Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: The really sad part is that there is no where in the US one can go to escape this idiocy....
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

The really sad part is that there is no where in the US one can go to escape this idiocy.

Article IV, Section 1 of the Constitution states; "Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records and Judicial Proceedings of every other State.

That means that if State A has a law approving "Gay Marriages," every other state must recognize the validity of the "marriage" of a Gay Couple "married" in State A.

So if Jerry and Jeff were legally "married" in the State of Washington (yes, it is legal here) and then move to Nebraska, Nebraska must recognize their marriage as valid and give them all the benefits that Nebraska law gives married couples.

--hide--

I don't think that's quite true, Paul. If it were, a handgun or concealed carry license issued in one state would be good in every state. There is a certain amount of wiggle room. Now if Nebraska recognized "gay marriage" on its own, then the "marriage" contracted in WA would be valid in NE as well.

There have been a number of states that already had "gay marriage" imposed by judicial fiat, but those "marriages" are not universally recognized in every state.

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Paul, if I am not mistaken, when they file their Federal tax returns like the 1040, th...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Paul, if I am not mistaken, when they file their Federal tax returns like the 1040, they cannot file as a married couple or
joint. They are able to file joint in the states that accept gay marriage though.

I heard some people talking about this problem on the news. This may now mean that the Federal Government could
change the tax filing criteria, or maybe not.

--hide--

For the time being that won't happen. If, as I suspect, the Supreme Court rules in favor of this mocking idiocy, the rules will have to change. I suspect it will happen despite the fact that Catholics are a majority on the Court.

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I am in Illinois, and we are one house of representatives vote away from gay marriage. I went ...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I am in Illinois, and we are one house of representatives vote away from gay marriage.

I went through the adoption of civil unions two years ago, and thought then, I need to move, but then thought that would be it, that an equivalent structure would be enough to satisfy the liberal left, but it wasn't.

I am really despairing here that I can't live anymore in a state where such things are accepted (and paid for with my tax money), and I have to be part of a court system that works on these issues as well.

There is also the issue of the two cases before the Supreme Court; if those cases go the "wrong" way, perhaps there will be no "safe" place in America on the issue.

I am seriously considering moving, but I really don't know where might be "safe" from this issue.

I have wanted to move to AZ but now I see that is not even a good bet.

I am thinking that a state where there has been a long standing constitutional amendment defining marriage as one man one woman....I know which those are, but are you even safe there?

What does everyone think? Is there anywhere one can go where you can be safe from this issue?

--hide--
One might be able to escape this problem today, but tomorrow is an uncertainty. Of course, the movement is gaining traction, so if the states continue to grant civil union rights (so-called marriages) to same-sex couples, there will be no escape. Even in Europe the movement is gaining.

Unfortunately it may be a situation we have to deal with in this country no matter where we live. Even Wisconsin with it's constitutional amendment that states marriage is between a man and a woman, our previous governor granted his permission for civil unions. Still a moral issue; still a taxpayer burden.

Unless the US Supreme Court rules against legalized "marriages" between couples of the same sex, the trend will grow. Other states might be slower but eventually will be persuaded or foced to conform. My guess is that given the rising support of same-sex unions, the high court will probably ok civil unions, but not call them marriages. It would not solve the problem and would open the door to having the case re-appear at a future date. I would hope for an all-out ban on civil unions and same sex marriages, but I'm getting more pessimistic day-by-day.

Our voices need to be heard by our Good Lord, and our lawmakers. Wish the situation was more encouraging, Pat.

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: What state can one go to? Pat, it's refreshing to come across such an opti...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

What state can one go to?

Pat, it's refreshing to come across such an optimist during these times. The question you should be asking is, "What country can one go to?"

The answer (of course) is Russia.

www.dailymail.co.uk

I know a very devout French priest who is convinced that it will be Russia that will save the West from itself. I think the irony here would be almost too much to bear: the West brings down Communism in the Soviet Union (saving the people of the Soviet Republcs), and Russia brings down the secular humanists in the West (saving us).

--hide--

I would hold off on packing your bags. Russia has its share of problems, both political and moral in nature.

The government is very corrupt, and bribery is totally normal (you won't get very far in life if you don't know how to bribe).

Abortion is used like another form of birth control. I read somewhere Russia has one of the greatest numbers of abortions in the world (I'm guessing after China). When I was a social worker here in the States working with immigrants from Russia, one client told me matter-of-factly during her intake that she had 5 abortions (and 7 miscarriages). She was very puzzled when I started to cry. sad

For the most part, Russia is still an atheist country. Yes, religion is coming back, but 20 years is not long enough to change the mindset of the majority. People's understanding of right and wrong is still a bit shaky. You can get taken advantage of anywhere, but you have to be especially careful in Russia.

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: I don't think that's quite true, Paul. If it were, a handgun or concealed carry l...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

I don't think that's quite true, Paul. If it were, a handgun or concealed carry license issued in one state would be good in every state. There is a certain amount of wiggle room. Now if Nebraska recognized "gay marriage" on its own, then the "marriage" contracted in WA would be valid in NE as well.

There have been a number of states that already had "gay marriage" imposed by judicial fiat, but those "marriages" are not universally recognized in every state.

