Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

fides et ratio

Mar 7th 2013 new

Not only is it a great encyclical, its a thought I often have on CM and wonder what others think. Let me start off my stating I love the idea of a catholic dating site and find this to be the best one available.

Now, when reading forums and profiles I look for a great deal of things. Faith is partially assumed but I still check because people don't always say yes to 7/7 etc..

However, I have found that sometimes its all about faith and I have no idea about the personality, social life, hobbies, etc of the person I am talking to and if I do it can be to varying degrees. It just seems sometimes once in awhile we forget that God created the physical and mental world as well and we need to match there. Basically sometimes (definately not always or even most of the time) theres a lot of comfort in the faith concepts but not always the reason. Any thoughts on this?

Mar 7th 2013 new

Very true.

I think:
a. some people think that because it's a Catholic site, you're not allowed (or at least, not expected) to talk about anything but Catholicism;
b. some people have no hobby but theology.

Look further, dude. There are loads of balanced people here...just have to look a bit harder.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Very true.I think:a. some people think that because it's a Catholic site, you'...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Very true.

I think:
a. some people think that because it's a Catholic site, you're not allowed (or at least, not expected) to talk about anything but Catholicism;
b. some people have no hobby but theology.

Look further, dude. There are loads of balanced people here...just have to look a bit harder.

--hide--

Or maybe they are talking about what is most important to them.

As Marge said: if YOU don't like what they have to say, move on -- don't tell them they are wrong because they don't conform to your expectations.

('you' being used here in the plural)

Mar 7th 2013 new

Marge. Amen. As for someone who has a degree in Theology - I'd say get more than one hobbie :)

Mar 7th 2013 new

Jerry I agree.. and not just talking about profiles nor the idea of conforming to my expectations.. I don't like or dislike what people say often when I think about this. Just thought in the light of other convo's I read the idea of Fides et Ratio might be a growing point.

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Or maybe they are talking about what is most important to them. As Marge said: if ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Or maybe they are talking about what is most important to them.

As Marge said: if YOU don't like what they have to say, move on -- don't tell them they are wrong because they don't conform to your expectations.

('you' being used here in the plural)

--hide--

Mar 7th 2013 new

I have little of a religious nature in my profile.. I feel that on a Catholic dating site religious faith should be a 'given' and I am troubled when the whole profile decribes their religious accomplishments but nothing about who they are otherwise..

Mar 7th 2013 new

Hmm well,

Well obviously faith and reason go hand in hand, faith alone runs the risk of superstition, and reason alone runs the risk (and will fall into err) of rationalism. I would assume that the people on this site, being mostly Catholic and obviously looking to meet others like them, would have reason presupposed in their faith.

So while they may not openly state their reasons for the faith and may not have more about personal life on their profile, I think it is safe to assume that they have hobbies and good reasons for their faith. I would take advantage of the mystery and send a message and use it to begin a conversation and try to explore common ground through dialogue.

Mar 7th 2013 new

I believe that many are relating in their profiles about what is most important to them. It is difficult, however, to get to know someone if the sole basis for every conversation becomes evangelical.

Mar 7th 2013 new

Agreed Sam except I also want to know why they didn't put that in their self description. I am of the belief that what you put in as well as what you leave out both describe you!

(Quote) Sam-948516 said: Hmm well, Well obviously faith and reason go hand in hand, faith alone runs the ris...
(Quote) Sam-948516 said:

Hmm well,

Well obviously faith and reason go hand in hand, faith alone runs the risk of superstition, and reason alone runs the risk (and will fall into err) of rationalism. I would assume that the people on this site, being mostly Catholic and obviously looking to meet others like them, would have reason presupposed in their faith.

So while they may not openly state their reasons for the faith and may not have more about personal life on their profile, I think it is safe to assume that they have hobbies and good reasons for their faith. I would take advantage of the mystery and send a message and use it to begin a conversation and try to explore common ground through dialogue.

--hide--

Mar 7th 2013 new

I actually enjoy theology and like to think it would be a basis for connecting with someone. So I'd like for someone to at least be open to me blabbing about some book on church history I read only because its something I have a real interest in. When I read someone's profile and see that they really enjoy thinking about their faith it naturally attracts me.

But this goes both ways if they are not theological but maybe they can teach me a thing or to about relating to and loving different kinds of people it would be a good trade off.

I guess the name of the game is just meeting different sorts of people as long as the basics are there and learn to see wht works.

Posts 1 - 10 of 17