Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Adoration

Feb 24th 2013 new

This is going to sound horrible I am sure.... I was raised catholic but not until the last few years did either of the churches I attend start doing adoration. We were never taught or instructed on what to do during adoration. I have gone a few times and all I did was pray because I didn't know what else I was supposed to do. Is there anything else one is supposed to do while in adoration? I went a few times and stopped going because the mother of the woman whom my ex was having an affair with was always there when I was and made it extremely uncomfortable for me to go. I need to start going again as I have some hard things to answer in my annulment papers and need to pray over them and get some guidance from Above.

Thanks!

Feb 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Heather-705104 said: This is going to sound horrible I am sure.... I was raised catholic but not until the last few ...
(Quote) Heather-705104 said:

This is going to sound horrible I am sure.... I was raised catholic but not until the last few years did either of the churches I attend start doing adoration. We were never taught or instructed on what to do during adoration. I have gone a few times and all I did was pray because I didn't know what else I was supposed to do. Is there anything else one is supposed to do while in adoration? I went a few times and stopped going because the mother of the woman whom my ex was having an affair with was always there when I was and made it extremely uncomfortable for me to go. I need to start going again as I have some hard things to answer in my annulment papers and need to pray over them and get some guidance from Above.

Thanks!

--hide--

Don't worry about what to do, just go and what to do will happen naturally. So go and pray or sit there in silence listening for God. You can take some spiritual reading and spend some time reading and then meditating over it. I find that, when going through rough times, getting everything off my chest while praying and then sitting there quietly listening for Him is very helpful. My weekly Adoration time is the highlight of my week.

Feb 24th 2013 new

Thank you so much!

Feb 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Heather-705104 said: This is going to sound horrible I am sure.... I was raised catholic but not until the last few ...

Thanks!

--hide--

Jesus loves us so much and wants to be with us. Just go. Pray, sit. Look at him there. Tell him you love him. Ask him to help you love him more. I always felt I had to talk talk talk, eventually I learned the silence was even better.

It doesn't matter who's there. That woman's mother may be embarrassed because of what her daughter is doing. So say a prayer for her as well. Focus on Jesus to the exclusion of all else. It's good practice for heaven.

Feb 24th 2013 new

Thank you! I don't know if she is embarrassed; she told me once that she was praying for me to let go of the anger I had towards her daughter and to let my kids go over to her house more. After that run in at church, I left and started going to another church. Her catholic daughter and my catholic ex are now married (no annulments)..... I think my new church does adoration, just need to find out about it.

I guess I feel weird just sitting there, not doing anything. It is something to get used to.....

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Heather-705104 said: Thank you! I don't know if she is embarrassed; she told me once that she was praying for me...

Thank you! I don't know if she is embarrassed; she told me once that she was praying for me to let go of the anger I had towards her daughter and to let my kids go over to her house more. After that run in at church, I left and started going to another church. Her catholic daughter and my catholic ex are now married (no annulments)..... I think my new church does adoration, just need to find out about it.

I guess I feel weird just sitting there, not doing anything. It is something to get used to.....

--hide--

Don't worry, there is no special thing you are required to do while in Adoration. It is a time for you to be with God through prayer and silence so as to give God an opportunity to get through to you.

In the "Spirit of Vatican II" priests and bishops did away with a lot of the practices that existed.

I know a lot of those old practices bordered on the superstitious and should have been done away with.

Some people turn anything into a superstitious practice. But those practices should not be done away simply because some people go off the rails.

Unfortunately, both were thrown out.

We were taught that with the Eucharist in the tabernacle, any visit could and should be treated as an act of adoration. So it was there and did not need special Adoration Chapels. Take note of the fact, that Adoration Chapels, too often hidden from view, took the place of the tabernacle in many churches. They are usually relatively small spaces so few people can adore at a time. Those were the days when Church doors were never locked.

In any case, in those olden days, the Presence of Christ in the Eucharist was emphasized in every parish by the old practice of 40 hours Adoration. It took place at least once per year in a parish. The parish in which I grew up had it twice a year; in the fall before Advent and in the spring after Easter. At one time in Rome, it took place monthly with a different Church used each month.

As our Parish practised it, it lasted more than 40 hrs. but no one was counting. It began with Mass at 9 AM on day one after which there was a procession with all the alter boys taking part taking the Blessed Sacrament in the Monstrance from the main alter around the Church where it was enthroned on the side altar. All during the period of Adoration, two altar boys were present on the side altar. The younger boys from the end of Mass until about 6 PM, the older boys until about 9 to 10 PM. Older High school boys or men in the parish until 9 Am the next day. The same cycle took place on day 2 and 3. It ended at 7 PM of day 3 with a procession around the church bringing the Blessed Sacrament back to the main altar followed by solemn Benediction.

In addition to the 40 Hrs, Benediction took place every Sunday evening. Every Friday evening, except Good Friday, we had the Stations of the Sorrowful Mother followed by Benediction. During Lent The Sorrowful Mother Novena was preceded by the Stations of the Cross. By the way, we were not a Servite parish. But it was common in Chicago for most parishes to have the Sorrowful Mother Novena every Friday.

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Heather-705104 said: Thank you! I don't know if she is embarrassed; she told me once that she was praying for me...

Thank you! I don't know if she is embarrassed; she told me once that she was praying for me to let go of the anger I had towards her daughter and to let my kids go over to her house more.

--hide--

It won't hurt to do just that. Much as it galls you. He's still their father and should be able to see the kids even if it means their stepmother is around.

Feb 25th 2013 new

They see their father. This was before the custody agreement was made. He chose to have them every other weekend and one night a week. That was his choice.....

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Heather-705104 said: They see their father. This was before the custody agreement was made. He chose to have them ev...

They see their father. This was before the custody agreement was made. He chose to have them every other weekend and one night a week. That was his choice.....

--hide--

I can't remember what saint told this story, but--I think St. John Vianney.

He was in his parish church one night, and he saw a farmer sitting in the pew, staring at the tabernacle. St. John asked him what he was doing, and the farmer said, "I look at Him, and He looks at me." Sometimes that's the best sort of adoration.

Mar 7th 2013 new

Thanks!

--hide--

On the advice of a very holy priest.... After my marriage started to crumble & while going through the divorce I slowly began to spend more & more time with Our Lord till I had an hour a day habit in front of Him. At that time... I was truly too broke to even attempt any formal prayer, so I mostly just discussed with Him the various issues in my life I was trying to navigate. And sometimes like others have mentioned... I just sat placing it all in His hands in silence. I began to discover what real peace inside feels like.

I can't put into words what has transcribed since practicing this. Even if I was still miserable afterwards, I always found myself more focused and possessing a deeper clarity of purpose towards whatever I had to do next. All sorts of opportunities, friends, a job, and a new home just sort of "dropped" into my life. I can go on and on! Jesus longs for us to be with Him and can fill us with so much grace whenever we take the time to visit. He loves us so....

If I were you I'd take up the suggestion of simply offering a prayer for the woman you have such difficulty with, then just let Jesus deal with it. He'll give you the peace & strength to let the turmoil inside go if you let him...

All the best Heather... rose rose rose

His Peace... theheart

Posts 1 - 10 of 10