Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

02/22/2013 new

Lina sent me a message back to a question I asked her about the hotels saying she had group rates for a couple hotels and that she would be messaging people to see which hotel they would want to stay at. I would strongly suggest everyone look at the customer reviews for both hotels (I think there are 2, but perhaps there are more) onwww.tripadvisor.combecause at least a couple of the hotels she was looking at had some very bad customer reviews mixed in among the good ones. I would suggest reading about the first 15 reviews (which might be just reviews from the past couple months) for each hotel in order to see what people who actually stayed at these hotels have to say. It is eye-openingeyepopping in some cases!I know there are hotels I would absolutely NOT stay at after reading what some guests found in their rooms when they checked in and other experiences they had while staying in their rooms. Hope this helps people to make an informed decision so they can have a WONDERFUL experience in Phoenix/Scottsdale!biggrin

02/22/2013 new

Nice to hear everyone getting so excited and with so many new people considering making the trip it's absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to see the Fall group again and meet all the newcomers. I'd be very interested in any of the hikes Joan mentioned. Depending on the activities and when everyone else arrives, I may come Thursday as well. So many interesting thoughts being tossed around.

Lina, sounds like you've created quite a buzz! wave Great job!

Can't wait,

Dan

02/22/2013 new

(Quote) Joan-529855 said: Yeah for the CM crowd coming to Phoenix again!! I would like to join you for the Sedona day trip, ...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said:

Yeah for the CM crowd coming to Phoenix again!! I would like to join you for the Sedona day trip, as well as a Tucson day trip. I used to live in Tucson as well and the San Xavier Mission would be a WONDERFUL stop and we MUST stop at an EeGee's while we are there. I can pick anybody up that comes to the airport, either Sky Harbor or Phoenix/Mesa Gateway (only 10 minutes from my house). Make sure you check ALL the airlines, including Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier for flights into Phoenix/Mesa Gateway (flights are usually less expensive than Sky Harbor). I can "hang out" with anybody that comes in early (like Thursday/Friday) as I am substitute teaching til the end of the school year. Would love to visit the art galleries in Scottsdale! My daughter periodically has art work at the galleries and I rarely go there to look around. ALSO would love to tackle the backside of Camelback with anybody that feels up to it. The last time I climbed it was last April and the temp was 100 degrees! It is definitely a workout...bring LOTS of water/gatorade. A less strenuous hike might be in the Superstition Mountains. What about the Arboretum near Superior? Absolutely STUNNING in the spring, especially after all of the moisture we have gotten this winter. Thanks Lina for planning this get together. As you can see I am not much of an "indoor" person, so spending alot of time at an indoor restaraunt is not my thing. There is an AMAZING restaraunt with outdoor seating in Cave Creek that would be great for a group. Let me know if you need any help "planning".

--hide--

Hi Joan, please join us Thursday night for the art galleries, and perhaps dinner out walking around Old Town Scottsdale! One or two of us are also considering heading to the Grand Canyon (I've never seen it) when the weekend is over. I would likely stay in Arizona until Tuesday or Wednesday if I decide to do that. wave Since, I'll be staying in Scottsdale it will be easy to do the Thursday evening event!

02/22/2013 new

www.hiexpress.com

FYI--with a number of people expressing interest in being in town before the original "official" CM Phx in the Spring event, it seems that the Holiday Inn Express in Scottsdale will serve people best. I am working to get a discounted group rate, but to have that available, I need to fill a minimum of 8 rooms. And I will have to sign a contract guaranteeing that 8 rooms will be paid for--meaning, if not enough CMers attend and stay there, I will be responsible for paying for the unused rooms. irked And we don't want that to happen!

What would be most helpful to me is that people privately message me the days they'll be staying at the hotel, and whether they will take a room by themselves or will be sharing with someone. That way I will see whether we shall meet the minimum, and I will be able to tell the hotel about the spread of days (example: 5 people are staying Thu thru Mon, 2 people are staying Wed thru Sat, etc). This also affects the contract. And the contract needs to be signed by Tuesday, folks.

