Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

02/20/2013 new

(Quote) Edward-4511 said: Well, my parents stayed together till death did them part. Married in July 1968, dad died of lung cancer ...
(Quote) Edward-4511 said: Well, my parents stayed together till death did them part. Married in July 1968, dad died of lung cancer in June 2001. Almost 33 years.
--hide--
So sorry Edward. Mine both had cancer when they died but ended up being married 62 years. The video was from their 50th "surprise" anniversary party. (they were 71 and 70)

02/20/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: Awwwww, there is something so heartwarming about seeing an older married couple dance wel...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

Awwwww, there is something so heartwarming about seeing an older married couple dance well together. It's just beautiful.

I'm curious, how old were they, and how long had your parents been together when this was filmed? They are so completely in sync - I'd guess it would take years of practice to look that good together.

You're lucky to have this visual memory, Jerry. Treasure it, it's priceless!

--hide--
Thank you Mary. I think I answered it in my post to Zoom. Looked pretty youthful at 71 and 70....huh? You are right dear....they practiced years...but Mom was the better dancer of the two. She just didn't care for the jitterbug as well as he. (Pop was showing off!lol!) Oddly the first dance they ever had together when they met at 21 and 20 was indeed the "jitterbug"

02/20/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: Awwwww, there is something so heartwarming about seeing an older married couple dance wel...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

Awwwww, there is something so heartwarming about seeing an older married couple dance well together. It's just beautiful.

I'm curious, how old were they, and how long had your parents been together when this was filmed? They are so completely in sync - I'd guess it would take years of practice to look that good together.

You're lucky to have this visual memory, Jerry. Treasure it, it's priceless!

--hide--
And yes Mary it is indeed PRICELESS! This portion is only part of the original which contains the Mass when they re-newed their vows.
I would say: Next to my Mom's rosary and the first class relics she left to me; and Dad's FLAG and wedding band....this is the most valuable rememberance/thing I possess because it shows them when they were healthy...

02/20/2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Did I say they loved to dance? youtu.be (a little grainy but was a long...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Did I say they loved to dance? youtu.be

(a little grainy but was a long time ago) In the background it's a little dark but you might see someone you recognize

--hide--

What a cute couple they were....
02/20/2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: What a cute couple they were....
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

What a cute couple they were....
--hide--
Thank you Brenda! I've talked about them sooooo much since being a member a year and one-half...I thought it might be time for all to meet them!

02/20/2013 new

Okay....back on task. Since it is the Lenten season I will bring up a story I have told before which was/is humorous. Every year my parents (particularly my Mom) would bring up "giving things up for Lent" This one particular Lent I was perhaps 12 or 13. My Mom came to me and said "Jer, this year let's do it a little different. How about I think of something for YOU to give up....and YOU think of something I should give up.
Now...it can be something which we give up....or it can be something which HUMBLES us." Knowing how much I liked "LIFE" cereal (still do...matter of fact!) she said, "Why don't you give up this...and this and this and......LIFE cereal. Give it to your brothers and sisters and you eat say....CORN FLAKES or oatmeal or something" I thought "Wow Mom that is a lot!" She in turn said, "Now you tell me what I should do for Lent and it can be more than one task....as I have given you. So tell me" I thought long and hard....and came up with only ONE thing. Albeit, a BIG thing! I said "Mom I only have one act of humility for you to do....every Sunday in Lent except Easter" She said, "You sure? Only one?" With a (I'm sure) sly smile I said...."Well you know how you like to dress up for Mass?" She said, "Yes" I then said, well.....you can still wear your dresses and of course wear makeup....but instead of wearing your high-heels why don't you wear Dad's hunting boots!" LOL! She looked down....and paused and said, "That WOULD be an act of humility! Tell you what Jer, you give up what you want to....same as always...and I'll do my own. And it WON"T be wearing boots to Mass!" Course I knew this would be the case.....and knew the answer beforehand. But we both still made a great Lent that year......and I still had "LIFE" for breakfast!! LOL! We laughed over that one for years!

