Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: I waited 22+ years.. Witnesses was tough, but it got done..
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

I waited 22+ years.. Witnesses was tough, but it got done..

--hide--
Thanks Donna! You give me hope! By the way, Pat has been wonderful. Thanks for the connection!

Feb 25th 2013 new

That is exactly the reason they require a wait...for any opportunity to reconcile. And I actually did speak with my ex prior to going ahead with the process...I felt I had to reach out one more time...but he was unwilling to include any outside help, especially anyone that might involve "religion" (he has stepped away from his faith). It was a clear sign to me.

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-824866 said: That is exactly the reason they require a wait...for any opportunity to reconcile. And I actually...
(Quote) Laura-824866 said:

That is exactly the reason they require a wait...for any opportunity to reconcile. And I actually did speak with my ex prior to going ahead with the process...I felt I had to reach out one more time...but he was unwilling to include any outside help, especially anyone that might involve "religion" (he has stepped away from his faith). It was a clear sign to me.

--hide--

My point was that the Tribunals that I've been aware of don't require a wait..You could literally start the annulment process one day after your divorce is final as long as you have the decree in hand.. I was wondering if it was your parish priest that told you to wait a year.. I know someone right now who was told by her parish priest to wait a year.. But that was his own personal position, not the Tribunals..

Feb 26th 2013 new

My parish priest asked me to wait two years after the divorce. As I have just completed the questions, I realize that I gained quite a bit of perspective in that time. If I had tried to answer them any sooner, I could not have answered them with such clarity!

Feb 26th 2013 new

Oh, I didn't realize...I thought it was a "standard" practice to have a waiting period.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Laurel-904204 said: On average, how long do most wait to file for an annulment after the civil divorce is final? Has...
(Quote) Laurel-904204 said:

On average, how long do most wait to file for an annulment after the civil divorce is final? Has anyone filed for the annulment before the civil divorce was final? I was married in the Church 30+ years ago and I just returned to the Church last September after being gone for a very long time. I ask this only because of the forums. I have had many tell me I should begin the process. However, after this long, I don't remember the details except for my last night in the house and I am not sure I want to dig us the dust. Thoughts?

--hide--

First off, welcome to CM and to the forums. This is a wonderful community and I'm sure you'll like it here.

Second a BIG welcome back to the Church. You've taken a wonderful step and God is very pleased. He loves us so much - all he asks that we love him in return, talk to him, and try our best to do his will.

If you're interested in dating, you really should begin the annulment process. Your diocese may offer presentations about the process and what it entails. Mine offers them quarterly. Get some information. Maye speak with the priest at your parish or another priest with whom you have a good relationship. It's not easy to look at these thins, but it's a huge step towards healing. Plus, you never know when love willsurprise you. Therefore you want to be eligible to date and marry.

After a long time hemming and hawing, I've vowed to complete and file my application by the end of Lent. I'm making slow but steady progress. It's difficult but I'm also learning a lot.

Good luck to you!

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Margaret-923925 said: My parish priest asked me to wait two years after the divorce. As I have just completed the qu...
(Quote) Margaret-923925 said:

My parish priest asked me to wait two years after the divorce. As I have just completed the questions, I realize that I gained quite a bit of perspective in that time. If I had tried to answer them any sooner, I could not have answered them with such clarity!

--hide--

That's a recommendation; not a requirement. There's some wisdom to it because newly divorced people don't always have the perspective to evaluate things well.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: First off, welcome to CM and to the forums. This is a wonderful community and I'...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

First off, welcome to CM and to the forums. This is a wonderful community and I'm sure you'll like it here.

Second a BIG welcome back to the Church. You've taken a wonderful step and God is very pleased. He loves us so much - all he asks that we love him in return, talk to him, and try our best to do his will.

If you're interested in dating, you really should begin the annulment process. Your diocese may offer presentations about the process and what it entails. Mine offers them quarterly. Get some information. Maye speak with the priest at your parish or another priest with whom you have a good relationship. It's not easy to look at these thins, but it's a huge step towards healing. Plus, you never know when love willsurprise you. Therefore you want to be eligible to date and marry.

After a long time hemming and hawing, I've vowed to complete and file my application by the end of Lent. I'm making slow but steady progress. It's difficult but I'm also learning a lot.

Good luck to you!

--hide--
Thank you David. Well, it has been 31.5 years since I my civil divorce was final. To even think of digging up old bones and stirring up dust just gives me pause. But, that being said, I am in a bible study at the church, Journey of Hope, for divorced Catholics. This week there will be a member of the Tribunal speaking to us. I could ask a million questions - you can ask the Deacon who met with me when I came back "home" -but I think I will just listen, absorb and meditate on the information. I am learning so much just returning - more than I ever learned in my 20 years of attending church - and I am loving every minute of it! Dating and marriage are far from my plate -- but I joined CM for the conversation and friendships I hoped to make of like people upon my return. That is why I am "seeking friendship only". Good luck and prayers and you complete your forms and hopefully find peace.

Feb 26th 2013 new

I am meeting with my priest again this weekend. HAve any questions to ask? Anyone...anyone????

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Heather-705104 said: I am meeting with my priest again this weekend. HAve any questions to ask? Anyone...anyone????<...
(Quote) Heather-705104 said:

I am meeting with my priest again this weekend. HAve any questions to ask? Anyone...anyone????

--hide--
In my Journey of Hope Class for divorced Catholics -

Dr. Renata I. Babicz-Baratto, JUD, JUL, Secretariat for Canonical Affairs for the Diocese of Lexington

will be speaking tomorrow night. So, I too will try to get an answers one might have...especially those of my own!

Posts 11 - 20 of 81