifts of love or sexuality - these kinds of relationships are NOT God's will.

While this passage in the New Testament is beautiful to read, it is EXTREMELY difficult to implement! It is a fair bet that the majority of folks on this site (including me) have failed to understand how to make this the basis of their relationship - and so here we are! When we can finally put aside our freedom-loving egos and realize that we are really two sides of the same coin, then we will see the selfishness that destroys the love we try so desperately to have. When we live our relationships remembering Corinthians 13:13 we understand what God's will in love really is.

--hide--

I had gone on a retreat years ago and the retreat master told us that Chorinthan's 13 is meant first for ourselves and that once we can love ourselves we can love others in the same way. This at times is an extremely difficult thing to do as well. It goes back to the basics of love your enighbor as yourself. I think we need to healthy relationship with ourselves and the people around us, in order to have a healthy love relationship with another. In order to have a healthy relationship we must know ourselves and not to put our expectations on another.

Yes Corinthians is hard to implement, because it means to strugge with ourselves and choose our actions but that is what love is all about.

Feb 17th 2013 new
Corinthians 13 is framed and placed in my family room as a reminder of God's definition of love.

Authentic love is about enduring the Cross for love God and one another. A love which draws you toward, not away, from heaven. My life-long work with exceptional children as well as my roots have imprinted upon me that authentic love is equated with self-sacrifice. In Croatia when couples are wed, the priest does not say, "You may now kiss the bride". Instead, he says to the couple, "You may now kiss the Cross."
Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-25961 said: I had gone on a retreat years ago and the retreat master told us that Chorinthan's 13 i...
(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

I had gone on a retreat years ago and the retreat master told us that Chorinthan's 13 is meant first for ourselves and that once we can love ourselves we can love others in the same way. This at times is an extremely difficult thing to do as well. It goes back to the basics of love your enighbor as yourself. I think we need to healthy relationship with ourselves and the people around us, in order to have a healthy love relationship with another. In order to have a healthy relationship we must know ourselves and not to put our expectations on another.

Yes Corinthians is hard to implement, because it means to strugge with ourselves and choose our actions but that is what love is all about.

--hide--
You are so right Mary. We do have to love ourselves first and this reading tells us to reflect on what love really is (and not what we wish we could turn it into for ourselves). You most certainly "get it". Thanks.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Corinthians 13 is framed and placed in my family room as a reminder of God's definit...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Corinthians 13 is framed and placed in my family room as a reminder of God's definition of love.

Authentic love is about enduring the Cross for love God and one another. A love which draws you toward, not away, from heaven. My life-long work with exceptional children as well as my roots have imprinted upon me that authentic love is equated with self-sacrifice. In Croatia when couples are wed, the priest does not say, "You may now kiss the bride". Instead, he says to the couple, "You may now kiss the Cross."
--hide--
"A love which draws you toward, not away, from heaven". This is excellent!!

Posts 31 - 37 of 37