02/20/2013 new

My parents weren't afraid to be affectionate in front of us. It was clear that they were very much in love, even after 40+ years.

02/20/2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Okay....back on task. Since it is the Lenten season I will bring up a story I have told before which was/is hum...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Okay....back on task. Since it is the Lenten season I will bring up a story I have told before which was/is humorous. Every year my parents (particularly my Mom) would bring up "giving things up for Lent" This one particular Lent I was perhaps 12 or 13. My Mom came to me and said "Jer, this year let's do it a little different. How about I think of something for YOU to give up....and YOU think of something I should give up.
Now...it can be something which we give up....or it can be something which HUMBLES us." Knowing how much I liked "LIFE" cereal (still do...matter of fact!) she said, "Why don't you give up this...and this and this and......LIFE cereal. Give it to your brothers and sisters and you eat say....CORN FLAKES or oatmeal or something" I thought "Wow Mom that is a lot!" She in turn said, "Now you tell me what I should do for Lent and it can be more than one task....as I have given you. So tell me" I thought long and hard....and came up with only ONE thing. Albeit, a BIG thing! I said "Mom I only have one act of humility for you to do....every Sunday in Lent except Easter" She said, "You sure? Only one?" With a (I'm sure) sly smile I said...."Well you know how you like to dress up for Mass?" She said, "Yes" I then said, well.....you can still wear your dresses and of course wear makeup....but instead of wearing your high-heels why don't you wear Dad's hunting boots!" LOL! She looked down....and paused and said, "That WOULD be an act of humility! Tell you what Jer, you give up what you want to....same as always...and I'll do my own. And it WON"T be wearing boots to Mass!" Course I knew this would be the case.....and knew the answer beforehand. But we both still made a great Lent that year......and I still had "LIFE" for breakfast!! LOL! We laughed over that one for years!

--hide--
That was hilarious Jerry! You must have been one conniving little boy. My boys were never that cruel but your Mom was graceful, I will give her that. We would go to mass every Sunday at the Polish Church, Our Lady of the Rosary. Back then, girls had to wear hats or veils and men would also wear hats and there were clips on the pew seat so men could put them there. Polish was like Latin to us and my Mom but we would recite a few lines of prayer that always made us laugh. I would repeat them but I am sure there are some Polish people reading this and I might be a little embarassed with our interpretation. My father wanted us to stop talking during mass for lent. My mother was the worst and he knew it. She was a little devilish! Well those clips would hold our little purses and our gloves, , books and Joey's toys. Dad was the strict one and undoubtedly one of us would get the evil eye during mass. Thanks for bringing up old memories. Love this thread!
02/20/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: My parents weren't afraid to be affectionate in front of us. It was clear that they were very...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

My parents weren't afraid to be affectionate in front of us. It was clear that they were very much in love, even after 40+ years.

--hide--
Mine too Marge. When I was taking care of them both...they would sit in chairs side-by-side and watch TV and hold hands. (So touching)
My Dad sometimes....even through suffering would say...."Love, can I get you anything?" I would chime in...and say...."Nope, both of you just relax....that's what number one (son) is HERE for." It is for the reasons of watching them become shadows of their former selves I would REALLY get upset. And that is also the reason I've seen that video many times. (no matter how sick they got though....they never lost their dignity)

02/20/2013 new
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: My parents were from Lithuania, and spoke in their native language at home. I remember being around 5 years old...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

My parents were from Lithuania, and spoke in their native language at home. I remember being around 5 years old and noticing that, whenever my dad entered the room and wanted to talk with my mother, he said the Lithuanian word for "Listen"--he never called her by name. One day I said to my mother, "I don't think Dad knows your name because he keeps calling you 'Listen'."

--hide--

laughing laughing laughing Thats cuuuuute.
Posts 11 - 20 of 75