Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: While praying the Hail Mary (not me) a little boy said "blessed art those swimmin women" i...
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: While praying the Hail Mary (not me) a little boy said "blessed art those swimmin women" in stead of "blessed art thou amongst women"
--hide--

Haha, that's so funny. It reminds me of a mistake I used to make as a kid while saying The Lord's Prayer in school. I would say "Our Father, two times eleven" instead of "Our Father who art in heaven"! shhh laughing Well, what can I say.. I guess I liked mathematics right from the start! tongue

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-937842 said: OMG, major law suit today. How did they get away with such atrocities? It was so long ago, these things ...
(Quote) Mary-937842 said: OMG, major law suit today. How did they get away with such atrocities? It was so long ago, these things do leave an impression. Next?
--hide--

I don't know. And my siblings and I have tons of stories like that. How does someone - esp. someone who is supposed to be married to the Almighty - think behavior like that is appropriate or even Christian. Maybe in the times of the Inquisition. They were alive then, I'm sure taking notes the whole time. rolling eyes Should still sue. irked But no, I just pray for their souls - they need prayers. Praying

Sister Jane used to wear pants at recess! and pitched softball to us fourth grade kids, and then read us Laura Ingalls Wilder stories. She was cool. Sister M. also taught my dad!! in 2nd grade - he had perm. scars from her idiocy. Us kids (40 yrs later)also suffered her emotional wrath. irked

Feb 23rd 2013 new
Hi Kate, I too remember 2 sweet Nuns, the rest has severe anger issues.
Feb 23rd 2013 new
When I was in Catholic grade school, we went to confession as a class each month. In 4th or 5th grade there was a boy in my class who went into the confessional before me. Our pastor was an Irish priest of the the old "fire and brimstone" variety. I have no idea what my classmate confessed, but the priest came out of the confessional, grabbed the boy by his ear, and marched him out of the church. After that, it was at least a year before I was willing to confess anything worse than yelling at my brother. : )
Feb 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) Brad-937504 said: When I was in Catholic grade school, we went to confession as a class each month. In 4th or 5th grade there was a ...
(Quote) Brad-937504 said: When I was in Catholic grade school, we went to confession as a class each month. In 4th or 5th grade there was a boy in my class who went into the confessional before me. Our pastor was an Irish priest of the the old "fire and brimstone" variety. I have no idea what my classmate confessed, but the priest came out of the confessional, grabbed the boy by his ear, and marched him out of the church. After that, it was at least a year before I was willing to confess anything worse than yelling at my brother. : )
--hide--
Scary...we were at practice for first communion. Our church was under construction after a fire so we were using another building. Anyway, we were all suppose to be listening to Sister and she heard a little boy talking. She grabbed him and brought him over to the step and made him lay across it and spanked him more than a few times. I was crying for him and couldn't wait to get out of rehearsal. My Dad was working and I knew a neighbor boy was coming to pick me up but he was very late so I started walking home. It wasn't one of the best neighborhoods and I was to the industrial park when he found me. That was one of the worst days my little life...first watching a NUN wallop that boy and being abandoned!
Feb 23rd 2013 new

When I was in Kindergarten through Second grade I attended St. Philip Neri Parish and School. There was a Sister Mary P. tall and thin who taught first grade and wore a full black habit. In Third grade we moved to St. Francis of Assisi parish and Rosary School, where Sr. M. Prudence taught, tall and thin, but wore a modified habit. I just knew they were the same person and for about three years I was confused as all get out about it lol. They looked just alike and sounded just alike. LOL

In fifth grade we had Sr. Cathel, who was known for her sterness and her accuracy with a chalk filled eraser. It was a true mark of shame to have yellow chalk dust on your uniform, because you were talking or passing a note and she caught you. I tried to stay under the radar, but one day she said, Miss Norwood, one would think by fifth grade one would know how to spell their name? I know how to spell my name, I retorted, highly offended that she would suggest I didn't. Really? she says, and how would you spell your name? I am getting more indignant and spell my name. She kind of pursed her lips and held out my paper and asked and then who might Lauren Norwod be? I yanked the paper away and sure enough I had written Norwod instead of Norwood, lol, I was pretty embarrassed.

