Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Recently, I talked to a 70 year old active Catholic man, who told me the priests in parishes in CA and HI marry couples based on good faith and they do not need annulments. I have an annulment and have consistently been told they are needed. Have you heard of this? Question 2. What are the men age 45+ thoughts on women wanting to obey the sixth commandment and still have a relationship grow toward marriage?

Mar 2nd 2013 new

Catholic priests marrying Catholic couples where one or both have civil divorces but without an annulment of marriage are not in conformity with the Catholic Churches' teachings.

By the 6th commandment, do you mean adultry or murder - I always confuse those two. mischievous

Here are the rules:

1. No sex before marriage.
2. No marriage before annulment.

wave

Mar 2nd 2013 new

Oh, and where are my manners???

Welcome, Judi wave

Mar 3rd 2013 new

I don't know about others but I had my Declaration of Nullity within a year of the time the divorce was final, many years ago without thinking of getting remarried.

Steve wave

Mar 3rd 2013 new

Sorry about that WELCOME to the forums

Steve wave

Mar 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Judi-872097 said: Recently, I talked to a 70 year old active Catholic man, who told me the priests in parishes in CA...
(Quote) Judi-872097 said:

Recently, I talked to a 70 year old active Catholic man, who told me the priests in parishes in CA and HI marry couples based on good faith and they do not need annulments. I have an annulment and have consistently been told they are needed. Have you heard of this? Question 2. What are the men age 45+ thoughts on women wanting to obey the sixth commandment and still have a relationship grow toward marriage?

--hide--

Anyone, Catholic or not, who has ever been married by anyone -- civil or religious -- needs an annulment before they are free to marry in the Church unless the spouse(s) from the previous marriage(s) is(are) deceased. If at least one of the spouses was Catholic and the marriage was outside the Church without a dispensation, the cause may be lack of form, which is a simple administrative process which usually takes only a few weeks; if both spouses were non-Catholic a full process is required in all cases.

If the man you spoke with knows specfic details of cases where someone was married in the Church without a required annulment, he should contact the (arch)bishop of the diocese where the marriage occurred.

Mar 4th 2013 new

I think the man you spoke to has misunderstood what he's been told.. My parish priest told me that 'elder' couples are often not required to go through the intensive marriage prep that younger couples must do.. (The 6 month wait)

Annulment is always required for a marriage in the Church...

Mar 4th 2013 new
I have never heard of that. I wish it were true because I dread starting the process.
Mar 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: By the 6th commandment, do you mean adultry or murder - I always confuse those two.
(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: By the 6th commandment, do you mean adultry or murder - I always confuse those two.
--hide--

Ten Commandments

1)Thou shalt not have other gods besides Me
2)Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain
3)Remember to keep holy the Lord’s day
4)Honor thy father and thy mother
5)Thou shalt not murder
6)Thou shalt not commit adultery
7)Thou shalt not steal
8)Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor
9)Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife
10)Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s goods
Mar 5th 2013 new
Would the women stop bashing men and would the men please stop bashing women? We look RIDICULOUS when we do this. Thread after thread of howling pain, fear, anger, and resentment. While we sit in the sieve complaining about each other, the list of CM members who are now engaged or married grows longer by the day. If we feel this way, the problem is ourselves and not others.
Posts 1 - 10 of 12