Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

I was engaged last year and we read some wonderful books together, to prepare for marriage. Unfortunately, the engagement didn't last, but I did learn a lot from these books and wanted to share them:

Three To Get Married by Archbishop Fulton Sheen, Heaven's Song by Christopher West, True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary by St. Louis De Montfort, Absolute Relativism by Chris Stefanick (this last one, because we have adult children who turned away from the faith).

I was thinking it would be great to share what we've learned, or what helped, to prepare each other for our vocation to marriage. Just as I'm working to get my physical house in order after Hurricane Sandy, I'd like to get my spiritual house in order, to continue preparing for the Catholic spouse I'm praying the Lord will send, in His time.

What are you reading now?

Barbara rose

Mar 12th 2013 new

I read it a while back, but would recommend it to anyone. Whom not to marry. By Fr. Pat Connor. Its both funny and insightful. I lent it to a non-christian friend of mine and she said it was good, but I did warn her the last few chapters were "Catholicly". It was such a good book she never returned it and then moved away. Such a good book I re-bought it.

Currently I'm reading Summa Theologica. I'm not sure if that's a marriage prep book, but I'm sure it can be used to justify certainly Catholic view points towards it. ^__^

Mar 13th 2013 new

Will our Love last? by Sam Hamburg. it's been in print more than 30 years. I know the author. Very good, common sense approach. Secular but not morally objectionable.

Mar 14th 2013 new

I am always preparing for marriage even though I am currently not in a relationship....

I recommend The Five Languages of Love by Gary Chapman.

Has anyone else read it?

Mar 15th 2013 new

How to Find Your Soulmate without Losing Your Soul: 21 Secrets for Women by Jason and Crystalina Evert. I'm currently still reading it, and it's a great book so far!

Mar 18th 2013 new

Theology of the Body for beginners, by Christopher West. It explains so well the church's teachings & using many scripture quotes. It can be good for discussion too.

Apr 25th 2013 new
"The Meaning of Marriage" by Timothy Keller with Kathy Keller
Apr 27th 2013 new

Though my future status is as yet unclear, rolling eyes I am reading "Spousal Prayer: A Way to Marital Happiness" by Deacon James Keating, PhD. A small book but packed with wisdom. Praying

Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Barbara-689659 said: I'm working to get my physical house in order after Hurricane Sandy, I'd like to get my spirit...
(Quote) Barbara-689659 said: I'm working to get my physical house in order after Hurricane Sandy, I'd like to get my spiritual house in order, to continue preparing for the Catholic spouse I'm praying the Lord will send, in His time.
--hide--

I'm reading one by professional Christian counselor Paula Rinehart, Sex and the Soul of a Woman, updated and expanded edition. A colleague recommended it to me. Book cover: It "looks at the cultural changes in sexual expression, the price women pay for these changes, and the means God offers to help women claim their sexual promise." Rinehart is not Catholic but offers interesting insights.

Apr 29th 2013 new

THE EXCLAMATION by Patricia Wrona, a former CMer!

Posts 1 - 10 of 16