Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Daylight Savings Time

Mar 9th 2013 new

During the 1970s, the energy crisis came to the forefront and some states voted to add Daylight Savings Time to conserve energy. Most of the continental U. S. has since adopted this law except for some areas in Indiana and a very small segment of Arizona. There may be others for which I am not aware.

My personal opinion is that we should keep Daylight Savings Time all year. In my area especially during the winter months, I would prefer the darkness to set in around 7 in the evening instead of before 6. Businesses that deal in tourism prefer to keep it all year, farmers may or may not like it and that one hour change this weekend can change some people's behavioral patterns and moods for a few days.

Do you feel we should keep the twice a year change in clocks, keep Daylight Savings Time all year or drop it all together?

Please give responses yea or nea and your reasons for doing so. Thank you.

Blessings always, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Mar 9th 2013 new

As daylight savings time always takes me by surprise, I would prefer that we didn't change clocks at all. faint

It seems a little silly. I like having it light when I get up at 6am, so I'd rahter we didn't. Besides, if we had "daylight savings always" and never turned back to "real" time, wouldn't it be a farce and a lie? scratchchin

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: During the 1970s, the energy crisis came to the forefront and some states voted to add Daylight Sa...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

During the 1970s, the energy crisis came to the forefront and some states voted to add Daylight Savings Time to conserve energy. Most of the continental U. S. has since adopted this law except for some areas in Indiana and a very small segment of Arizona. There may be others for which I am not aware.

My personal opinion is that we should keep Daylight Savings Time all year. In my area especially during the winter months, I would prefer the darkness to set in around 7 in the evening instead of before 6. Businesses that deal in tourism prefer to keep it all year, farmers may or may not like it and that one hour change this weekend can change some people's behavioral patterns and moods for a few days.

Do you feel we should keep the twice a year change in clocks, keep Daylight Savings Time all year or drop it all together?

Blessings always,

Leon

--hide--

Interestingly, this country had already done that once, during the Second World War: www.webexhibits.org

Someone could correct me on this but I thought that safety was an issue here. Specifically, children in rural areas were getting on school buses early in the morning while there was still total darkness outside. (That's an issue because of having children standing alone at a bus stop and facing the danger of a motorist who couldn't see them or one that could and had evil designs.)

If they moved the clocks back for no other reason than that, then that would be reason enough for me.

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: During the 1970s, the energy crisis came to th...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Blessings always,

Leon

Interestingly, this country had already done that once, during the Second World War: www.webexhibits.org

Someone could correct me on this but I thought that safety was an issue here. Specifically, children in rural areas were getting on school buses early in the morning while there was still total darkness outside. (That's an issue because of having children standing alone at a bus stop and facing the danger of a motorist who couldn't see them or one that could and had evil designs.)

If they moved the clocks back for no other reason than that, then that would be reason enough for me.

--hide--

William,

I appreciate your comments and they are very relevant regarding safety issues. That should always be first and foremost. However, I live in a large city and metropolis (Houston). The far majority of accidents involving children either walking to and from school or involved in school bus accidents occur during the daylight hours. The same holds true for rural areas. Same thing with vehicle accidents. In general, people in this city operate their vehicles too fast and do not drive defensively whether conditions are perfect or the weather inclement. That does not even include those involved in accidents who were guilty of texting on their phones, women putting on their makeup while driving and so many other things.

Thank you for a wonderful post.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Mar 9th 2013 new

I am for DST. I have noticed that all the talking heads in the media are calling it "Daylight Saving Time" (singular not plural).

If I am not mistaken, I thought that time frame from "falling back" to "springing forward" was shortened under the G.W. Bush (43) administration.

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: William,I appreciate your comments and they are very relevant regarding safety iss...

William,

I appreciate your comments and they are very relevant regarding safety issues. That should always be first and foremost. However, I live in a large city and metropolis (Houston). The far majority of accidents involving children either walking to and from school or involved in school bus accidents occur during the daylight hours. The same holds true for rural areas. Same thing with vehicle accidents. In general, people in this city operate their vehicles too fast and do not drive defensively whether conditions are perfect or the weather inclement. That does not even include those involved in accidents who were guilty of texting on their phones, women putting on their makeup while driving and so many other things.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--

Leon,

These accidents are occurring in daylight hours because the children aren't going to school in the dark. Without falling back an hour in the fall, the children would be going to school in the dark and facing a higher risk of the same accidents you are referring to. (We would still have accidents, just more of them.)

