Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I just can't take the negative comments going on in some threads about various cardinals/curia.

So, for a change of pace, here is the link to a "happy" song on Youtube (to the tune of YMCA) about electing Cardinal Tagle of the Phillipines (the second youngest Cardinal) as Pope. Enjoy!!! biggrin

www.youtube.com

Mar 11th 2013 new

Patricia,

That was an enjoyable video. At age 55, Cardinal Tagle is only 3 years younger than JPII when he was elected (at 58). He seems like a very kind and personable man.

Certain people in the church have certainly brought great scandal upon it, so I am not diminishing that at all. But, I do agree with you that the negative comments are getting very tiresome. The secular media really relishes any sort of perceived scandal and they also try to report this as just a big purely-political election.... to the extent that I think they really do a dis-service in reporting this important event. They could do much more to really inform the general public of what is happening (in electing a new pope) and why it matters to the world, if they would spend less time acting like tabloid news shows and news papers.

I also tire of the polls (of Catholics, even though many may not have seen the inside of a church in the past year/s) that attempt to show that Catholics want a more modernized and liberal church (on things like abortion, so-called gay marriage, women priests, contraception, etc.). Do these "Catholics" even understand that the church cannot just "change its' mind" on these issues? Perhaps if they are so dissatisfied with the teachings of the Catholic Church, the should stop calling themselves "Catholic" and find some other church to join.

By contrast, EWTN has had a lot of really informative and positive programming on the election. "The World Over", "Life On the Rock", other shows, and some special programs have been very interesting. There was a really interesting show this evening about papal elections from the time of Peter to present day, how/why the various conclave rules developed over the centuries, which rules were implemented to eventually eliminate the influence outside leaders and families, rules implemented to put the Cardinals on reduced food rations and eventually bread & water if the voting went on too long, etc.

Incidentally, I just happened to be flipping through the stations on my radio this morning and found a very interesting program from a Lutheran minister. He was discussing sola scriptura, apostolic succession and the claims of authority of the Catholic Church and the pope. Of course, he did not see it the same as the Catholic Church, but he did a rather good job of explaining the differences... and he did it in a respectful manner. This is one program that I'm sure was prompted by all of the coverage of the election of this next pope. I was left thinking that his program may well encourage some Lutherans to do some digging into the origins and claims of the Catholic Church.

What is sola scriptura? >>> en.wikipedia.org

Another thought >>> I think that the fact that Pope Benadict resigned (rather than died) has provided an interesting opportunity with regards to the media. If the Pope had died, the media would be using much of the air time covering the funeral activities. Since he resigned, there is a lot more air time to fill with other (hopefully informative) news stories about the Catholic Church. This could be a good thing and an opportunity for Catholics.

This election has also made for some interesting discussions with some of my non-Catholic friends... even an athiest/agnostic friend.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I just can't take the negative comments going on in some threads about various cardinals/cu...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I just can't take the negative comments going on in some threads about various cardinals/curia.

So, for a change of pace, here is the link to a "happy" song on Youtube (to the tune of YMCA) about electing Cardinal Tagle of the Phillipines (the second youngest Cardinal) as Pope. Enjoy!!!

www.youtube.com

--hide--

Thanks, Patricia. I saw something on TV recently about C. Tagle...very impressive. I hope if he gets elected he is a conservative Pope. It would be a great honor for all the brave, strong Catholics of the Philippines.

BTW, why is the MSM so obsessed with the election of the Pope? They are certainly no friends to Christians, especially Catholics.

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-54311 said: Thanks, Patricia. I saw something on TV recently about C. Tagle...very impressive. I hope if...
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

Thanks, Patricia. I saw something on TV recently about C. Tagle...very impressive. I hope if he gets elected he is a conservative Pope. It would be a great honor for all the brave, strong Catholics of the Philippines.

BTW, why is the MSM so obsessed with the election of the Pope? They are certainly no friends to Christians, especially Catholics.

--hide--

You're welcome. I have watched this video 3 or 4 times now. It doesn't fail to bring a smile to my face (and I've now started singing along!)

What does MSM stand for? I'm starting to get lost in some of the abbreviations being used in a few of the threads.

