Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

The Bachelor

Mar 13th 2013 new

I just finished watching the finale of the Bachelor. Since I wasn't able to watch it Monday night on TV, I had to wait for it to upload on the ABC website and skillfully avoid any news of what happened. I was mildly surprised what girl the bachelor chose, although a better question is why do I or anyone else care?

I have to admit the reason that I do care atleast a little bit is I actually do find the show genuine, in contrast to the vast majority of other reality shows. Although only a few couples have made it, the mere fact that any of them made it, shows that atleast some of the contestants went on the show for the right reasons. And for those that didn't go on for the right reasons, well, if you are willing to have your life taped and shown to millions of Americans, hey, to each their own.

On a more personal level, I do see some paralells between the bachelor and catholic match. For perhaps the first time, God and spirituality was actually discussed a little bit this season. It was not nearly enough, but by bachelor standards, it was huge. It shows how important God is in finding a match. Where I see the biggest similarity is the dilmena the bachelor has in picking the right woman. As he gets toward the end, he, atleast it appears, falls is love or atleast has strong feelings for several women. He then has a very hard time deciding which ones to keep and eventually, which one to keep.

Although being a catholic match member is not nearly as dramatic, there are obvious parallels. I have communicated with many women on this site over the various stints of membership I've had over the years. The vast majority of communication has been mostly friendly and innocent, but there have been some instances of more serious communication. I've had difficulty deciding how to choose from several seemingly great, catholic single women on this site. And, perhaps as a result, I still find myself single. Is today's society with multiple dating possibilities actually making it more difficult to find a match, or is it more likely to lead us to the Sean Lowe, bachelor-esque happily ever after?

I suppose only God knows....

Mar 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: I just finished watching the finale of the Bachelor. Since I wasn't able to watch it Monday...
(Quote) Patrick-341178 said:

I just finished watching the finale of the Bachelor. Since I wasn't able to watch it Monday night on TV, I had to wait for it to upload on the ABC website and skillfully avoid any news of what happened. I was mildly surprised what girl the bachelor chose, although a better question is why do I or anyone else care?

I have to admit the reason that I do care atleast a little bit is I actually do find the show genuine, in contrast to the vast majority of other reality shows. Although only a few couples have made it, the mere fact that any of them made it, shows that atleast some of the contestants went on the show for the right reasons. And for those that didn't go on for the right reasons, well, if you are willing to have your life taped and shown to millions of Americans, hey, to each their own.

On a more personal level, I do see some paralells between the bachelor and catholic match. For perhaps the first time, God and spirituality was actually discussed a little bit this season. It was not nearly enough, but by bachelor standards, it was huge. It shows how important God is in finding a match. Where I see the biggest similarity is the dilmena the bachelor has in picking the right woman. As he gets toward the end, he, atleast it appears, falls is love or atleast has strong feelings for several women. He then has a very hard time deciding which ones to keep and eventually, which one to keep.

Although being a catholic match member is not nearly as dramatic, there are obvious parallels. I have communicated with many women on this site over the various stints of membership I've had over the years. The vast majority of communication has been mostly friendly and innocent, but there have been some instances of more serious communication. I've had difficulty deciding how to choose from several seemingly great, catholic single women on this site. And, perhaps as a result, I still find myself single. Is today's society with multiple dating possibilities actually making it more difficult to find a match, or is it more likely to lead us to the Sean Lowe, bachelor-esque happily ever after?

--hide--

Patrick: I am so glad that you wrote about the show, The Bachelor. Over the years, I have only watched a few
of them because of the silliness of the girls, and the back stabbing. I really did not like it and had a lot of other
things to watch.

This year, a friend of mine convinced me to watch it very towards the end. I enjoyed it. I felt it gut wrenching
for the girls who really fell in love with the guy. It was so hard to watch when Lindsay was turned down at
the end. I had such complete admiration for that girl. She is the type that would go through life with humor
and when facing dilemmas would make the most of it. I thought she would make an excellent partner for
any guy.

At first I did not like Katherine, I think that is her name. Then I could see she was more delicate and prettier
and really took Shaun's heart.

I hope you will find your true love someday, whether it be on CM or at your local candy store. Falling in love
and finding a partner really takes a lot of behind the scenes work, in addition to the right chemistry.
You may find someone perfect, but she may be going with someone (who could be the absolute wrong
person for her), and then there may be some out there who are absolutely smitten with you, and you
never gave them a second look. And then everything changes and all the planets line up, and it is
your turn to find love.

