Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

What Was Your Alamo....

Mar 6th 2013 new

Today is Texas Independence Day. The fall of the heros at the Alamo. This reminds me of the personal Alamos of our lives - the challenges and decisions we have made with courage that defined us. For instance, taking action to seize opportunities or responding to challenge faced during moments of profound truth in our lives - the "defining moments." It isn't about doing what feels good, but rather the ability to do what is necessary, even when it feels awkward, unnatural, or downright awful.

What defining moments or challenges in your life (your Alamo) ultimately brought you to a better place within yourself, or brought about a change for the better of someone else?

I will start. Mine was raising 5 brothers and sisters after my mother took a powder, and then putting myself through school. Later in life, it was learning to accept gracefully and peacefully the death of my spouses, and not allowing myself to live in the dispair. Some of those battles are still being fought, but that is the essence of life.

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: Today is Texas Independence Day. The fall of the heros at the Alamo. This reminds me of the per...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

Today is Texas Independence Day. The fall of the heros at the Alamo. This reminds me of the personal Alamos of our lives - the challenges and decisions we have made with courage that defined us. For instance, taking action to seize opportunities or responding to challenge faced during moments of profound truth in our lives - the "defining moments." It isn't about doing what feels good, but rather the ability to do what is necessary, even when it feels awkward, unnatural, or downright awful.

What defining moments or challenges in your life (your Alamo) ultimately brought you to a better place within yourself, or brought about a change for the better of someone else?

I will start. Mine was raising 5 brothers and sisters after my mother took a powder, and then putting myself through school. Later in life, it was learning to accept gracefully and peacefully the death of my spouses, and not allowing myself to live in the dispair. Some of those battles are still being fought, but that is the essence of life.

--hide--

Hi Beverly! My Alamo is choosing to take care of my mother through her illness - Alzheimer's Disease - and what will be her eventual death. This may be one battle in what will ultimately become a 10-year war. As you said, some battles are still being fought, but we live through them and continue on to fight another day. It is the essence of life, and I would choose it again in an instant! Blessings for your strength and courage!! Chelle

PS Happy Texas Independence Day!

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: Today is Texas Independence Day. The fall of the heros at the Alamo. This reminds me of the per...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

--hide--
What I'll mention cannot be called grand or heroic. It just took some effort and was a strain at times. After living more than thirty years in a town with a population of about 170,000, I move to New York City to have a better chance at a social life.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: ... I move to New York ....
(Quote) John-184825 said: ... I move to New York ....
--hide--

Ah, but is it not the stuff of heroes to persist despite the thin dime chance of love even in a big city, to keep the vagabond shoes from straying towards the Greyhound bus for home?

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Roystan-340472 said: Ah, but is it not the stuff of heroes to persist despite the thin dime chance of love ...
(Quote) Roystan-340472 said:

Ah, but is it not the stuff of heroes to persist despite the thin dime chance of love even in a big city, to keep the vagabond shoes from straying towards the Greyhound bus for home?

--hide--
No but, if he rows and rows and rows until he reaches one of her lakeside chateaus and shows her rows and rows of roses, she may believe that he rose to the occasion.

Mar 7th 2013 new
(Quote) John-184825 said: What I'll mention cannot be called grand or heroic. It just took some effort and was a strain at times. Afte...
(Quote) John-184825 said:

What I'll mention cannot be called grand or heroic. It just took some effort and was a strain at times. After living more than thirty years in a town with a population of about 170,000, I move to New York City to have a better chance at a social life.

--hide--
Congratulations John. Sometimes people wish, hope and pray for a change in their life but actually doing it is the accomplishment.
Mar 7th 2013 new
(Quote) Chelle-924354 said: Hi Beverly! My Alamo is choosing to take care of my mother through her illness - Alzheimer's ...
(Quote) Chelle-924354 said:

Hi Beverly! My Alamo is choosing to take care of my mother through her illness - Alzheimer's Disease - and what will be her eventual death. This may be one battle in what will ultimately become a 10-year war. As you said, some battles are still being fought, but we live through them and continue on to fight another day. It is the essence of life, and I would choose it again in an instant! Blessings for your strength and courage!! Chelle

PS Happy Texas Independence Day!

--hide--
Chelle and Beverly, I am in awe of your accomplishments and sacrifices in your lives. I am heart happy knowing you through this site and all the others who will respond to this subject. To all the caretakers and there are many of us, put one foot in front of the other, take one day at a time and reap the blessings every day. It is with true joy that I count myself among you. God's blessings to all. Eileen
Mar 7th 2013 new

Thank you all for responding - and for your acts of courage. I think we all perform them if not everyday, more often than what we believe that we do.

Mar 7th 2013 new

[quote]Chelle-924354 said:

My Alamo is choosing to take care of my mother through her illness - Alzheimer's Disease ..."

God Bless you dear one. That is a devasting desease that takes it's toll on the care givers as well as the victim. I am praying for you.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: What I'll mention cannot be called grand or heroic. It just took some effort and was a strain ...
(Quote) John-184825 said:

--hide--

Dead on John. That was an act of courage. That would certainly take me out of my comform zone.

Posts 1 - 10 of 12