Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

At the parish council meeting the other night I learned that our Priest feels strongly that sports on Sunday should be banned. As such, he is working toward banning sports on Sunday in our diocese. For many reasons, I do not agree. Curious to know how other parents might feel about sports on Sunday.
Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Cherie-117432 said: At the parish council meeting the other night I learned that our Priest feels strongly that sports on S...
(Quote) Cherie-117432 said: At the parish council meeting the other night I learned that our Priest feels strongly that sports on Sunday should be banned. As such, he is working toward banning sports on Sunday in our diocese. For many reasons, I do not agree. Curious to know how other parents might feel about sports on Sunday.
--hide--

My children have had to take part in training or competitions on Sundays.These tend to occur when they get involved in club activities regardless of their age groups.Schools here have training and competitions during the week and sometimes Saturdays.

It's important for families to stress the importance of the Sabbath and try your best to include activities.Church is a must and we are fortunate as Catholics to be able to go to all the Catholic churches anywhere in the world at different times, so I always preached, that you have no excuse to miss Mass.Youth groups activities often take place on Sundays and I encouraged them to attend.Sometimes they would go from sport to Church activity or vice versa on the same day.It worked out.The parents play an important role in carrying on our faith.

theheart pope

Mar 9th 2013 new

Harsh!! I have so many fond memories of friends and grandparents filling the bleachers for a Sunday afternoon game.

Mar 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: Harsh!! I have so many fond memories of friends and grandparents filling the bleachers for a Sunday afternoon ga...
(Quote) Lisa-572677 said:

Harsh!! I have so many fond memories of friends and grandparents filling the bleachers for a Sunday afternoon game.

--hide--

I have a problem with keeping families so busy with sports on the weekend that they can't attend church services. Perhaps that is why this ban has been proposed????
Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I have a problem with keeping families so busy with sports on the weekend that they can't at...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

I have a problem with keeping families so busy with sports on the weekend that they can't attend church services. Perhaps that is why this ban has been proposed????
--hide--

??? Brenda, you've lost me on this one. CYO sports and Mass are not mutually exclusive. On the contrary, it was more common to see kids attend Mass as a team. My younger son played football at his Catholic high school. Game days consisted of school, team Mass, team dinner, then game. Games ended with the team kneeling on the field and inviting the other team to join them in prayer.

Of course, I am in agreement that Mass attendance is a requirement! Just pointing out that the sports experience can enhance the Mass and prayer experience!

Mar 9th 2013 new

I took my children out of soccer, swimming and basketball at our Catholic school because, especially because I had more than a couple kids in the sports, every Sunday was taken up with games and competitions and never left any time for quiet family time just ourselves resting at home. Yes, it was fun to compete and see all the other parents, families, kids, etc and spend hours together watching, talking, etc, but it was
1. hard work to prepare a large family for a day away from home, remembering all changes of clothing, snacks, toys for the kids to keep them occupied, making diaper changes out in the heat/cold/rain/cramped bathrooms/bleachers, etc and figuring out how to nap the littlest ones.
2. exhausting -- it made the weekend so busy and full and never left time for recovering from the last week -- it made me wish for an 'extra day' between Sunday and Monday just to rest -- um, like Sundays are supposed to be!!!
3. it was expensive too, if you 'supported your team' by buying the water, sports drinks, snacks, meals, at each competition -- and more than that, it made those running the food booths have to work and be frazzled on Sunday.

I would support changing sports to Saturdays and letting Sundays be once again a quiet, restful day set aside for worship, rather than competitions against others -- and wow, do those supposedly Christian teams get competitive and taught to play even unfairly and to 'win at any cost' which wasanother reason I didn't love the Catholic schools' sports -- the regular public sports teams I changed to competed on Saturdays and were more about learning the game and not so cut-throat!

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Cherie-117432 said: At the parish council meeting the other night I learned that our Priest feels strongly that sports on S...
(Quote) Cherie-117432 said: At the parish council meeting the other night I learned that our Priest feels strongly that sports on Sunday should be banned. As such, he is working toward banning sports on Sunday in our diocese. For many reasons, I do not agree. Curious to know how other parents might feel about sports on Sunday.
--hide--
Your parish priests recognize that sports and sporting events seem to trump Mass attendance. Because of the culture of our times and living in a diverse culture, sporting events are common on Sundays, as are other youth activities. Even when a popular professional sports team is playing an afternoon game, many people are in a rush to get out of Church.

It's not the sports on Sunday that's necessarily problematic -- it's the over-importance attributed. It would be better to schedule games on Saturdays but this doesn't always work well either.

Instead of a negative approach which is bound to cause rebellion among certain parishioners, the priests need to get back to basics and emphasize the importance of attending Mass. There are times when outside events produce some degree of legitimacy as far as some people needing to get out of Mass as soon as possible, even though there could be an element of disrespect. I would leave that up to a person's conscience. But....to see this on a regular weekly basis isn't contributing to spiritual growth.

As Catholics, we have an obligation to attend Mass. We are fortunate to be able to do this on Sundays AND Saturday early evenings. Any activity should be planned around attending Mass. Ideally it's to show the proper reverence to our Good Lord instead of trying to see how we can squeeze in Mass attendance into a busy schedule. With few exceptions, it's an easy thing to do.

An outright ban would most likely be ignored by many. In this we see two Commandments being neglected:

1. Thou shalt not have strange gods before thee. This is where the over emphasis on sports has crept in.

3. Remember: thou shalt keep holy the Lord's day.

The priests may have the right ideas in mind, but need a better approach to solve the problem.

I recall a major league baseball player who refused to play games on the Sabbath. He was Jewish. How are we practicing our Faith on the Sabbath?

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: ??? Brenda, you've lost me on this one. CYO sports and Mass are not mutually exclusive. On the...

??? Brenda, you've lost me on this one. CYO sports and Mass are not mutually exclusive. On the contrary, it was more common to see kids attend Mass as a team. My younger son played football at his Catholic high school. Game days consisted of school, team Mass, team dinner, then game. Games ended with the team kneeling on the field and inviting the other team to join them in prayer.

Of course, I am in agreement that Mass attendance is a requirement! Just pointing out that the sports experience can enhance the Mass and prayer experience!

--hide--

What do you think most of those kids were focused on during Mass: Mass or the upcoming game?

Sporting events can be scheduled on Saturday. Sunday is for the Lord and families.

Mar 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: ??? Brenda, you've lost me on this one. CYO sports and Mass are not mutuall...

--hide--

Not in my experience in my area, they are mutually exclusive. Families need time for building their faith together not sports. There are six other days in the week for little league activities.
Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Not in my experience in my area, they are mutually exclusive. Families need time for building th...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

Not in my experience in my area, they are mutually exclusive. Families need time for building their faith together not sports. There are six other days in the week for little league activities.
--hide--

Brenda, I am so sorry to hear this. That's wrong! You are right about Little League, though. I don't believe we played or practiced on Sundays!

Posts 1 - 10 of 36