--hide--

As Pat pointed out, the Defense Of Marriage Act allows states to ignore same sex unions approved in other states. That is because the same Article gives Congress the power to regulate how each State must give credence to the Acts and Judicial decisions of other States.

As you probably know, the court has accepted a case challenging the DOMA and combined that with another case dealing with same sex "marriage." It might be the circuit court decision that nullified the law passed by the California citizens. Proposition 8?I don't know exactly when the Court has set the date for the hearing and arguments but a decision is expected before the Court recesses for the summer. It is also evident that the arguments are already being made in the media by high profile people like Bill Clinton.

I don't know how the issue of gun control plays out. My uneducated guess is that since Congress has not said anything on the issue, the States are free to ignore what another State does on the issue. I have never had an interest to research the issue.

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: As Pat pointed out, the Defense Of Marriage Act allows states to ignore same sex unions a...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

As Pat pointed out, the Defense Of Marriage Act allows states to ignore same sex unions approved in other states. That is because the same Article gives Congress the power to regulate how each State must give credence to the Acts and Judicial decisions of other States.

As you probably know, the court has accepted a case challenging the DOMA and combined that with another case dealing with same sex "marriage." It might be the circuit court decision that nullified the law passed by the California citizens. Proposition 8?I don't know exactly when the Court has set the date for the hearing and arguments but a decision is expected before the Court recesses for the summer. It is also evident that the arguments are already being made in the media by high profile people like Bill Clinton.

I don't know how the issue of gun control plays out. My uneducated guess is that since Congress has not said anything on the issue, the States are free to ignore what another State does on the issue. I have never had an interest to research the issue.

--hide--

I believe one of the cases is over the CA ban. I must say that I'm nervous on the whole thing.

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I would hold off on packing your bags. Russia has its share of problems, both political and moral i...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I would hold off on packing your bags. Russia has its share of problems, both political and moral in nature.

The government is very corrupt, and bribery is totally normal (you won't get very far in life if you don't know how to bribe).

Abortion is used like another form of birth control. I read somewhere Russia has one of the greatest numbers of abortions in the world (I'm guessing after China). When I was a social worker here in the States working with immigrants from Russia, one client told me matter-of-factly during her intake that she had 5 abortions (and 7 miscarriages). She was very puzzled when I started to cry.

For the most part, Russia is still an atheist country. Yes, religion is coming back, but 20 years is not long enough to change the mindset of the majority. People's understanding of right and wrong is still a bit shaky. You can get taken advantage of anywhere, but you have to be especially careful in Russia.

--hide--

You can add money laundering to the country's problems; it's a problem that affects banking worldwide. Yes, there are plenty of reasons to not want to live in Russia.

Having said that, I think the difference is in the direction the western governments and Russia are turning. Russia has already hit bottom; at least at the government level, they recognize a natural law (at least as far as their actions surrounding the homosexual "marriage" indicate).

We haven't hit bottom yet (although we're moving quite quickly in that direction, so just be a little patient); our government is at the stage where it sees no need to recognize any natural law.

The truth is, there is probably more protection for religious beliefs in Russia than in many of the western countries.

Mar 12th 2013 new

Hi Pat!

I know what you mean...the liberal laws that are being past are nothing short of enfuriating. You can come to North Carolina if you wanted to, though! We voted on gay unions a year ago, and we passed an amendment that stated that marriage would stay between one man and one woman. I was so happy that it passed, but it was close believe me.

Moving away from the problem can be a double-edged sword. On one hand, you can move to a state and be free of that kind of law, but on the other hand, you be one less conservative Catholic voice in Illinois. It's quite a decision; I'd say pray about it! :) Praying biggrin

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: What does everyone think? Is there anywhere one can go where you can be safe from this issue...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

What does everyone think? Is there anywhere one can go where you can be safe from this issue?

--hide--

If you want to run away from the problem, you could run to Utah but you would still be running away rather than dealing with the issues of the day. What the liberal media is trying to hide is that it has alreadly been proven over and over again that homosexulaity is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain - no different then many other mental illnesses like depression. Because of that, it CAN be cured. The other part most people do not comprehend is that only 3% of the entire US claims to be gay. The other 97% are straight. This goes further into that it must be a mental illness.

news.bbc.co.uk <- This article discusses how mercury causes homosexuality in birds

www.bbc.co.uk <- This article discusses how there is a cure that has been used on mice and what the chemistry is

Therefore, if it is a mental illness, then you can't allow the individuals with that mental illness to act upon it. We don't let people that are depressed kill themselves - we put them on suicide watches. We don't let people run around dancing in the street without any precautions (ie, Manic), we watch them and make sure they take their medications. Rather than fleeing from gay marriage, we should, as a Church, be fighting for the recognition that homosexuality is a mental illness.

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I am well aware of the societal issue, but I am thinking that a place with a constitutioinal amendmen...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I am well aware of the societal issue, but I am thinking that a place with a constitutioinal amendment long ago, before things got so crazy would be the best bet.

Statutes can be repealed on the caprise of the liberal elected legislature. My own representative in the Illinois House is a lesbian, so she won't be paying alot of attention to how I tell her to vote!

This is such a sad state of affairs...we are a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah, and our just punishment is coming....

--hide--

Well Pt, they tried to legalize in Indiana in 2005 but that got repealed soon afterwards.

Posts 31 - 40 of 200