But I think the most important thing is, that the two of you are ready to find each other and then make
the commitment. I have a feeling that when you date someone, and the chemistry is really there, and
she feels the same way about you, then your day will come.

You seem like such a nice guy with a lot of interests. That right person for you may just not have come
along yet even though you meet a lot of dates.

God bless you, Patrick.

Mar 13th 2013 new

I appreciate and commend your candor. I'm not wise enough to respond to your question.

Mar 13th 2013 new

I have watched the Bachelor and Bachelorette from its inception, and it is actually a very interesting study in human nature and the sexes.

But to your point, I would suggest many men suffer from feeling they have too many (translation: unlimited) options. Some women might also think this way, but it strikes me as a particularly male phenomena and thus a problem. That is, because in the right order of things, it is up to a man to choose to get the ball to matrimony rolling, and it sounds like a situation of having had many good choices, but still having never chosen.

Like the one season of the Bachelor when he didn't pick anyone. Dude, not anyone, from all these great women?

As a friend of mine who works with Catholic singles has said, about the guys who are part of the group, "come on, you guys, just PICK ONE!"

There is a wonderful rule of discernment that I talk about in my book, and it goes like this:

Choose from what is present now.

I think many people "choose" something that does not even exist for them. Some fantasy ideal that does not and will not ever exist. Because choosing that is really choosing nothing.

I hope Sean and Catherine will be happy--they seem to be in love, and he seems a good guy for someone who was "the Bachelor."

Mar 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I have watched the Bachelor and Bachelorette from its inception, and it is actually a very interestin...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I have watched the Bachelor and Bachelorette from its inception, and it is actually a very interesting study in human nature and the sexes.

But to your point, I would suggest many men suffer from feeling they have too many (translation: unlimited) options. Some women might also think this way, but it strikes me as a particularly male phenomena and thus a problem. That is, because in the right order of things, it is up to a man to choose to get the ball to matrimony rolling, and it sounds like a situation of having had many good choices, but still having never chosen.

Like the one season of the Bachelor when he didn't pick anyone. Dude, not anyone, from all these great women?

As a friend of mine who works with Catholic singles has said, about the guys who are part of the group, "come on, you guys, just PICK ONE!"

There is a wonderful rule of discernment that I talk about in my book, and it goes like this:

I think many people "choose" something that does not even exist for them. Some fantasy ideal that does not and will not ever exist. Because choosing that is really choosing nothing.

I hope Sean and Catherine will be happy--they seem to be in love, and he seems a good guy for someone who was "the Bachelor."

--hide--

Pat,

You made reference to both shows, but only the bachelor is seen as a male phenomena of having too many options?!? boggled

As for the OP's comment about drawing a similarity between that show and being Catholic....hmmm. Well if the mere mention of God in between all the running around, physical contact, and jumping from woman to woman can even remotely draw a parallel to what was surely nothing more than a small footnote towards faith provides any relevance, everyone needs to shut off the TV and pray for better guidance.

Mar 13th 2013 new

Brian, I don't think the Bach or Bachette series are demonstrative of the too many choices phenomena; I was just stating I was familiar with the program(s).

I was addressing the OP's point about having not picked anyone yet.

Mar 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Patrick: I am so glad that you wrote about the show, The Bachelor. Over the years, I h...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Patrick: I am so glad that you wrote about the show, The Bachelor. Over the years, I have only watched a few
of them because of the silliness of the girls, and the back stabbing. I really did not like it and had a lot of other
things to watch.

This year, a friend of mine convinced me to watch it very towards the end. I enjoyed it. I felt it gut wrenching
for the girls who really fell in love with the guy. It was so hard to watch when Lindsay was turned down at
the end. I had such complete admiration for that girl. She is the type that would go through life with humor
and when facing dilemmas would make the most of it. I thought she would make an excellent partner for
any guy.

At first I did not like Katherine, I think that is her name. Then I could see she was more delicate and prettier
and really took Shaun's heart.

I hope you will find your true love someday, whether it be on CM or at your local candy store. Falling in love
and finding a partner really takes a lot of behind the scenes work, in addition to the right chemistry.
You may find someone perfect, but she may be going with someone (who could be the absolute wrong
person for her), and then there may be some out there who are absolutely smitten with you, and you
never gave them a second look. And then everything changes and all the planets line up, and it is
your turn to find love.

