Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

03/06/2013 new

(Quote) Emily-647155 said: OK, I can't listen to the audio, because my system is crap, but where in the world is french ...
(Quote) Emily-647155 said:

OK, I can't listen to the audio, because my system is crap, but where in the world is french kissing a mortal sin?! Like, is there a CCC site I've missed here? Or is this in the "women who wear pants are going to Hell" school of thought?

--hide--

It's not french kissing in and of itself that's sinful, it's the sexual arousal that it causes in people that is. Sexual pleasure is to be experienced only in a married relationship, so if you purposely get aroused outside of marriage, it's sinful. Have you ever seen the show "19 kids and counting"? The Duggars are not Catholic, but I like what one of the daughters said once: You don't want to "stir up desires that you can't righteously fulfill."

03/06/2013 new

(Quote) Emily-647155 said: OK, I can't listen to the audio, because my system is crap, but where in the wor...
(Quote) Emily-647155 said:

OK, I can't listen to the audio, because my system is crap, but where in the world is french kissing a mortal sin?! Like, is there a CCC site I've missed here? Or is this in the "women who wear pants are going to Hell" school of thought?

--hide--

Oh I wish you had good audio because I will fail to do him justice...he mentions that Pope Alexander VII condemned the idea that it's only a venial sin for the unmarried to kiss for the sake of the pleasure of the kiss even if there is no danger of consent to go further. St. Alphonsus said the same, that it's a mortal sin. The idea is that unmarried people don't have the right to stir up these kinds of passions because they are so closely related to the creative powers. Most unmarried people who engage in passionate kissing probably don't realize that it's grave matter and so they are probably not committing mortal sin. But if they do realize it and intentionally do so then it's mortal sin.

03/06/2013 new

And I should have read Lisa's post before I wrote this, because she already said all of this. LOL biggrin

03/07/2013 new
(Quote) Monica-730858 said: Funny that you mention Lincoln, I have a phone interview with a company there today! I'm 5...
(Quote) Monica-730858 said:

Funny that you mention Lincoln, I have a phone interview with a company there today! I'm 5 hours away right now but I've been there a couple of times. Beautiful parish, not to mention the seminary!

--hide--

Lincoln is the french kissing capitol of the usa
03/07/2013 new
Kissing is a mortal sin?

I am inclined to think that NOT kissing is a sin in Catholic dating.

Affection is needed, it just needs to be controlled before marriage laughing

If I dated someone at length and he did not think that kissing should be a part of the program, I think I would not trust that.

Very strange thinking.
03/07/2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Kissing is a mortal sin? I am inclined to think that NOT kissing is a sin ...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Kissing is a mortal sin?

Affection is needed, it just needs to be controlled before marriage

If I dated someone at length and he did not think that kissing should be a part of the program, I think I would not trust that.

Very strange thinking.
--hide--
I hope you listened to the audio.If you did,then there is no denying the truth.If you deny the truth,then you are off course following your own opinion.The truth will set you free,and save your soul.Your opininion will not.The facts.

03/07/2013 new
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Kissing is a mortal sin? I am inclined to think that NOT kissing is a sin in Catholic ...

Very strange thinking.
--hide--

right on
03/07/2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Kissing is a mortal sin? I am inclined to think that NOT kissing is a sin ...

Very strange thinking.
--hide--

How is NOT kissing a sin? What commandment does that break? scratchchin

Affection is needed, I agree. The question is, when does affection cease to be pure affection and become the means created by God to prepare the body for sex? For most people anyway, that's what passionate (french) kissing does. So at that point it's not pure affection anymore. Affection is an outward expression of your inner feelings for the other person. Sexual arousal isn't it.

03/07/2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Review of Sins Against the 6th and 9th Commandments .Aprox 20 minutes.Great Sermon. http:/...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Review of Sins Against the 6th and 9th Commandments .Aprox 20 minutes.Great Sermon.

www.audiosancto.org

--hide--

Hi, Bernie! Thanks for sharing this. In turn, I want to share this reading which I hope can enlighten further. The author's last 3 paragraphs caught my attention, as these exactly explains my own experience in Catechism. It is never ever too late to become an authentic Catholic as long as one keeps seeking the Truth....

...." One of the books that I read provided an analysis of each of the Ten Commandments and the subsequent teachings of our Lord. In the chapter that explained the 6th and 9th commandments, the topics of purity and chastity were covered in detail. There was one statement in that chapter that took me completely by surprise. It declared that for unmarried couples, passionate kissing, or what is commonly known as french kissing, is considered a mortal sin (provided the conditions for a mortal sin have been met).

The Pocket Catholic Dictionary defines a “mortal sin” as follows:

An actual sin that destroys sanctifying grace and causes the supernatural death of the soul. Mortal sin is a turning away from God because of a seriously inordinate adherence to creatures that causes grave injury to a person’s rational nature and to the social order, and deprives the sinner of a right to heaven.

According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, three conditions must be met in order for a sin to be mortal: (1) a voluntary or deliberate thought, word, or action (2) that is grievously offensive to God (3) which is carried out with full knowledge. (CCC 1857 & 1859). If a person dies while in the state of mortal sin, he or she is denied heaven and is destined to suffer eternal punishment with all of the other fallen human beings and angels.

As any 10 year old who watches television or movies knows, a passionate or french kiss occurs when two individuals engage in a kiss and their tongues touch and/or one of the individual’s tongues enters the mouth of the other individual.

Despite the fact that I attended a Catholic grade school and was raised by and surrounded by devout Catholics, I had never been told that passionate kissing prior to marriage was a mortal sin. Even after reading about it, I couldn’t believe that the Church would impose such a harsh penalty (eternal damnation) on what appeared to be a harmless activity. So I started searching for an answer as to why the Church would characterize a passionate kiss between an unmarried man and woman as being grievously offensive to God.

What I discovered was that prior to the 1960’s Catholic boys and girls were routinely taught that passionate kissing before marriage was a mortal sin; however, not only did this teaching fall out of favor with the advent of the sexual revolution in the 1960’s, it completely disappeared from catechism courses and Catholic books.

It took several years before I was able to understand the logic behind the teaching. There needs to be a clear delineation between what constitutes proper behavior for an unmarried Catholic couple. Without clear guidelines, a couple can unknowingly venture into dangerous and destructive territory. While an unmarried male and female companion are allowed to show affection for each other that includes holding hands, hugging, appropriate touching and caressing, and regular kissing, they are forbidden from engaging in any activity that can lead to sexual arousal...."

www.adoration.com

03/07/2013 new

*passionate kissing, that is. Kissing for the mere pleasure of kissing ---> passionate kissing ---> higher temptation, actions that lead to the marital act, etc. ---> not okay.

Someone, anyone...is my understanding correct that non-passionate kissing is okay? (please tell me I am correct! haha)

Posts 31 - 40 of 163