Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

The Archdiocese of Phila is closing my beautiful church, St. Donato's .. It is 103 years old, a classic Italian throwback ... A magnificent 60 foot high Crucifixion scene behind the altar ... stained-glass windows with mosaics of the Good Shepherd, St.Michael the Archangel, the Nativity scene and so on ... We have a devoted congregation, with many of the older folks having known only this church ... St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, the first US citizen to be canonized, worshiped in our chapel ... We have appealed to the Archdiocese, but have been turned away and, honestly, at times have been treated rather rudely ... I must say that as sad as our closing makes me feel, I must admit to being even more hurt at the response (or lack of it) by the local Catholic hierarchy ... Yes,our numbers are down, but give us a year or so to try and boost attendance... We think we can do it, but they have to give us the chance ... All this has made me question whether I will continue to attend Mass if they close us .. Never thought I would ever say or do that, but this is very disheartening ... It seems like the way Jesus laid down, respect for all people, is not being adhered to ... If anyone else has experienced this, with their church closing, I'd love to hear your reaction ... I feel lost and my spirit is broken by it all ... I am trying to keep separate the wonderful teachings of our religion from the decisions made by men, but it is hard to keep focused in the light of this emotional pain ... Why can't they respect our legacy and give us a chance????

Feb 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Richard-15378 said: The Archdiocese of Phila is closing my beautiful church, St. Donato's .. It is 103 years old, a classic It...
(Quote) Richard-15378 said:

The Archdiocese of Phila is closing my beautiful church, St. Donato's .. It is 103 years old, a classic Italian throwback ... A magnificent 60 foot high Crucifixion scene behind the altar ... stained-glass windows with mosaics of the Good Shepherd, St.Michael the Archangel, the Nativity scene and so on ... We have a devoted congregation, with many of the older folks having known only this church ... St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, the first US citizen to be canonized, worshiped in our chapel ... We have appealed to the Archdiocese, but have been turned away and, honestly, at times have been treated rather rudely ... I must say that as sad as our closing makes me feel, I must admit to being even more hurt at the response (or lack of it) by the local Catholic hierarchy ... Yes,our numbers are down, but give us a year or so to try and boost attendance... We think we can do it, but they have to give us the chance ... All this has made me question whether I will continue to attend Mass if they close us .. Never thought I would ever say or do that, but this is very disheartening ... It seems like the way Jesus laid down, respect for all people, is not being adhered to ... If anyone else has experienced this, with their church closing, I'd love to hear your reaction ... I feel lost and my spirit is broken by it all ... I am trying to keep separate the wonderful teachings of our religion from the decisions made by men, but it is hard to keep focused in the light of this emotional pain ... Why can't they respect our legacy and give us a chance????

--hide--

Richard, this is soooo sad to read. I pray that some wealthy benefactor steps up and donates what is needed.
Feb 22nd 2013 new

It seems they close all of the Traditional looking Churchs.Never the new ugly ones! crazy

Feb 22nd 2013 new

Praying Praying Praying It is sad, In the UK quite a few churches were turned into bars/ Clubs. I happened to go once to one for a drink with some friends and kind of made me sad, I hope while being there some people looked at the Cealing and beautiful building and think of God, wanting to look at the positive!!

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Richard, this is soooo sad to read. I pray that some wealthy benefactor steps up and donates wha...
(Quote) Helen-450889 said:

Richard, this is soooo sad to read. I pray that some wealthy benefactor steps up and donates what is needed.
--hide--

Thanks Helen ... But it not like we need money ... Our church is in the black and we don't take any funding from the Archdiocese ... In fact, some people think it's because they want our money to prop up another church that is in the red ... I don't know about that, but our church is just so warm and oldtime holy you just feel so contented and close to God there ... It is so sad, you are right!

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: It seems they close all of the Traditional looking Churchs.Never the new ugly ones!
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

It seems they close all of the Traditional looking Churchs.Never the new ugly ones!

--hide--

They did close one of the ugly ones. In Southfield Mi my old parish closed St Beads. It was ugly but I made my first communion there. I have many fond memories

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: It seems they close all of the Traditional looking Churchs.Never the new ugly ones!
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

It seems they close all of the Traditional looking Churchs.Never the new ugly ones!

--hide--

Right, Bernard ... the newer churches all seem like the cookie-cutter ballparks of the 1970s ... all the same, with no personality ... If our church was in Italy, it'd probably be a tourist attraction!

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-841276 said: They did close one of the ugly ones. In Southfield Mi my old parish closed St Beads. It...
(Quote) Joseph-841276 said:

They did close one of the ugly ones. In Southfield Mi my old parish closed St Beads. It was ugly but I made my first communion there. I have many fond memories

--hide--

Memories do count, indeed!

Feb 22nd 2013 new

Sorry to hear Richard.

But remember your personal relationship with Jesus is in your heart, and I pray you will find another catholic church because you worship Jesus , not the church .

I do undertand you have fond memories, ask Jesus to help you through this.

God bless. and may our Heavenly Father in Jesus' name , find a way to keep this church open.

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Bertha-811213 said: Sorry to hear Richard. But remember your personal relationship with Jesus is in your ...
(Quote) Bertha-811213 said:

Sorry to hear Richard.

But remember your personal relationship with Jesus is in your heart, and I pray you will find another catholic church because you worship Jesus , not the church .

I do undertand you have fond memories, ask Jesus to help you through this.

God bless. and may our Heavenly Father in Jesus' name , find a way to keep this church open.

--hide--

Yes, you are right, Bertha ... I know deep down that ultimately it is just a building ... the statues are plaster ... it's the faith and religious convictions that truly matter ... But, really did feel let down by the the way our parishioners' pleas have been summarily dismissed ... Takes a lot out of you and hurts your heart ...

Posts 1 - 10 of 183