As far as driving behavior, that could be a thread in and of itself; this country is probably the only western country that has such lax standards to obtain a driver's license. If we were held to the same standards of any other developed country, I think it's a safe bet that 20 or 30 percent of us would have to turn over the keys.

Unfortunately, for several reasons (not the least being the size of this country), we don't have the public transportation infrastructure that European countries have. While a car in Western Europe is a nice thing to have, in this country it is a must. If our government were to tighten our driving requirements to match theirs, people wouldn't be able to get to work and pay taxes and buy things and go to football games and take Catholic Match members out on dates. Hence, the lower driving standards, and hence, the less capable the person behind the wheel, and hence, the greater chance that a child is going to get run over on the way to school, whether in the dark or in broad daylight.

Will

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: During the 1970s, the energy crisis came to the forefront and some states voted to add Daylight S...

Blessings always,

Leon

--hide--

All of Indiana has been on Daylight Savings time for several years.. Some counties are on Eastern and some on Central Time though..

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: During the 1970s, the energy crisis came to the f...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Blessings always,

Leon

All of Indiana has been on Daylight Savings time for several years.. Some counties are on Eastern and some on Central Time though..

--hide--

Donna,

Thank you for correcting my error. Greatly appreciated.

What is the rationale for a state no larger than Indiana, would they have two different time zones?

In Texas, I have never found a reason why the majority of the state is in the Central Time Zone and in far west Texas, ie. El Paso and Hudspeth counties, they are in the Mountain Time Zone. Go figure.

Blessings always, Praying hug rose

Leon

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: William,I appreciate your comm...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

William,

Blessings,

Leon

Leon,

These accidents are occurring in daylight hours because the children aren't going to school in the dark. Without falling back an hour in the fall, the children would be going to school in the dark and facing a higher risk of the same accidents you are referring to. (We would still have accidents, just more of them.)

As far as driving behavior, that could be a thread in and of itself; this country is probably the only western country that has such lax standards to obtain a driver's license. If we were held to the same standards of any other developed country, I think it's a safe bet that 20 or 30 percent of us would have to turn over the keys.

Unfortunately, for several reasons (not the least being the size of this country), we don't have the public transportation infrastructure that European countries have. While a car in Western Europe is a nice thing to have, in this country it is a must. If our government were to tighten our driving requirements to match theirs, people wouldn't be able to get to work and pay taxes and buy things and go to football games and take Catholic Match members out on dates. Hence, the lower driving standards, and hence, the less capable the person behind the wheel, and hence, the greater chance that a child is going to get run over on the way to school, whether in the dark or in broad daylight.

Will

--hide--

William,

In our area, school children do travel to school in the dark especially in the fall. I have travelled to my daughter's to take care of an ill grandchild and I have stopped behind school buses shortly after 6 in the morning picking up students. I guess it depends on the area you live. Houston by far is not a public transportation city. It is too spread out and would be cost prohibitive to build such a system. There is no way for me to get to my daughter's home except by personal transportation.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Donna,Thank you for correcting my error. Greatly appreciated. What is the ...

Donna,

Thank you for correcting my error. Greatly appreciated.

What is the rationale for a state no larger than Indiana, would they have two different time zones?

In Texas, I have never found a reason why the majority of the state is in the Central Time Zone and in far west Texas, ie. El Paso and Hudspeth counties, they are in the Mountain Time Zone. Go figure.

Blessings always,

Leon

--hide--

The northwestern corner depends on all it's TV etc from Chicago so I figure that's why they are, why the southwestern counties decided to go that way is a mystery..There was a bill introduced this week to put us all on Central.. I would rather stay on Eastern. They need to leave well enough alone now. I always thought the reason for Daylight Savings was to give the farmers more daylight hours..

Posts 1 - 10 of 16