Thank you.

02/22/2013 new

Mmm...it is 230 miles to the Grand Canyon, and that is just the south rim. That would take at least 3.5 hours drive. There is also a train ride from Williams AZ to the Grand Canyon (never been on it) that is very popular. If you are up to hiking, the Grand Canyon has at least two really nice hikes down and back, but you would need to make reservations to stay in the lodge/campground at the bottom. THere is a really nice hotel on the south rim though. I don't think you would want to do the Grand Canyon trip in a day. As far as hotels in Phoenix goes; what about the Grand Hotel at South MOuntain, or the Pointe at Tapatio? Another good one is the Camelback Inn, though it might be a little pricey. A great place to go to mass is the CASA (Franciscan Renewal Center) in Paradise Valley; absolutely beautiful grounds. Lots to do, so little time biggrin scratchchin.

02/22/2013 new

Oops, the hotels I mentioned are surely more $$$ than the Holiday Inn Express. Of course, budget is always a priority embarassed.

02/22/2013 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: www.hiexpress.com a number of pe...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

www.hiexpress.com

FYI--with a number of people expressing interest in being in town before the original "official" CM Phx in the Spring event, it seems that the Holiday Inn Express in Scottsdale will serve people best. I am working to get a discounted group rate, but to have that available, I need to fill a minimum of 8 rooms. And I will have to sign a contract guaranteeing that 8 rooms will be paid for--meaning, if not enough CMers attend and stay there, I will be responsible for paying for the unused rooms. And we don't want that to happen!

What would be most helpful to me is that people privately message me the days they'll be staying at the hotel, and whether they will take a room by themselves or will be sharing with someone. That way I will see whether we shall meet the minimum, and I will be able to tell the hotel about the spread of days (example: 5 people are staying Thu thru Mon, 2 people are staying Wed thru Sat, etc). This also affects the contract. And the contract needs to be signed by Tuesday, folks.

Thank you.

--hide--

So glad that you finally decided on the hotel that I suggested to you last week (after I did a lot of research on various hotels in Phoenix and Scottsdale). It does have very good reviews on Tripadvisor, and, in fact, is ranked #10 out of 79 hotels in Scottsdale. I really think that CM'ers will enjoy staying there and it is such a great location!cloudnine

02/23/2013 new
Thanks Lina for putting this together for all of us! Whatever you plan I am totally good with... it's not easy pulling this all together!

Last years hotel was perfect, and this years will be great too. The funny thing is... we were hardly at the hotel, as we were on the move together enjoying the scenery, and our new Catholic friends that attended... so looking forward to reconnecting with last year's group and meeting all the new attendees.

I will let you know no later than tomorrow my arrival/departure plans so you can consider getting a group rate. Thank you for offering to sign a contract for all of us, but please be careful with that as I would not want you to take on that kind of financial liability if someone cancels. I wonder how much their AAA rate is and if we can just use that (rather than you taking on the risk).

I am so looking forward to the weekend, whatever you plan is perfect for me, as it is more about meeting the people we see online than everything else. Wherever we go, whatever we see, it will all be really fun! I thoroughly enjoyed the fall event and look forward to the Spring.

Thanks again, and see you all soon! highfive
02/23/2013 new
Janet I agree with your comment about letting Lina know your intentions about going ASAP ... I, too, would not like to see her or anybody get stuck possibly owing hundreds just to save us ten or eleven dollars a night.
02/23/2013 new

Earlier this morning after I signed up, I got a message from Lina saying that 5 people were signed up so far.hug

So, that just leaves 3 (and if you, Janet sign up this weekend) that just leaves 2.clap

So, those of you who are definitely coming, please SIGN UP NOW!!!hissyfit

Everyone who has signed up so far gets a You get a Gold Star! even though I don't know who you are!

The rest of you can't have one until you SIGN UP!sad

Time is of the essencehyper so just do it! biggrin

And, that is my pep talk for those of you who need it (and you know who you are!)duck

Posts 101 - 110 of 453