And, I agree with you about Cardinal Tagle. He is a long shot (but I looked at the odds yesterday and he is not very far down the list - about the same odds as the American Cardinals). And, he is young - 55 and if he's like any of the Filipinos I know in Chicago, probably one of the most devout men on the planet. No matter what Catholic event I go to whether it is a very orthodox Mass or a Charismatic retreat, these Filipino ladies (mostly), but also men are invariably in the front rows before I get there and there after I leave and know every prayer/hymn/etc. I've gone on pilgrimages where half the bus is composed of Filipinos. And, Chicago does not have a particularly large concentration of Filipinos (compared to some other ethnic groups). If they are all praying for Cardinal Tagle, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is elected Cardinal as I do think they flood heaven with prayers! There is the story of one priest who is now one of the "Divine Mercy" priests who wasn't even Catholic, but happened to go into a Catholic Church and got surrounded by a group of Filipino women who started praying for him which led to him becoming Catholic which led him to becoming a priest (one of them had said to him that he should become a priest when he wasn't even a Catholic). The power of prayer is tremendous!!!Praise God!

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Patricia, That was an enjoyable video. At age 55, Cardinal Tagle is only 3 years younger t...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Patricia,

That was an enjoyable video. At age 55, Cardinal Tagle is only 3 years younger than JPII when he was elected (at 58). He seems like a very kind and personable man.

Certain people in the church have certainly brought great scandal upon it, so I am not diminishing that at all. But, I do agree with you that the negative comments are getting very tiresome. The secular media really relishes any sort of perceived scandal and they also try to report this as just a big purely-political election.... to the extent that I think they really do a dis-service in reporting this important event. They could do much more to really inform the general public of what is happening (in electing a new pope) and why it matters to the world, if they would spend less time acting like tabloid news shows and news papers.

I also tire of the polls (of Catholics, even though many may not have seen the inside of a church in the past year/s) that attempt to show that Catholics want a more modernized and liberal church (on things like abortion, so-called gay marriage, women priests, contraception, etc.). Do these "Catholics" even understand that the church cannot just "change its' mind" on these issues? Perhaps if they are so dissatisfied with the teachings of the Catholic Church, the should stop calling themselves "Catholic" and find some other church to join.

By contrast, EWTN has had a lot of really informative and positive programming on the election. "The World Over", "Life On the Rock", other shows, and some special programs have been very interesting. There was a really interesting show this evening about papal elections from the time of Peter to present day, how/why the various conclave rules developed over the centuries, which rules were implemented to eventually eliminate the influence outside leaders and families, rules implemented to put the Cardinals on reduced food rations and eventually bread & water if the voting went on too long, etc.

Incidentally, I just happened to be flipping through the stations on my radio this morning and found a very interesting program from a Lutheran minister. He was discussing sola scriptura, apostolic succession and the claims of authority of the Catholic Church and the pope. Of course, he did not see it the same as the Catholic Church, but he did a rather good job of explaining the differences... and he did it in a respectful manner. This is one program that I'm sure was prompted by all of the coverage of the election of this next pope. I was left thinking that his program may well encourage some Lutherans to do some digging into the origins and claims of the Catholic Church.

What is sola scriptura? >>> en.wikipedia.org

Another thought >>> I think that the fact that Pope Benadict resigned (rather than died) has provided an interesting opportunity with regards to the media. If the Pope had died, the media would be using much of the air time covering the funeral activities. Since he resigned, there is a lot more air time to fill with other (hopefully informative) news stories about the Catholic Church. This could be a good thing and an opportunity for Catholics.

This election has also made for some interesting discussions with some of my non-Catholic friends... even an athiest/agnostic friend.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

--hide--

Hi Ed, glad you enjoyed the video! I wish there was a video similar to this about each of the Cardinals - wouldn't that be positive, informative, and entertaining! I think Cardinal Tagle is a very viable contender for Pope and with all those Filipinos praying for him, I think he has an advantage!

I totally agree with you about EWTN and I have been watching Raymond Arroyo's coverage and Cathleen Carroll Campbells show for another perspective. I suspect I will have it on non-stop when I am at home starting tomorrow. And, I do think this is am amazing chance to evangelize other religions, particularly those that are very close to us such as the Lutherans and Anglicans.

