Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I ask this question because I have been approached by a gentleman who is much older than I and I am not sure what I think of the age difference. Since there is much more wisdom on this site than I have, I was wondering if there is anything in the bible or an example of such a thing. This may have been a topic that has been discussed before but it just came up in my life. Words of wisdom and thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Feb 25th 2013 new

Age doesn't mean a doggoned thing.

My parents were 20 years apart, inlaws were 16 years apart, late husband was 11 years older than I... Some of my most enjoyable friendships have been with people 10-15 years younger, or 13 years older.

Do your minds work the same way? Do you laugh at the same things? Are you both kind and generous? Have the same values? Go for it!

(Naturally, there are practical issues involved with age differences: blended families, perhaps, or health concerns. But many people are worth taking those risks. When my mother remarried at age 66, I asked her, "Will you be able to care for Jim the way you did for Dad?" She answered, "Maybe he'll be taking care of me.")

I say again: GO FOR IT.

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Age doesn't mean a doggoned thing.My parents were 20 years apart, inlaws were 16 year...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

My parents were 20 years apart, inlaws were 16 years apart, late husband was 11 years older than I... Some of my most enjoyable friendships have been with people 10-15 years younger, or 13 years older.

Do your minds work the same way? Do you laugh at the same things? Are you both kind and generous? Have the same values? Go for it!

(Naturally, there are practical issues involved with age differences: blended families, perhaps, or health concerns. But many people are worth taking those risks. When my mother remarried at age 66, I asked her, "Will you be able to care for Jim the way you did for Dad?" She answered, "Maybe he'll be taking care of me.")

--hide--

20 years does mean a lot at 55 or 60.. My dad is 84. There is no way I'm going to date an 80 year old man. And I know you won't either..

Feb 25th 2013 new

It all comes down to chemistry.There are some practical things to consider though.Whatever works for the individual.

Feb 25th 2013 new

Yes, at this age (55) 20 years is a BIG difference. But, that being said....that is where I am at! He is on administrative leave as a deacon from the church and has put his eye one me --- I have tried saying many things but it just isn't coming across. I don't want to be mean or ugly but how do you make a man understand? boggled

Feb 25th 2013 new

My aunt and uncle were 15yrs apart in age. It never made a difference to them nor did we notice an issue. However, I have found it challenging because men 10+ years older than myself are at retirement age and have different ideas than being bound to going to work M-F.

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Laurel-904204 said: Yes, at this age (55) 20 years is a BIG difference. But, that being said....that is where I am a...
(Quote) Laurel-904204 said:

Yes, at this age (55) 20 years is a BIG difference. But, that being said....that is where I am at! He is on administrative leave as a deacon from the church and has put his eye one me --- I have tried saying many things but it just isn't coming across. I don't want to be mean or ugly but how do you make a man understand?

--hide--

You said the magic word.. Deacon.. He is not supposed to date or marry as a deacon.. Administrative leave does not give him permission to do so.. And what did he do to get on Administrative leave? Don't answer that question. But those two things would be enough to cut off communication immediately regardless of age.

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Age doesn't mean a doggoned thing.My parents were 20 years apart, inlaws were 16 year...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

--hide--
I like mom! rose

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: You said the magic word.. Deacon.. He is not supposed to date or marry as a deacon.. ...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

You said the magic word.. Deacon.. He is not supposed to date or marry as a deacon.. Administrative leave does not give him permission to do so.. And what did he do to get on Administrative leave? Don't answer that question. But those two things would be enough to cut off communication immediately regardless of age.

--hide--
Donna, he did explain it to me. And it is legitimate. That does not change his age!

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Laurel-904204 said: Donna, he did explain it to me. And it is legitimate. That does not change his age!
(Quote) Laurel-904204 said:

Donna, he did explain it to me. And it is legitimate. That does not change his age!

--hide--

Laurel I am no expert but 20 years does seem significant. In my search I go 6 years in both directions. My friends mentioned a rule of 10. I picked 6 because I got some views from folks with a 6 year difference on CM.

Posts 1 - 10 of 72