Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I am in Illinois, and we are one house of representatives vote away from gay marriage.

I went through the adoption of civil unions two years ago, and thought then, I need to move, but then thought that would be it, that an equivalent structure would be enough to satisfy the liberal left, but it wasn't.

I am really despairing here that I can't live anymore in a state where such things are accepted (and paid for with my tax money), and I have to be part of a court system that works on these issues as well.

There is also the issue of the two cases before the Supreme Court; if those cases go the "wrong" way, perhaps there will be no "safe" place in America on the issue.

I am seriously considering moving, but I really don't know where might be "safe" from this issue.

I have wanted to move to AZ but now I see that is not even a good bet.

I am thinking that a state where there has been a long standing constitutional amendment defining marriage as one man one woman....I know which those are, but are you even safe there?

What does everyone think? Is there anywhere one can go where you can be safe from this issue?

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I am in Illinois, and we are one house of representatives vote away from gay marriage. I went ...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I am in Illinois, and we are one house of representatives vote away from gay marriage.

I went through the adoption of civil unions two years ago, and thought then, I need to move, but then thought that would be it, that an equivalent structure would be enough to satisfy the liberal left, but it wasn't.

I am really despairing here that I can't live anymore in a state where such things are accepted (and paid for with my tax money), and I have to be part of a court system that works on these issues as well.

There is also the issue of the two cases before the Supreme Court; if those cases go the "wrong" way, perhaps there will be no "safe" place in America on the issue.

I am seriously considering moving, but I really don't know where might be "safe" from this issue.

I am thinking that a state where there has been a long standing constitutional amendment defining marriage as one man one woman....I know which those are, but are you even safe there?

What does everyone think? Is there anywhere one can go where you can be safe from this issue?

--hide--

Indiana does not recognize Gay Marriage
en.wikipedia.org

Mar 11th 2013 new

Virtually every state south of the Mason Dixon line has a constitutional provision recognizing marriage as between only members of the opposite sex. That said - Arkansas is probably way to liberal a state for you - I worked at a law firm in downtown Little Rock for a year and I can't say more about that in this public forum. But in the states fartherest Southeast and Southwest, ending with the border of Texas, but including Oklahoma, probably a safe bet so far as the gay marriage question is concerned.

Mar 11th 2013 new

Elizabeth, isn't that by statute? We have a statute in IL too, but that can be changed at the whimsy of the legislature, as may well happen any day now.

I think a constitutional amendment to a state constitution is greater protection, as that would need a referendum or more to change.

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I am in Illinois, and we are one house of representatives vote away from gay marriage. I went ...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

--hide--
I was a circulator in my parish gathering signatures to put the 'gay marriage' amendment on the ballot in Maryland. I wasn't the only one naive enough to think it would be defeated. Gays are eveywhere. In southern states they just blend in better. Can't shoot 'em, it's illegal. Don't have an answer.

Mar 11th 2013 new

I am well aware of the societal issue, but I am thinking that a place with a constitutioinal amendment long ago, before things got so crazy would be the best bet.

Statutes can be repealed on the caprise of the liberal elected legislature. My own representative in the Illinois House is a lesbian, so she won't be paying alot of attention to how I tell her to vote!

This is such a sad state of affairs...we are a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah, and our just punishment is coming....

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

--hide--

Very sad turn of events when we have to consider moving to protect ourselves and our families. What is the world coming to? sad

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: Very sad turn of events when we have to consider moving to protect ourselves and our fam...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

Very sad turn of events when we have to consider moving to protect ourselves and our families. What is the world coming to?

--hide--

The really sad part is that there is no where in the US one can go to escape this idiocy.

Article IV, Section 1 of the Constitution states; "Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records and Judicial Proceedings of every other State.

That means that if State A has a law approving "Gay Marriages," every other state must recognize the validity of the "marriage" of a Gay Couple "married" in State A.

So if Jerry and Jeff were legally "married" in the State of Washington (yes, it is legal here) and then move to Nebraska, Nebraska must recognize their marriage as valid and give them all the benefits that Nebraska law gives married couples.

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: The really sad part is that there is no where in the US one can go to escape this idiocy....
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

The really sad part is that there is no where in the US one can go to escape this idiocy.

Article IV, Section 1 of the Constitution states; "Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records and Judicial Proceedings of every other State.

That means that if State A has a law approving "Gay Marriages," every other state must recognize the validity of the "marriage" of a Gay Couple "married" in State A.

So if Jerry and Jeff were legally "married" in the State of Washington (yes, it is legal here) and then move to Nebraska, Nebraska must recognize their marriage as valid and give them all the benefits that Nebraska law gives married couples.

--hide--

I meant to add to the above that because of the Constitutional requirement the battle against this idiocy has already been effectively lost.

At this time, the only hope to stem the tide is the unlikelyhood that the Supreme Court will rule against "Gay Marriage" when they render their opinion, probably by June.

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

--hide--

The American establishment has adopted homosexuality as one of its pet peversions and now sees fit to convert the proletarians. I don't know where you could go in the US to avoid all this.

Posts 1 - 10 of 200