My father actually had come from a devout Lutheran family (up in the north woods of Wisconsin), but from the time he married my mother (from a devout Polish Catholic family here in Chicago), he went to Catholic Mass with her, sent me to Catholic school, donated money to help build a new Catholic Church, would drive me to Confession every 2 weeks (even though my mother knew how to drive and had her own car), and is now buried in a Catholic cemetery next to my mom (even though he never officially converted and so was unable to receive Communion). That said, he was the most Catholic/Christian loving, giving, generous man who truly lived a Christian lifestlye doing everything for everybody including visiting the sick, burying the dead (paid for more funerals of relatives than I can count), brought food to the hungry (that my mom cooked), gave money to the poor (so his manufacturing company never had a union, because all anyone had to do if they needed something was to ask my dad), and never had an enemy that I knew of because he was always smiling and positive and giving something to somebody. Because of this he did not die a rich man - he had given virtually everything away other than their house - but he did die a happy man (and I believe this is because he truly did live the life Christ wanted us to live). What an amazing example he (and my mom) set for me. Thanks be to God! And, he did this as a Lutheran living a Catholic Christian life! It would be wonderful if some of these Protestants who are disaffected with the increasing progressive liberalization of their churches would come join us in our Catholic Churches as I think they would find themselves at home and I, for one, would certainly welcome them!

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: You're welcome. I have watched this video 3 or 4 times now. It doesn'...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

You're welcome. I have watched this video 3 or 4 times now. It doesn't fail to bring a smile to my face (and I've now started singing along!)

What does MSM stand for? I'm starting to get lost in some of the abbreviations being used in a few of the threads.

And, I agree with you about Cardinal Tagle. He is a long shot (but I looked at the odds yesterday and he is not very far down the list - about the same odds as the American Cardinals). And, he is young - 55 and if he's like any of the Filipinos I know in Chicago, probably one of the most devout men on the planet. No matter what Catholic event I go to whether it is a very orthodox Mass or a Charismatic retreat, these Filipino ladies (mostly), but also men are invariably in the front rows before I get there and there after I leave and know every prayer/hymn/etc. I've gone on pilgrimages where half the bus is composed of Filipinos. And, Chicago does not have a particularly large concentration of Filipinos (compared to some other ethnic groups). If they are all praying for Cardinal Tagle, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is elected Cardinal as I do think they flood heaven with prayers! There is the story of one priest who is now one of the "Divine Mercy" priests who wasn't even Catholic, but happened to go into a Catholic Church and got surrounded by a group of Filipino women who started praying for him which led to him becoming Catholic which led him to becoming a priest (one of them had said to him that he should become a priest when he wasn't even a Catholic). The power of prayer is tremendous!!!Praise God!

--hide--

MSM is Main Stream Media. The current Occupier of the White House could not have been elected dog catcher without them.

Yes, we need to pray for a strong, conservative Pope.

Mar 11th 2013 new

I was listening to EWTN "The World Over" program (I believe) this weekend.

They were going through a list of about 16-18 cardinals that are believed to be under serious consideration for the election. I believe that Raymond Aroyo was discussing this with a bishop guest. All of the candidates had varied backgrounds, skill, credentials, styles and personalities.... But the one thing that the bishop said that they all had in common is that they were all very orthodox in their teaching and actions.

Ed

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I was listening to EWTN "The World Over" program (I believe) this weekend. They ...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I was listening to EWTN "The World Over" program (I believe) this weekend.

They were going through a list of about 16-18 cardinals that are believed to be under serious consideration for the election. I believe that Raymond Aroyo was discussing this with a bishop guest. All of the candidates had varied backgrounds, skill, credentials, styles and personalities.... But the one thing that the bishop said that they all had in common is that they were all very orthodox in their teaching and actions.

Ed

--hide--

I sure hope so, Ed.

Mar 11th 2013 new

Cardinal Tagle is internet pick for Pope according to this France International News article.

www.france24.com

Mar 11th 2013 new

Thank you Patricia for sharing

Posts 1 - 10 of 19