But I think the most important thing is, that the two of you are ready to find each other and then make
the commitment. I have a feeling that when you date someone, and the chemistry is really there, and
she feels the same way about you, then your day will come.

You seem like such a nice guy with a lot of interests. That right person for you may just not have come
along yet even though you meet a lot of dates.

God bless you, Patrick.

God bless you!!! What a nice message. I was actually hoping he'd pick Lindsay- she seemed to deserve it more. Catherine was nice, but it seemed like she was more in like with him than in love. But, they managed to stay together through the airing of the show - so maybe this is one that will make it.

I admit I kind of like the silliness and the backstabbing.... sorta a guilty pleasure of mine to actually see how young women act with each other....

--hide--

Mar 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-699857 said: (Quote) Pat-5351 said: I have watched the Bachelor and Bachelorette from i...
(Quote) Brian-699857 said:

Quote:
Pat-5351 said:

Pat,

You made reference to both shows, but only the bachelor is seen as a male phenomena of having too many options?!?

As for the OP's comment about drawing a similarity between that show and being Catholic....hmmm. Well if the mere mention of God in between all the running around, physical contact, and jumping from woman to woman can even remotely draw a parallel to what was surely nothing more than a small footnote towards faith provides any relevance, everyone needs to shut off the TV and pray for better guidance.

--hide--

This year was different. Sean said he was a "born again virgin" and does not plan to have sex before marriage. He also mentioned his faith and God, albeit in limited amounts (not sure how much of that was due to editing), but it was a positive step. There is no question that other years, the lack of God, morals and values, and what appears to have been, atleast some sleeping aroung was shameful. Nevetheless, there were still paralells between the show a being a member of this site as we all have what seems to be an unlimited amount of profiles to view. How do you narrow it down to the right one?

I think what Miss Pat was referring to is that men tend to like to keep their options open far more than women. I think that is especially true for women on this site. As far as the bachelorette vs. the bacherlor shows, the bachelorette tends to have a much harder time dealing with dating a bunch of men and tends to attach to one man far earlier than you see the bachelor attach to one woman. The symbolism is there.

Mar 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: (Quote) Brian-699857 said: (Quote) Pat-5351 said:

Quote:
Brian-699857 said:

Quote:
Pat-5351 said:

Pat,

You made reference to both shows, but only the bachelor is seen as a male phenomena of having too many options?!?

This year was different. Sean said he was a "born again virgin" and does not plan to have sex before marriage. He also mentioned his faith and God, albeit in limited amounts (not sure how much of that was due to editing), but it was a positive step. There is no question that other years, the lack of God, morals and values, and what appears to have been, atleast some sleeping aroung was shameful. Nevetheless, there were still paralells between the show a being a member of this site as we all have what seems to be an unlimited amount of profiles to view. How do you narrow it down to the right one?

I think what Miss Pat was referring to is that men tend to like to keep their options open far more than women. I think that is especially true for women on this site. As far as the bachelorette vs. the bacherlor shows, the bachelorette tends to have a much harder time dealing with dating a bunch of men and tends to attach to one man far earlier than you see the bachelor attach to one woman. The symbolism is there.

--hide--

I think you understood Pat's point. I also watched it and saw in Sean the most sincere man they have had on the show in the times I have watched. They are apparently getting married very soon and plan to do it on TV. I was impressed with Sean from the beginning and I liked him as a Bachelor back when he almost was hoping to marry Emily. I loved how the show allowed for a more sincere fellow and for the Christian/spiritual facet that NEEDS to be there. I don't know anything about Katherine because I missed the show for a number of weeks, though. I was afraid it would be very superficial like it sometimes is- but Sean is amazing and sincere.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: I just finished watching the finale of the Bachelor. Since I wasn't able to watch it Monday...

--hide--

My strict Catholic 95 year old mom watches it, so I do to:) Then we talk about it. I appreciated God and prayer being mentioned more than ever. During the final rose show Lindsey kept repeating that prayer got her through her heartbreak. Sean said it was through prayer that he made his final decision. They also talked about not living together. So it was refreshing. If you notice the ones that have actually gotten to the alter were the ones with high moral values.

Posts 1 - 10 of 10