Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: They might have gone to bed mad it the situation happened late at night but I dont think it lasted mor...
(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: They might have gone to bed mad it the situation happened late at night but I dont think it lasted more than 24 hours.. They believed in resolution not letting things linger on and on
--hide--
Yeah....they never let anything last long. They had the ability to talk things out;always. (Don't know that either one of them left the house for overnight. They always came back)

As far as talents: My Mom could paint (did some 37 paintings) was a beautician in her 60's, could dance, sang in the choir, wrote 3 songs she had the copyrights to, wrote poetry and jingles. And she READ....and READ and READ many books. She also could get her shoes to match her outfits...as you may have witnessed in the video. (I guess that used to be fashionable) She could sew and hem.....and most of all...for number one (me) she made the best "minced meat" pie I've ever had!

Feb 21st 2013 new

My Dad used to love ice cream....especially butter pecan. So when I would take him for his radiation treatments....he many times would want me to take him to his favorite parlor and order a "double scoop" in a cone. One time I took him to the Radiation Oncology center where he was being treated and he sat down on a couch in the waiting room. I should note here he suffered from "Macular Degeneration" ....a progressive eye disease which causes blindness. So he sat down...and looked up and said..."We need to go get our SWEET fix after this" I said, "Pop....we don't have to GO anywhere"....(a competitor ice cream company was having a patient appreciation day and were serving it up and GIVING it to the patients.) He looked up and said "What do you mean?" I said, "The Marble Slab Ice Cream company is here and are serving FREE ice cream right here in the waiting room." (I had noticed the men in their white suits and stainless steel cannisters and fancy serving utensils) I had never seen him move so fast! He jumped up (all 85 years) and said loudly, "WHERE?" I said, "Right over there...and they have butter pecan!" He said, "Holy Cow" and ordered a "triple decker"! Usually his wait time was at least 30 minutes so he was on maybe his third "lick" and they called his name! OOPS! He then said, "Knew that would happen" (while handing it to me) He then said, "Don't be eating on that thing" I said "Pop....it would be melted anyway...we'll just get you another FREE one!" He then said something I say sometimes: "Oh....like I said....I'll order another one!" lol!
Those ice cream folks and some of his patient friends were dying laughing at him....but he DID indeed get his second helping of "Butter Pecan"~

Feb 21st 2013 new

Thanks Lina, that made my day!

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: My parents were from Lithuania, and spoke in their native language at home. I remember being aroun...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

My parents were from Lithuania, and spoke in their native language at home. I remember being around 5 years old and noticing that, whenever my dad entered the room and wanted to talk with my mother, he said the Lithuanian word for "Listen"--he never called her by name. One day I said to my mother, "I don't think Dad knows your name because he keeps calling you 'Listen'."

--hide--

Feb 21st 2013 new

I never heard my parents say a cross word to each other, much less have an argument in front of the kids. My dad trusted my mom completely. Once, when I was about twelve, my mom decided she wanted to redecorate the living room. Without talking to my dad about it she placed an ad in the newspaper to sell the old furniture. On the day of the ad, after my father had left for work, my mom received a call from an interested buyer. They came to the house with a pick-up, paid cash, and loaded up all the living room furniture including lamps, drapes, etc. My mom was thrilled to be able to go out the following weekend and purchase new furniture. My mom left for work. Remember, this was before cell phones instant communication. Guess my mom thought it would be OK to tell my dad when he got home. Dad came home early from work to find the living room completely cleaned out and he had no idea what had happened to it. He couldn't imagine a burglar would only take the living room furniture!! My mom came home from work to find him sitting on a folding chair where his lounge chair had been, reading the newspaper, with a cup of coffee on a TV tray. He said to my mom in the calmest of voices "any idea what happened to the furniture?". My mom laughingly told him the story and that she didn't think to get in touch with my dad to tell him. My dad just laughed about it and helped her the following weekend buy the new furniture. God Bless you Mom and Dad.

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Edward-4511 said: Well, my parents stayed together till death did them part. Married in July 1968, dad died of lung cancer ...
(Quote) Edward-4511 said: Well, my parents stayed together till death did them part. Married in July 1968, dad died of lung cancer in June 2001. Almost 33 years.
--hide--

I can identify with your post; my dad and mom were part of the greatest generation where marriage truly meant “till death do us part”. My parents were only married 23 years before my dad died of lung cancer from being a chain smoker…I admire my mother for not remarrying. There marriage was short but productive…6 children and family times none of us will ever forget.

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Yeah....they never let anything last long. They had the ability to talk things out;always. (Don&#...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Yeah....they never let anything last long. They had the ability to talk things out;always. (Don't know that either one of them left the house for overnight. They always came back)

As far as talents: My Mom could paint (did some 37 paintings) was a beautician in her 60's, could dance, sang in the choir, wrote 3 songs she had the copyrights to, wrote poetry and jingles. And she READ....and READ and READ many books. She also could get her shoes to match her outfits..as you may have witnessed in the video. (I guess that used to be fashionable) She could sew and hem.....and most of all...for number one (me) she made the best "minced meat" pie I've ever had!

