Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Is it just me or does it seem like Catholics are becoming less common? I've joked for years that "I grew up Catholic" is the fastest growing denomination but now I think it's true. Obviously CM doesn't have every single Catholic out there but when I run the searches (which aren't all that specific) not that many hits show up. I can't remember which bishop said it, but he pointed out that the real vocation shortage that is decimating the Church is lack of marriage and consequently a new generation of devout Catholics.

So here's the question: Am I crazy or are active Catholics exceptionally rare?

Mar 8th 2013 new

There's 1.2 billion of us world wide. we're essentially the largest religion. Islam is catching up and is probably going to over take us in the next few years though.

The problem with the "oh, there's so few Catholics around, must be because we're dying out" mindset often comes from people in the West, I see/hear it a lot from Americans - and not just the ones I meet online. It seems to be a national personality trait that you're very inward looking and aren't really interested in what happens beyond your boarders unless it directly affects your national interest. I mean no insult, I'm just telling you how a lot of non-Americans view you guys.

America and other Western Nations aren't the be all and end all of Catholicism. It is from the developing nations that the faith is exploding, and in very traditional and passionate ways. It'll be their priests and nuns coming to mission to our nations soon enough, just watch.

Mar 8th 2013 new
This is not answering your question, but I love the priest who was able to see that lack of catholic marriage is the biggest vocation crisis at present. I am always correcting people who pray for an increase in vocation to the priesthood and religious life and forget marriage. I think in general we are bias towards our vocation, so just to put it out there, I think we all should remind our religious and priest friends to pray for vocations to catholic marriage. I believe cardinal Dolan has said marriage is the vocation in the most crisis, that is why I am praying for him to be our next Pope:-)
Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-874492 said: Is it just me or does it seem like Catholics are becoming less common? I've joked for years...
(Quote) Michael-874492 said:

Is it just me or does it seem like Catholics are becoming less common? I've joked for years that "I grew up Catholic" is the fastest growing denomination but now I think it's true. Obviously CM doesn't have every single Catholic out there but when I run the searches (which aren't all that specific) not that many hits show up. I can't remember which bishop said it, but he pointed out that the real vocation shortage that is decimating the Church is lack of marriage and consequently a new generation of devout Catholics.

So here's the question: Am I crazy or are active Catholics exceptionally rare?

--hide--

Hi Michael! Older person lurking in the younger person's forum.... I heard something quite awhile back that I thought of when I read your post. It was something to the effect that there are many people who consider themselves Catholic, it's just that a vast majority of them no longer practice the religion. The closest I've come to a devout Catholic in many, many years is my mother's 19 year old caregiver - and, of course, a number of people on this website. Chelle

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelle-924354 said: Older person lurking in the younger person's forum....
(Quote) Chelle-924354 said:

Older person lurking in the younger person's forum....

--hide--

Chelle... Chelle... Chelle...

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Chelle... Chelle... Chelle...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

--hide--

Busted!! eyepopping

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Chelle... Chelle... Chelle...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

--hide--
Jerry.....Jerry.....Jerry...... laughing

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelle-924354 said: Hi Michael! Older person lurking in the younger person's forum.... I heard something...
(Quote) Chelle-924354 said:

Hi Michael! Older person lurking in the younger person's forum.... I heard something quite awhile back that I thought of when I read your post. It was something to the effect that there are many people who consider themselves Catholic, it's just that a vast majority of them no longer practice the religion. The closest I've come to a devout Catholic in many, many years is my mother's 19 year old caregiver - and, of course, a number of people on this website. Chelle

--hide--
Chelle -- you can get by with this because from your profile photo, you look younger than 45. (Does that count, Jerry????)

You bring up a point that involves the Year of Faith. It's a year of evangelization -- not necessarily to convert people to Catholicism, but to bring back the non-practicing Catholics. As we talk with people who no longer practice their Catholic Faith, we discover the reasons they have drifted away. Some have a degree of legitimacy; others use some lame excuse about the Church as a reason to stay away. Some are just spiritually lazy. A good number of people stay away because of some isolated incident that occured to them in the past. It may have been a complete misunderstanding that could easily be resolved. Other situations involve what was perceived as harsh treatment from a pastor. Many were not educated sufficiently in the Faith to understand what it's al about, especially the Mass and Eucharist.

This is where we can reach out to our drop-out brothers and sisters in an effort to being back the "lost sheep". It's not necessary to preach, but to suggest they come back to a Church event, and to Mass to see what has transpired in the Church while they were gone. Instead of being chastized for staying away, these people are welcomed with warmth and open arms. And sometimes all it takes is a personal invitation from a practicing Catholic.

Mar 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: It is from the developing nations that the faith is exploding, and in very traditional and passionate ways. It&...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

It is from the developing nations that the faith is exploding, and in very traditional and passionate ways. It'll be their priests and nuns coming to mission to our nations soon enough, just watch.

--hide--
Well said, Naomi. And it's already happening. In the Diocese of Maine, we've already had at least two missionary priests from India. Given the large number of non-practicing Catholics here, the missionary priests are most welcome.
Mar 9th 2013 new

There's a really good response to this - I don't think we are endangered at all. I think there is a lot of misrepresentation out there, and while I think many people have fallen away, there are still people drawn to the Catholic Church.

Here's a really good article on it: cvcomment.org

Posts 1 - 10 of 23