I have no true horror stories, my experiences with the nuns were on the whole pretty good. But, at St. Philip's our principal was Sr. Alice, and the older students told us that she had an electric paddle with nails in it. That she used it so often someone had gotten her an electric one to save her from having to lift the paddle all on her own she so loved to dish out the corporal punishment. Mind you as a little one, it never occurred to me to think that an electric paddle would not have been very feasible and that bodily mortification went out a long time before. Nor did anyone who actually was sent to her office ever leave it with a paddling of any form. It was enough to keep me terrified of Sr. Alice for a long time lol.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

ill never forget the weekend of the Cuban Missle Crisis.The nuns made us all go to confession.My teacher put her arms around me.I guess she thought shed never see me again.
Everyone sure thought WW3 was coming up.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: When I was in Kindergarten through Second grade I attended St. Philip Neri Parish and School. T...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

When I was in Kindergarten through Second grade I attended St. Philip Neri Parish and School. There was a Sister Mary P. tall and thin who taught first grade and wore a full black habit. In Third grade we moved to St. Francis of Assisi parish and Rosary School, where Sr. M. Prudence taught, tall and thin, but wore a modified habit. I just knew they were the same person and for about three years I was confused as all get out about it lol. They looked just alike and sounded just alike. LOL

In fifth grade we had Sr. Cathel, who was known for her sterness and her accuracy with a chalk filled eraser. It was a true mark of shame to have yellow chalk dust on your uniform, because you were talking or passing a note and she caught you. I tried to stay under the radar, but one day she said, Miss Norwood, one would think by fifth grade one would know how to spell their name? I know how to spell my name, I retorted, highly offended that she would suggest I didn't. Really? she says, and how would you spell your name? I am getting more indignant and spell my name. She kind of pursed her lips and held out my paper and asked and then who might Lauren Norwod be? I yanked the paper away and sure enough I had written Norwod instead of Norwood, lol, I was pretty embarrassed.

I have no true horror stories, my experiences with the nuns were on the whole pretty good. But, at St. Philip's our principal was Sr. Alice, and the older students told us that she had an electric paddle with nails in it. That she used it so often someone had gotten her an electric one to save her from having to lift the paddle all on her own she so loved to dish out the corporal punishment. Mind you as a little one, it never occurred to me to think that an electric paddle would not have been very feasible and that bodily mortification went out a long time before. Nor did anyone who actually was sent to her office ever leave it with a paddling of any form. It was enough to keep me terrified of Sr. Alice for a long time lol.

--hide--

laughing laughing laughing laughing I love that story Lauren. laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Feb 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: I was in Form 3 or 8th grade in covent school. The nuns had a rule that you could not pick the f...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

I was in Form 3 or 8th grade in covent school. The nuns had a rule that you could not pick the fruit off of the fruit trees on the convent grounds. However, they never seemed to pick them themselves so their trees were always laden which was a great temptation for all. One day after leaving girl guides ( scouts) no one seemed to be around so my girl friend and I decided to pick some and figured that the nuns would never notice. Being the pluckiest of the two of us I proceeded to strip down to my vest and undershorts that the nuns made us wear under our uniforms. ( not very decent I know but it was an all girls school). Keep in mind that this was a tangerine tree and they are covered in prickles so I proceeded to get scratched to death. However being the brave soul that I am and not one to give up, I persevered until I got to the top part where the fruit was easy to reach. My friend then handed me first her bag which I filled and then my bag which I again filled. I was just about to get down when I heard a familiar voice; Sister Claire. She called out " What a lovely surprise!!! You girls decided to surprise us in the convent by picking fruit for us. What thoughtful girls you are." She then told me to stop being silly and get down here so she could give me a hug for my kindness. I was mortified. While I dressed she asked us if we wanted to come down to the convent for the nuns to thank us personally. She then even offered to send notes home to our parents to tell them how thoughtful we were. Of course Sister Claire knew that we were stealing tangerines but she also knew that we would not deny picking them for the nuns. So I went home covered in scratches with not even one tangerine to show for it. I even had the added pleasure of explaining to my mum why there were so many rips in my gym vest. AHHHHH!!!! Convent school.

--hide--

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Feb 27th 2013 new

[quote]Mary-937842 said: Hi Shara, that's my kind of story, I can see you now. Thanks for sharing. I'll send another soon. Have a great day, Mary [Send us some more,Mary laughing laughing laughing laughing

Posts 21 - 30 of 62