--hide--

Mince Meat Pie! My Dad's mother was known for her mince meat pies - Dad and his 3 brothers loved them. They were special treats when Nana came to visit us. And of course, mom continued to make them as a treat for Dad once Nana passed on. I haven't thought of those pies, or my Nana, in quite a while, thanks for bringing back that memory, Jerry. hug
(Have to admit, they were not my favorite thing to eat, but I always appreciated the love behind her making them for us.)

I remember Dad teasing Mom at the dinner table. He was so good at saying something just to get her goat, then looking so innocent when she'd say "FRANK!" - then behind her back he'd grin at us kids. wink

Fun thread, Jerry, thanks! hug

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-805954 said: I never heard my parents say a cross word to each other, much less have an argument in front of the...
(Quote) Jan-805954 said:

I never heard my parents say a cross word to each other, much less have an argument in front of the kids. My dad trusted my mom completely. Once, when I was about twelve, my mom decided she wanted to redecorate the living room. Without talking to my dad about it she placed an ad in the newspaper to sell the old furniture. On the day of the ad, after my father had left for work, my mom received a call from an interested buyer. They came to the house with a pick-up, paid cash, and loaded up all the living room furniture including lamps, drapes, etc. My mom was thrilled to be able to go out the following weekend and purchase new furniture. My mom left for work. Remember, this was before cell phones instant communication. Guess my mom thought it would be OK to tell my dad when he got home. Dad came home early from work to find the living room completely cleaned out and he had no idea what had happened to it. He couldn't imagine a burglar would only take the living room furniture!! My mom came home from work to find him sitting on a folding chair where his lounge chair had been, reading the newspaper, with a cup of coffee on a TV tray. He said to my mom in the calmest of voices "any idea what happened to the furniture?". My mom laughingly told him the story and that she didn't think to get in touch with my dad to tell him. My dad just laughed about it and helped her the following weekend buy the new furniture. God Bless you Mom and Dad.

--hide--
OMG! That IS hysterical! laughing laughing Thank you for sharing Jan!

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Ronald-937125 said: I can identify with your post; my dad and mom were part of the greatest generati...
(Quote) Ronald-937125 said:

I can identify with your post; my dad and mom were part of the greatest generation where marriage truly meant “till death do us part”. My parents were only married 23 years before my dad died of lung cancer from being a chain smoker…I admire my mother for not remarrying. There marriage was short but productive…6 children and family times none of us will ever forget.

--hide--
Ronald...so true. My Mom and Dad were part of that generation. They were two kids in love and nearly oblivious to Great Britain getting hit by Hitler's V-1s and V-2s. When my Father was about to ask for her hand he had to go to his commanding officer as well as my Grandfather.

He was very nervous...and his C.O. was looking at papers when he motioned my Father to come in. He did not look up...until my Dad said, "Sir I spoke to God this morning....now can I talk to you?" His officer immediately smiled and looked up into the eyes of the young Private. My Father told him about meeting the beautiful blonde British lass he was madly in love with. (during war-time many American soldiers would only see a Brit for awhile....and then bail when they were shipped back to the states...bad deal because some were left with children to take care of) So his question to Dad was: "How do I know you are not just marrying for the duration?" (of the war) My Father spoke up: "Because we are Catholic" (Back then NO ONE divorced as a Catholic) He then said, "So granted"

Feb 22nd 2013 new

When we were young we were always told to EAT EVERYTHING on our plates. And at the dinner table...we were not to speak unless spoken to.

So....Mom and Dad got ask ALL the questions. From as far back as I can remember I have loathed green peas...except now I can eat the small English peas.

With 7 mouths to feed I can understand why my parents would make us eat everything. But we had to sit there and eat until our plates were clean. Several times i had to "gag" those darned peas down! laughing Fast forward to my 50's when I was over at their home taking care of them while they were ill. (though Mom was still cooking at the time) I sat down to eat....and wasn't very hungry because I had eaten a late lunch. Well,...there were those green peas again too! OOPS! So I wasn't eating very much of anything and looked up and both were staring at me. I said, "What's up?" My Mom said, "Just leave whatever you don't want to eat love...if you're not hungry" I looked at my Dad...and he was saying, "Yeah Jer...just leave it" I said, " What in the world? Where were yall then when I had to eat EVERYTHING?" My Dad said...."Well it's a lot different now....back then...it was the feeding of the 5000!" lol! We all three laughed. In a celebratory move I scraped those peas down the garbage disposal! laughing

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: Mince Meat Pie! My Dad's mother was known for her mince meat pies - Dad and ...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

Mince Meat Pie! My Dad's mother was known for her mince meat pies - Dad and his 3 brothers loved them. They were special treats when Nana came to visit us. And of course, mom continued to make them as a treat for Dad once Nana passed on. I haven't thought of those pies, or my Nana, in quite a while, thanks for bringing back that memory, Jerry.
(Have to admit, they were not my favorite thing to eat, but I always appreciated the love behind her making them for us.)

I remember Dad teasing Mom at the dinner table. He was so good at saying something just to get her goat, then looking so innocent when she'd say "FRANK!" - then behind her back he'd grin at us kids.

Fun thread, Jerry, thanks!

--hide--
Thank you Mary. I don't know many who like "mince meat" pie.....but those that do....LOVE it like me! And my Mom's crust was near perfect! My Dad used to also tease my Mom like that and wink at us. Glad you are enjoying.... wink

Posts 41 - 50 of 75