Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-267933 said: That's great! One other thing I'd recommend is that you work out early in the morning if at...
(Quote) Tom-267933 said:

That's great! One other thing I'd recommend is that you work out early in the morning if at all possible. Actually, I'm not a physical specimen but I've learned a few interesting things over the years. I'm using this Lenten season to work my way back into playing shape for a 35+ men's hockey league in my area, and I can offer a few tidbits from my informal "training" in the past:

1. Work out early in the morning. It helps get your metabolism up and helps you feel energetic all day long.
2. Related to the previous point ... Give yourself a full 8 hours to sleep every night, even if you find yourself waking up on your own with less sleep.
3. Combine #1 and #2 and a harsh reality sets in. If you work during "normal working hours," you'll find that you have to get to bed no later than 9 PM to get up by 5. If you need to get up by 4 to get a workout in, you have to be in bed by 8 PM. This relates to #4 below.
4. Go to bed at the same time every night, to the extent possible. And schedule as much of your regular sleep as possible during night hours. I've found that there's a huge difference between the quality of 8 hours of sleep starting at 9 PM and 8 hours starting at midnight.
5. Do exercise that you enjoy, not just exercise for the sake of doing it. You'll find it easier to stay committed to it.
6. Incorporate prayer into your physical activities. Make all of these difficult things a well-intentioned sacrifice to God.
7. Watch what you eat, but don't cut anything you like out of your diet completely. Even the most unhealthy food in the world is probably OK once a month.
8. Never step on a scale unless you're at the doctor's office. There are two reasons for this: (a) you're not trying to lose weight (you're trying to live better, and any weight loss will be a natural result of this); and (b) you may end up gaining weight after a while once your muscle tone starts to improve.
9. Make your exercise life a priority, not something you work into your schedule around other things. You'll be amazed at how much of the "clutter" in your life is completely meaningless once you do this. You won't have time for a lot of things that may be part of your daily routine, but you'll also find that these things aren't important anyway (watching television or surfing the Internet for long stretches of time, for example).
10. Trust me on this one: A cheerful, positive outlook will go a long way towards helping you along in this.

Good luck! I'm off to bed shortly because it's 9 PM right now here on the East Coast!

--hide--
haha thanks. I don't think i'm going to be getting up 5 again. I enjoy sleeping in since i've been retired from the Military. That is some great advice though for anyone. Early morning is the best time.

Feb 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Tom-267933 said: That's great! One other thing I'd recommend is that you work out early in the morning if at all possible....
(Quote) Tom-267933 said:

That's great! One other thing I'd recommend is that you work out early in the morning if at all possible. Actually, I'm not a physical specimen but I've learned a few interesting things over the years. I'm using this Lenten season to work my way back into playing shape for a 35+ men's hockey league in my area, and I can offer a few tidbits from my informal "training" in the past:

1. Work out early in the morning. It helps get your metabolism up and helps you feel energetic all day long.
2. Related to the previous point ... Give yourself a full 8 hours to sleep every night, even if you find yourself waking up on your own with less sleep.
3. Combine #1 and #2 and a harsh reality sets in. If you work during "normal working hours," you'll find that you have to get to bed no later than 9 PM to get up by 5. If you need to get up by 4 to get a workout in, you have to be in bed by 8 PM. This relates to #4 below.
4. Go to bed at the same time every night, to the extent possible. And schedule as much of your regular sleep as possible during night hours. I've found that there's a huge difference between the quality of 8 hours of sleep starting at 9 PM and 8 hours starting at midnight.
5. Do exercise that you enjoy, not just exercise for the sake of doing it. You'll find it easier to stay committed to it.
6. Incorporate prayer into your physical activities. Make all of these difficult things a well-intentioned sacrifice to God.
7. Watch what you eat, but don't cut anything you like out of your diet completely. Even the most unhealthy food in the world is probably OK once a month.
8. Never step on a scale unless you're at the doctor's office. There are two reasons for this: (a) you're not trying to lose weight (you're trying to live better, and any weight loss will be a natural result of this); and (b) you may end up gaining weight after a while once your muscle tone starts to improve.
9. Make your exercise life a priority, not something you work into your schedule around other things. You'll be amazed at how much of the "clutter" in your life is completely meaningless once you do this. You won't have time for a lot of things that may be part of your daily routine, but you'll also find that these things aren't important anyway (watching television or surfing the Internet for long stretches of time, for example).
10. Trust me on this one: A cheerful, positive outlook will go a long way towards helping you along in this.

Good luck! I'm off to bed shortly because it's 9 PM right now here on the East Coast!

--hide--

Great tips, Tom! I am impressed!
Feb 28th 2013 new

Real quick n'easy tip: cut out the sugar (cookies, soft drinks, etc.). Easiest ten pounds I ever lost.

Feb 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Charles-582940 said: Real quick n'easy tip: cut out the sugar (cookies, soft drinks, etc.). Easiest ten pounds I ever lost.
(Quote) Charles-582940 said:

Real quick n'easy tip: cut out the sugar (cookies, soft drinks, etc.). Easiest ten pounds I ever lost.

--hide--

What did you do when you had cravings? I have a big sweet tooth!!!
Mar 2nd 2013 new

Hi Andrew:

Sorry late on the reply...I don't go on the site very often...The dogs go swimming without me because of the place I take them...there is no swimming for humans...the pond is stocked with fish. Joy did push me in once however. I think it would be a blast to go with the dogs...I would probably drown from laughing.

Mar 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-267933 said: I can offer a few tidbits from my informal "training" in the past:
(Quote) Tom-267933 said:

I can offer a few tidbits from my informal "training" in the past:

--hide--

Tom, thanks for the tips!

Mar 2nd 2013 new

Love doing Zumba on the Wii.

Posts 71 - 77 of 77