Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: Read your Catechism about what the Catholic Church teaches in re...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

Read your Catechism about what the Catholic Church teaches in regards to the Jews. You are misinformed.
--hide--

Now you went and did it! You've summoned a chorus of howling outrage asserting that the Catechism promulgated under JPII is badly flawed at best or anathema at worst and that there is one catechism and one only: that of the Council of Trent.

So let's all behave ourselves, stop hijacking poor Lady M's thread and return to the topic which is the resignation of our Holy Father and the election of his successor.

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Brendan-824174 said: I just heard on the news one of the names on the list as a possible Pope is Cardinal Sean O'...
(Quote) Brendan-824174 said:

I just heard on the news one of the names on the list as a possible Pope is Cardinal Sean O'Malley of Boston. That would be awsome to have an American Pope.

--hide--

there's an old saying: "whoever enters the conclave the next pope, leaves it still a cardinal."

Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Please, let's not have Dolan be selected. OTOH, I would like it if Cardinal ...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Please, let's not have Dolan be selected.

OTOH, I would like it if Cardinal Burke was selected. He's the one on the Apostolic Signatura, and at 64 is on the younger side of the College of Cardinal (and about the same age as Dolan).

Your youngest cardinals are Moran Baselios Cardinal Cleemis, who, as the head of the Syro-Malankala Catholic Church is the youngest cardinal at the age of 53. He's practically middle aged!

en.wikipedia.org

Then there is Luis Cardinal Tagle, Archbishop of Manila at age 55. One possible issue with him is the controversy over his history of the Second Vatican Council, which is seem by some as to progressive a reading of it.

en.wikipedia.org

--hide--

I think the younger the better and most probably Asian or African. They deserve a shot as they are 3/4 of the Catholic Church, but you and I dont count in this only the Holy Spirit throught the College of Cardinal.

Wikipedia articles are interesting but as there is no attribution or legitimacy of qualification you dont know who wrote them or why, and anyone can edit them. I dont trust anything on wikipedia unless attributed and peer reviewed.

Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: there's an old saying: "whoever enters the conclave the next pope, leaves i...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

there's an old saying: "whoever enters the conclave the next pope, leaves it still a cardinal."

--hide--

As I have said Dave old boy- the Pope you want is never the Pope you get. And vice versa. The Holy Spirit chooses His man for His reason and our need. The Holy Spirit chooses on our need not our wants.

We live in interesting times as the Chinese say

Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) William-675153 said: Im sorry, Imconfused, So Jews today and or for the last several centuries... dont have their si...
(Quote) William-675153 said:

Im sorry, Imconfused, So Jews today and or for the last several centuries... dont have their sins forgiven because they dont have a Temple with the Ark of the covenant in it where they could also preside as priests??

--hide--

No thats bollocks as we say. God forgives everyone who wants it, basic Catechism. The Temple of Salomon destroyed by the Romans in 72AD was not the centre of the Jewish Faith but the sign of it. The 10 Commandments are the centre of Jewish Faith along with the the laws of Deuteronomy. The Ark of the Covenant was lost in 72AD but the current belief is that it is secreted somewhere in, near, under, by Jerusalem

Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) William-675153 said: You can recognize a tree by the fruit it bears. Even if it wants to call itself something else....
(Quote) William-675153 said:

You can recognize a tree by the fruit it bears. Even if it wants to call itself something else. Are there Jewish people today who still sacrifice animals for the atonement of their sins? If not, how are they "god's people"? The law was replaced by a much better covenant between God and man. The blood of Jesus covers the sins of all who repent and believe- but he still gets rejected, by people who prefer the traditons of men. Mark ch7 v6 "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me" Jesus refering to the Pharisees.

--hide--

If Jews are not Gods People then neither are we. We obey the same laws and follow the same prophets, sing the same psalms and obey the same Commandments.

Next Jesus was a Jew so if the Jews practics a false religion then Jesus practiced a false religion. So are you saying Jesus is a false God?????? That seems to be mildly heretical?

Christ said "I have come not replace the law but fulfill it"

Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Marcy-769874 said: I'm sorry to have to correct you again Paul, and I know this is way off the thread to...
(Quote) Marcy-769874 said:

I'm sorry to have to correct you again Paul, and I know this is way off the thread topic, but: The God of the Catholics is NOT the same as the gods of the Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, or any other false religion.
You cannot pray to God the Father while rejecting God the Son or God the Holy Spirit, they are ONE!
Those who do not worship the true God worship false gods (otherwise known as Satan). This is why God gave the first commandment to Moses.

--hide--

Yes He is. All the major religions, even the polytheistic ones believe that over all is One Supreme God, and tolerance is a virtue that seldom seems practiced here. God created Man is His Own Image, no exceptions. We are all Gods Children and it is for us to bring our brothers to belief in the teaching and conclusions of Christ. But not to judge them as that is His job not ours.

Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: My understanding is he is planning to remain out of the public eye, so there should be no...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

My understanding is he is planning to remain out of the public eye, so there should be no occasion for conflict. It was reported today he said he will not be writing any more books.

--hide--

For the first month or two he is going to live in the Summer Palace near Castilliano? Lake Como, then he is going to move into a Monastery within the Vatican near to but outside the Papal Palace.

I think if he writes any more he will write under his given name of Joseph Ratzinger Bishop Emeritus of Rome, and he will never attempt to control or order the New Pope in anything. He is far too good a man for that.

Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: U...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

Urban VI

atheism.about.com

Name:
Pope Urban VI (Naples, Italy)
Born: Bartolommeo Prignani
Preceded by: Gregory XI (1370 - 1378)
Succeeded by: PBoniface IX (1389 - 1404)
Roman Catholic Pope #203
Antipope: Clement VII

Dates:
Born: c. 1318 (Langquedoc)
Died: October 15, 1389
Pope: April 8, 1379 - October 15, 1389 (11 years, 6 months)

Biography:
Urban VI was elected by French Cardinals at the behest of a Roman populace which demanded that an Italian once again sit on Peter's throne. This would not prove to be a good choice for them because Urban really wanted to reform the clergy - in particular, he wanted to limit the extravagant lifestyles which the cardinals had come to enjoy.

Unfortunately, he did not go about these reforms with much tact and his insults and abuse of the cardinals caused them to elect an antipope, Clement VII - this inaugurated the Great Schism of the West. This would last for some 60 years, with one set of popes settled in the Lateran Palace in the Vatican and a second line of popes based in Avignon.

Urban launched upon a program of violence against those he thought to have been conspiring against him, imprisoning people at will and mistreating them brutally. Later historians have considered seriously that he might have been insane.

--hide--

With all respect, and certainly this is a short compilation, but I must ask if it is really a good thing to post entries on the lives of the Popes using a website biased toward the enemies of the Church, namely atheism.about.com?

Here is a somewhat longer entry, but more balanced, from the online Cathoilc Encyclopedia. One of his long lasting policies was to ease the scism between the Eastern and Western Churches. He also instituted the Feast of Corpus Christi.

www.newadvent.org

Feb 20th 2013 new

I'm deeply saddened by Pope Benedict's resignation. To me, he was a wonderful shepard for the Church. My only hope is that he will continue his theological work.

This topic has been automatically locked due to size. Any further discussion can be continued in a new topic.
Posts 191 - 200 of 200