Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Marysia-253828 said: Anybody else concerned about the fact that there are so many Catholic Churches out there withou...
(Quote) Marysia-253828 said:

Anybody else concerned about the fact that there are so many Catholic Churches out there without kneelers, where the Tabernacle is placed anywere beside the center of the altar and genuflection is becoming a thing of the past?

--hide--
I think father Casey has a good reason why all is happening in the Catholic Church in the usa??? Scroll down to a good video, it's about 7 minutes long.eucharisticadorationforpriests.blogspot.com

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Oh, and forgot to mention... Confessions offered before all Masses!
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Oh, and forgot to mention... Confessions offered before all Masses!

--hide--

That's a SURE sign of a great parish!

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: Our parish was built many years ago. They developed the school before they built an official church b...
(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: Our parish was built many years ago. They developed the school before they built an official church building.
--hide--

The parish I always attended when visiting Omaha wa St Margaret Mary on the west side just north of Dodge. Ever been there?

Feb 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) David-364112 said: The parish I always attended when visiting Omaha wa St Margaret Mary on the west side just north of...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

The parish I always attended when visiting Omaha wa St Margaret Mary on the west side just north of Dodge. Ever been there?

--hide--
Yup, been there done that...lol
Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Marysia-253828 said: Anybody else concerned about the fact that there are so many Catholic Churches out there withou...
(Quote) Marysia-253828 said:

Anybody else concerned about the fact that there are so many Catholic Churches out there without kneelers, where the Tabernacle is placed anywere beside the center of the altar and genuflection is becoming a thing of the past?

--hide--
Where have you seen a Catholic Church sans kneelers? I still genuflect as long as my arthritis doesn't get worse. Our Tabernacle was once placed in an alcove to the left of our altar, but thankfully about ten years ago our then new pastor placed it in the center behind the altar where it belongs. If while attending Mass on the road I saw a Catholic Church without kneelers, I would definitely speak with the pastor about it.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Where have you seen a Catholic Church sans kneelers? I still genuflect as long as my arthritis do...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Where have you seen a Catholic Church sans kneelers? I still genuflect as long as my arthritis doesn't get worse. Our Tabernacle was once placed in an alcove to the left of our altar, but thankfully about ten years ago our then new pastor placed it in the center behind the altar where it belongs. If while attending Mass on the road I saw a Catholic Church without kneelers, I would definitely speak with the pastor about it.

--hide--
But Peter surely thats the whole point? There shouldnt have to be individual Priests changing the Church around to conform to a) fashion and the b) tradition and reverence we should expect from The Church.

Mar 1st 2013 new

One of the Catholic churches in my neighborhood has the tabernacle off to the side. People hardly look to the right to acknowledge it. When the altar boys and altar girls go past it before they leave the church some kneel and make the sign of the cross and some don't. If you go to the Sunday 9:00 a.m. mass everyone is talking before the mass starts, like you were at a Country Club. In fact, before all the masses start the people are talking, but the 9:00 a.m. Sunday mass is the worst. The statues of the saints are in the back of the church. I am thinking of no longer being a member of this parish.

I have also noticed in some Catholic churches there are no statues of any saints in the main church and they may have one statue of a saint in the entrance of the basement before you enter the church hall.

This is one reason that I like Catholic church hopping. When I visit different Catholic churches I get to see the devotion by the way the church looks inside, how the priests give their sermons and what the parish activities consist of. For me, it is best that I attend the traditional Catholic churches for I see more reverence.

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Calling a priest by his given name rather than using his title depends on the circumstanc...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Calling a priest by his given name rather than using his title depends on the circumstance. Examples; a mother or father would not be showing irreverence by referring to their son, a priest by his given name, nor would it be with his siblings and other close relatives. Priests do not show irreverence by referring to other priests by their given names in private situations.

A former seminary classmate of mine is a member of areligious order. As with many orders, his name was changed when he took vows. I still think of him by his given name Joe and would not be irreverent of me to refer to him that way in private. In public, that would be another matter.

It is extremely wrong, in public situations, to refer to a priest by his given name excpt for parents, siblings and close relatives.

Other possibilities exist as well. Although comparatively rare in the Latin rite, there is nothing wrong with a married priest's wife and or children to refer to him by his given name or other endearing titles.

--hide--

Yes, re: religious orders--You WANT to call Dominicans by their "first" names--they chose that name for a reason and want to be called by it! So at my Dominican parish, the priests are Fr. Michael, Fr. Gregory, Fr. Thomas, Fr.Whoever....all about the first names.

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Gabor-19025 said: This man has been proclaimed as a potential new Pope:www.novusordowatch.org.
(Quote) Gabor-19025 said:

This man has been proclaimed as a potential new Pope:

www.novusordowatch.org

I hope that he has had a change in opinion about his headwear and how he approaches the Mass? Is this a moment that he regrets? I hope so. There are many forums to make jokes outside of the Catholic Mass.

--hide--

I almost cried when I opened this link. Let's pray for Cardinal Dolan.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Denise-687929 said: One of the Catholic churches in my neighborhood has the tabernacle off to the side. People hardl...
(Quote) Denise-687929 said:

One of the Catholic churches in my neighborhood has the tabernacle off to the side. People hardly look to the right to acknowledge it. When the altar boys and altar girls go past it before they leave the church some kneel and make the sign of the cross and some don't. If you go to the Sunday 9:00 a.m. mass everyone is talking before the mass starts, like you were at a Country Club. In fact, before all the masses start the people are talking, but the 9:00 a.m. Sunday mass is the worst. The statues of the saints are in the back of the church. I am thinking of no longer being a member of this parish.

I have also noticed in some Catholic churches there are no statues of any saints in the main church and they may have one statue of a saint in the entrance of the basement before you enter the church hall.

This is one reason that I like Catholic church hopping. When I visit different Catholic churches I get to see the devotion by the way the church looks inside, how the priests give their sermons and what the parish activities consist of. For me, it is best that I attend the traditional Catholic churches for I see more reverence.

--hide--

That so gets up my nose. Genuflection, silience for prayer, and the Statues of the Holy Family and the Patron Saint of the parish are expectations that the modernist layity have brought in because they lack respect.

I have to say I have told some people if they want to talk and not pray could they go out in the foyer, thats what its for

Posts 61 - 70 of 84