Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 19th 2013 new
Hi All, I'm new to CM. Nice to meet you. Here's a story: When I was in St. Ignatius here Long Beach, NY, 5th grade to be exact, Sister Maryella, who was all of 4 feet had us watching one of those religious movies. Usually, I would just love it when sister would turn off the lights and the whole class had the opportunity to relax; but this day for me, turned out to be one of my most humiliating days that staued with me forever. You see, I already saw this movie several times and I was very bored and had trouble staying seated in my chair. We weren't allowed to interrupt sister or talk during the movie, therefore, I couldn't even ask to be excused to escape to the girls room. So, I did what any good attention deficit 5th grader would do: I proceeded to take out my ruler and some loose leaf (I'm laughing now, but it wasn't funny then) and started ripping the paper into one inch strips. Sister was looking around to see where all the commotion was coming from but since it was dark I didn't think she could see me. I thought I was slick and kept on ripping the paper with my ruler. All if a sudden, out of nowhere she appeared at my desk. I probably had my head down because I was so busy lol. The next thing I knew (and the whole class as well) was Sister Maryella, all 4ft of her, removed my ruler from my hands and repeatedly cracked me on my knuckles really hard, so hard you could actually hear the pain. I think I got a good smack too. Well needless to say, I was shocked, totally embarrassed and very angry. I arose from my chair and was going to smack her back but something/body stopped me, (probably my guardian angel.) In a split second, I realized two wrongs don't make a right, the principal would probably kill me and besides I may kill sister because I was already a foot taller than she. I just had to resign to the fact that I was wrong, the kids would forget what happened that day- but boy did those knuckles hurt. I never told my Mom. Hey, this is just one of my many stories. Hope you got a laugh! God Bless, Mary
Feb 20th 2013 new

I was in Form 3 or 8th grade in covent school. The nuns had a rule that you could not pick the fruit off of the fruit trees on the convent grounds. However, they never seemed to pick them themselves so their trees were always laden which was a great temptation for all. One day after leaving girl guides ( scouts) no one seemed to be around so my girl friend and I decided to pick some and figured that the nuns would never notice. Being the pluckiest of the two of us I proceeded to strip down to my vest and undershorts that the nuns made us wear under our uniforms. ( not very decent I know but it was an all girls school). Keep in mind that this was a tangerine tree and they are covered in prickles so I proceeded to get scratched to death. However being the brave soul that I am and not one to give up, I persevered until I got to the top part where the fruit was easy to reach. My friend then handed me first her bag which I filled and then my bag which I again filled. I was just about to get down when I heard a familiar voice; Sister Claire. She called out " What a lovely surprise!!! You girls decided to surprise us in the convent by picking fruit for us. What thoughtful girls you are." She then told me to stop being silly and get down here so she could give me a hug for my kindness. I was mortified. While I dressed she asked us if we wanted to come down to the convent for the nuns to thank us personally. She then even offered to send notes home to our parents to tell them how thoughtful we were. Of course Sister Claire knew that we were stealing tangerines but she also knew that we would not deny picking them for the nuns. So I went home covered in scratches with not even one tangerine to show for it. I even had the added pleasure of explaining to my mum why there were so many rips in my gym vest. AHHHHH!!!! Convent school. laughing laughing laughing

Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Michelle-930023 said: I only spent one year in a Catholic school but I got my share of detentions for the silliest t...
(Quote) Michelle-930023 said:

I only spent one year in a Catholic school but I got my share of detentions for the silliest things.

To mention a couple. Once for singing in the hall. What can I say. The old building had great acoustics!

And another for telling someone I was gonna beat her up. Mind you I am 5 foot, she, 6 foot, a close friend, and laughing in my face at the time. Is it possible I could of been joking and also very very likely that she didn't feel threatened? Well the house mother didn't seem to think so. Oh well, what can ya do?!

--hide--
Catholics schools today still have strict policies about such things... I suppose it has to be that way to prevent serious problems and to ensure the safety of all children. I can appreciate it especially with the horrible things going on in public schools today. I'm not defending all their actions -- some were too extreme. theheart

Feb 20th 2013 new
Hi Shara, that's my kind of story, I can see you now. Thanks for sharing. I'll send another soon. Have a great day, Mary
Feb 22nd 2013 new

Well, we had a nun in the 1st grade who on the first day would give all her rules of "do's and don'ts" and what was expected.

One of the weirdest things she did was tell us: "If you have to EXCUSE yourself....hold up one finger if you have to go number 1, and hold up 2 fingers if you have to go number 2"! (course it was about the third grade before I figured out...it was about HOW LONG one would be gone!) One kid did not know exactly what she meant though. He stood up very antsy and was flashing all 10 fingers like a "flashing yellow light"! "You are excused" the bewildered Sister M.A. said! laughing

