Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

02/01/2013 new

(Quote) Stephane-919789 said: Im fairly new to this site and for that matter returned to being a fully practicing Catholic a...
(Quote) Stephane-919789 said:

Im fairly new to this site and for that matter returned to being a fully practicing Catholic about 3 months ago. Even though I attended parochial schools for most of my primary and secondary schooling, I got away from the Church for a long time. Now I attend Mass weekly and read scripture daily and have made Jesus Christ my guiding light. Im still confused on the subject of recieving sacrements. I am divorced, and have been for a long time, raising my children as a single dad, but I did not get married in the Catholic Church. I have been in relationships since then. In Church I really feel left out when I cannot recieve the Body and Blood of Christ, somehow this just doesn't seem fair.

--hide--

Stephane:

Thank you for your post and welcome to CatholicMatch. I want you to know that you are EXACTLY the reason that CatholicMatch allows divorced Catholics without and annullment to join and be a part of our community. While it is against out terms of use for divorced Catholics (no free to marry) to use our service for romantic purposes we do feel that CatholicMatch is one of the few places folks like you have to turn. I can tell you that we very much value divorced Catholics like yourself who are struggling in their faith and yet trying to get on the right path. We provide this forum, plus our divorced hope & healing area specifically to help people like yourself.

I hope you enjoy your time here and they this community and our resources can play a part in your healing process and faith growth.

02/04/2013 new

Stephane,

I've been traveling down the same road. I was a cradle Catholic, left the church, married outside the church, divorced, and came back home. When I made an appointment with a parish priest, he was very welcoming and accomodating. The advice from the previous post's are right on the mark. You will be welcomed home with open arms and yes, you can receive the sacraments.

I can also tell you from my experience, that an annulment should be easy to obtain. Since you were married outside of the Catholic church, it's called a "lack of form" annulment. Mine took all of five days to get a response once I turned in the paperwork. Of course, it took me a couple years to get to the point where I could submit the paperwork. And I'm still not sure I'm ready to move forward, but everyone's situation is different. My advice would be to take time to heal and don't rush into anything. Let your conscience be your guide. Better yet, as you say, Jesus is your guiding light. Keep Him front and center in everything you do.

May God bless you,
Gary

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Brian-278516 said: Stephane: Thank you for your post and welcome to CatholicMatch. I want you to kno...
(Quote) Brian-278516 said:

Stephane:

Thank you for your post and welcome to CatholicMatch. I want you to know that you are EXACTLY the reason that CatholicMatch allows divorced Catholics without and annullment to join and be a part of our community. While it is against out terms of use for divorced Catholics (no free to marry) to use our service for romantic purposes we do feel that CatholicMatch is one of the few places folks like you have to turn. I can tell you that we very much value divorced Catholics like yourself who are struggling in their faith and yet trying to get on the right path. We provide this forum, plus our divorced hope & healing area specifically to help people like yourself.

I hope you enjoy your time here and they this community and our resources can play a part in your healing process and faith growth.

--hide--

Being a part of this community has brought me so much closer to the faith. I've made great friends here. It's been a great blessing.

02/05/2013 new
Same thing with me. You should get a certificate of nullification now that you are divorced. You need to speak with a good and holy priest. He will have you go to confession and you will need to confess that you cohabitated with a women who was not you wife. You also need to confess that you received the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin as well as making your normal Confession. Then you will be in communion with Holy Mother Church and able to receive Her Sacraments. Sorry to lay this in you're lap. Any priest who says otherwise is wrong so I cannot stress enough that yo.u find a good and holy priest. Good luck. You are in my prayers
02/05/2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: It breaks my heart to hear you say this. There is no reason a divorced person cannot receive Comm...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

It breaks my heart to hear you say this. There is no reason a divorced person cannot receive Communion. The sin is NOT being divorced - it's being remarried after a divorce.

As long as you're not re-married w/o an annulment, you can receive Communion - provided you meet the usual requirements which apply to all Catholics.

Please meet with your priest. Discuss it with him. Go to confession. Go to Communion. God wants you back fully. Divorce is no impediment to that.

--hide--

David-

You simply have no clue what you are saying and your presence here would be better for all if you didn't guess on what was right.

Where are you getting your information, if I may ask?

A baptized Catholic is obligated to marry in the Church and if the "marriage" is only a civil ceremony it is not recognized by the Church in any capacity. Thus, the resulting union is nothing more than cohabitating.

Mike

02/21/2013 new
(Quote) Stephane-919789 said: Im fairly new to this site and for that matter returned to being a fully practicing Catholic about 3 months ...
(Quote) Stephane-919789 said:

Im fairly new to this site and for that matter returned to being a fully practicing Catholic about 3 months ago. Even though I attended parochial schools for most of my primary and secondary schooling, I got away from the Church for a long time. Now I attend Mass weekly and read scripture daily and have made Jesus Christ my guiding light. Im still confused on the subject of recieving sacrements. I am divorced, and have been for a long time, raising my children as a single dad, but I did not get married in the Catholic Church. I have been in relationships since then. In Church I really feel left out when I cannot recieve the Body and Blood of Christ, somehow this just doesn't seem fair.

--hide--
Stephane, God bless you! You have received some great advice here! Reconciliation, communion, all of it will be wonderful for you to have and it will give you many graces. Go GETT'EM!
02/21/2013 new
(Quote) Michael-937052 said: (Quote) David-364112 said: It breaks my heart to hear you say this. There is no reason...
(Quote) Michael-937052 said:

Quote:
David-364112 said:

It breaks my heart to hear you say this. There is no reason a divorced person cannot receive Communion. The sin is NOT being divorced - it's being remarried after a divorce.

As long as you're not re-married w/o an annulment, you can receive Communion - provided you meet the usual requirements which apply to all Catholics.

Please meet with your priest. Discuss it with him. Go to confession. Go to Communion. God wants you back fully. Divorce is no impediment to that.

David-

You simply have no clue what you are saying and your presence here would be better for all if you didn't guess on what was right.

Where are you getting your information, if I may ask?

A baptized Catholic is obligated to marry in the Church and if the "marriage" is only a civil ceremony it is not recognized by the Church in any capacity. Thus, the resulting union is nothing more than cohabitating.

Mike

--hide--
If he goes to confession, then he can receive communion. Where did David go wrong in his advice?
02/21/2013 new
(Quote) Michael-937052 said: Same thing with me. You should get a certificate of nullification now that you are divorced. You need to speak w...
(Quote) Michael-937052 said: Same thing with me. You should get a certificate of nullification now that you are divorced. You need to speak with a good and holy priest. He will have you go to confession and you will need to confess that you cohabitated with a women who was not you wife. You also need to confess that you received the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin as well as making your normal Confession. Then you will be in communion with Holy Mother Church and able to receive Her Sacraments. Sorry to lay this in you're lap. Any priest who says otherwise is wrong so I cannot stress enough that yo.u find a good and holy priest. Good luck. You are in my prayers
--hide--
You are right... more solid advise. God bless you as you walk through your process
Posts 11 - 18 of 18