Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Music of your era

03/03/2013 new

I am listening to the first Led Zeppelin album for the first time in what must be 30 years. Includes Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog and Whn the Levee Breaks. It certainly has stood up to the test of time. What are some of your favorite vintage songs, performer? How old were you when they came out?

And yes, Stairway to Heaven was the theme of one of my proms. I believe that's the year that prom colors were yellow and green -- described by a male classmate as "John Deere colors."

03/03/2013 new

Sadly for my social life, I have no connection to the music of "my era" (except for the Beatles). I grew up listening to my mother's generation's music.

03/03/2013 new

I have been rediscovering music that I love by doing my "over 40" singles parties here in Chicago, and making custom playlists for the background music. There is so much FANTASTIC music that you have forgotten about, and it has made me so happy to listen to it! :)

03/03/2013 new

Following Pats's post, the first music I remember as a kid was Chicago's-905264, and Saturday In the Park. Motown and Mafred Manns Earth Band

03/03/2013 new
(Quote) Margo-404841 said: I am listening to the first Led Zeppelin album for the first time in what must be 30 years. Includes Stairway t...
(Quote) Margo-404841 said:

I am listening to the first Led Zeppelin album for the first time in what must be 30 years. Includes Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog and Whn the Levee Breaks. It certainly has stood up to the test of time. What are some of your favorite vintage songs, performer? How old were you when they came out?

And yes, Stairway to Heaven was the theme of one of my proms. I believe that's the year that prom colors were yellow and green -- described by a male classmate as "John Deere colors."

--hide--
Stairway to Heaven was the "big" dance song at my 8th grade dance. Prom was "always and Forever" Favorite vintage has to be just about anything by Chicago
03/03/2013 new
(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I have been rediscovering music that I love by doing my "over 40" singles parties here in Chicago, and m...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I have been rediscovering music that I love by doing my "over 40" singles parties here in Chicago, and making custom playlists for the background music. There is so much FANTASTIC music that you have forgotten about, and it has made me so happy to listen to it! :)

--hide--
And we tried to get the dancing going with The Twist last night, but it was short lived. The music however was much better than the dancing. So many great memories. Thanks for the fun night Pat.
03/03/2013 new
(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Sadly for my social life, I have no connection to the music of "my era" (except for the Beatles). I ...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Sadly for my social life, I have no connection to the music of "my era" (except for the Beatles). I grew up listening to my mother's generation's music.

--hide--
Marge, I listened to my mom's and became a fan of the crooners, and passed it along to my kids. Which is almost as funny as them liking classic rock, and will even concede the remakes aren't as good as the originals.
03/03/2013 new

I was listening to Motown and the English invasion as a teen along with everyone else, but loved the folk music of the late 50's and 60's and I still listen to those recordings. I think I have all of them. That said, I grew up in an area of the country that had it's own style of music then, and I still listen to it today on the computer (KBON out of Layfayette), and get down to South Louisiana to hear it and dance to it as often as I can. It's now called Swamp Pop, and it is everything from Sam Cook and Percy Sledge genre, to country (but of the older variety) like Joe Stamply, old cajun waltzes and zydeco.

03/03/2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: I was listening to Motown and the English invasion as a teen along with everyone else, but love...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

I was listening to Motown and the English invasion as a teen along with everyone else, but loved the folk music of the late 50's and 60's and I still listen to those recordings. I think I have all of them. That said, I grew up in an area of the country that had it's own style of music then, and I still listen to it today on the computer (KBON out of Layfayette), and get down to South Louisiana to hear it and dance to it as often as I can. It's now called Swamp Pop, and it is everything from Sam Cook and Percy Sledge genre, to country (but of the older variety) like Joe Stamply, old cajun waltzes and zydeco.

--hide--
Has anyone been keeping up with Bob Dylan? He came out last fall w/Tempest and it is a beautiful/masterful/awful (as in terribly, fearfully, painfully beautiful) album. His voice is pretty much shredded these days, which in some ways makes it even more effective. Some deep religious references throughout the album.

03/03/2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: It's now called Swamp Pop, and it is everything from Sam Cook and Percy Sledge genre, to country (...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: It's now called Swamp Pop, and it is everything from Sam Cook and Percy Sledge genre, to country (but of the older variety) like Joe Stamply, old cajun waltzes and zydeco.

--hide--
I like that music! Have never heard that name before.

Posts 1 - 10 of 61