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-937842 said: Hi All, I'm new to CM. Nice to meet you. Here's a story: When I was in St. Ignatius here Long Beach, NY, ...
(Quote) Mary-937842 said: Hi All, I'm new to CM. Nice to meet you. Here's a story: When I was in St. Ignatius here Long Beach, NY, 5th grade to be exact, Sister Maryella, who was all of 4 feet had us watching one of those religious movies. Usually, I would just love it when sister would turn off the lights and the whole class had the opportunity to relax; but this day for me, turned out to be one of my most humiliating days that staued with me forever. You see, I already saw this movie several times and I was very bored and had trouble staying seated in my chair. We weren't allowed to interrupt sister or talk during the movie, therefore, I couldn't even ask to be excused to escape to the girls room. So, I did what any good attention deficit 5th grader would do: I proceeded to take out my ruler and some loose leaf (I'm laughing now, but it wasn't funny then) and started ripping the paper into one inch strips. Sister was looking around to see where all the commotion was coming from but since it was dark I didn't think she could see me. I thought I was slick and kept on ripping the paper with my ruler. All if a sudden, out of nowhere she appeared at my desk. I probably had my head down because I was so busy lol. The next thing I knew (and the whole class as well) was Sister Maryella, all 4ft of her, removed my ruler from my hands and repeatedly cracked me on my knuckles really hard, so hard you could actually hear the pain. I think I got a good smack too. Well needless to say, I was shocked, totally embarrassed and very angry. I arose from my chair and was going to smack her back but something/body stopped me, (probably my guardian angel.) In a split second, I realized two wrongs don't make a right, the principal would probably kill me and besides I may kill sister because I was already a foot taller than she. I just had to resign to the fact that I was wrong, the kids would forget what happened that day- but boy did those knuckles hurt. I never told my Mom. Hey, this is just one of my many stories. Hope you got a laugh! God Bless, Mary
--hide--

I know what thats like. sorry sad weeping

Feb 22nd 2013 new

1) During morning prayer a candle was lit. We just made the sign of the cross. Charlie, sixth-grader, standing next to me, said under his breath in that familiar, infamous "Beavis & Butthead" voice, "Fire. Fire. Huhhhh, Huuhhhhh." I had to leave the classroom to hide my laughter. I was the teacher.

2) The building's telephone was at the end of the hall. We (kids) would pray for it to ring because Sister M_P_, in full wool habit, would dash down the hallway in a sprint. She could run. Her enormous rosary would clatter at her side, chiming lovely as she ran. It was a dazzling sight. To this very day, I like to sit by the door; intertainment appears in the hall.

3) Science Quiz: Question asked, "What are the five kindoms?" Student corrected me by saying there are six: Animal, Plant, Fungi, Protista, Monera (bacteria), and God's. :) She received an extra credit point.

Feb 22nd 2013 new
Hi. I just thought of another horror story. Do any of you guys remember when the nuns changed their names from a mans name to a female name? Well, we had this really tough looking 7th grade nun that was built like a Mack truck. You wouldn't want to meet up with her in a dark alley. Her name suited her, John Brendan, aka Barbara Anne. God forgive me, we called her Sister Pic-a-nose, later changed to Sister Pic-a-pimple. No one actually looked at her because whatever she was picking went into her mouth, every time, it was so disgusting! Around this time, I was experimenting with eye shadow, a big no-no! (I really thought the shadow and mascara made my eyes look beautiful and it did.) Well, Sr. PAP didn't think so. She took one look at me and said, this way Mary. The whole class turned quiet, I was terrified!! I could feel my heart beat and that of my classmates too. Before long, the whole school knew about Sr & Mary. She brought me into the "off limits" stock room, down the hall, locked us in and gave me a can of Ajax to get that garbage off my eyes. OMG, major law suit today. How did they get away with such atrocities? It was so long ago, these things do leave an impression. Next?
Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-252799 said: (Quote) Mary-937842 said: Hi All, I'm new to CM. Nice to meet you. Here's a stor...
(Quote) Brian-252799 said:

[quote]Mary-937842 said: Hi All, I'm new to CM. Nice to meet you. Here's a story: When I was in St. Ignatius here Long Beach, NY, 5th grade to be exact, Sister Maryella, who was all of 4 feet had us watching one of those religious movies. Usually, I would just love it when sister would turn off the lights and the whole class had the opportunity to relax; but this day for me, turned out to be one of my most humiliating days that staued with me forever. You see, I already saw this movie several times and I was very bored and had trouble staying seated in my chair. We weren't allowed to interrupt sister or talk during the movie, therefore, I couldn't even ask to be excused to escape to the girls room. So, I did what any good attention deficit 5th grader would do: I proceeded to take out my ruler and some loose leaf (I'm laughing now, but it wasn't funny then) and started ripping the paper into one inch strips. Sister was looking around to see where all the commotion was coming from but since it was dark I didn't think she could see me. I thought I was slick and kept on ripping the paper with my ruler. All if a sudden, out of nowhere she appeared at my desk. I probably had my head down because I was so busy lol. The next thing I knew (and the whole class as well) was Sister Maryella, all 4ft of her, removed my ruler from my hands and repeatedly cracked me on my knuckles really hard, so hard you could actually hear the pain. I think I got a good smack too. Well needless to say, I was shocked, totally embarrassed and very angry. I arose from my chair and was going to smack her back but something/body stopped me, (probably my guardian angel.) In a split second, I realized two wrongs don't make a right, the principal would probably kill me and besides I may kill sister because I was already a foot taller than she. I just had to resign to the fact that I was wrong, the kids would forget what happened that day- but boy did those knuckles hurt. I never told my Mom. Hey, this is just one of my many stories. Hope you got a laugh! God Bless, Mary

--hide--

I know what thats like.

Feb 22nd 2013 new

It was senior retreat weekend and there was a handheld bell that the priest would ring for EVERY event; prayer time, breakfast, lunch, dinner, lights out for bedtime, etc. Sometime during the night, someone from our class was able to locate the bell and remove the "clapper" from the bell. The next use of the bell was for the 6:00AM wake up call. I think you can see where this true story is going so I'll let your imagination finish it. Needless to say, the priest was not very happy with our class.

Posts 11 - 20 of 62