Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 13th 2013 new

I thought an older South American might win. Here is my reasoning:

The European swing voters realized the time had come for a non-European Pope. However, they want to improve their chances of a European winning the next Conclave.
A younger non-European would have lots of time to appoint more non-European Cardinals, hurting European chances at future Conclaves.
If an African won, there would still be pressure for future Conclaves to elect a Pope from the Western Hemisphere.
If an North American won, there would still be pressure for future Conclaves to elect a Pope from the Southern Hemisphere or the Third World.

I had not heard of Bergoglio before, but he seems like a good choice.

Mar 13th 2013 new

The Jesuits have been troublesome for quite a while. As far as the name Francis goes, I here two different reasons. The first is from St. Francis of Assisi the other is St. Francis Xavier. Both are plausible as for the first, he esteems poverty and the second from the founding of the Jesuit order he belongs to.

Mar 13th 2013 new
(Quote) Bernie-350671 said: The Jesuits have been troublesome for quite a while. As far as the name Francis goes, I here two different rea...
(Quote) Bernie-350671 said:

The Jesuits have been troublesome for quite a while. As far as the name Francis goes, I here two different reasons. The first is from St. Francis of Assisi the other is St. Francis Xavier. Both are plausible as for the first, he esteems poverty and the second from the founding of the Jesuit order he belongs to.

--hide--
A Vatican spokesman said today that Pope Francis took the name to honor Francis of Assisi.
Mar 13th 2013 new

This may provide some clarity: www.cbc.ca

Mar 13th 2013 new

I believe you are correct.

Mar 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Edward-4511 said: A Vatican spokesman said today that Pope Francis took the name to honor Francis of Assisi.
(Quote) Edward-4511 said: A Vatican spokesman said today that Pope Francis took the name to honor Francis of Assisi.
--hide--

Some also say he took the name to honor St. Francis Xavier, a founder of the Jesuit order who was canonized March 12, 1622. The Conclave began March 12.

Mar 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernie-350671 said: Well that confirms it. He isn't a conservative. CNN thinks Obama is a conservative.
(Quote) Bernie-350671 said:

Well that confirms it. He isn't a conservative. CNN thinks Obama is a conservative.

--hide--
laughing laughing laughing

Mar 13th 2013 new
His background is Jesuit, but he did not choose a Jesuit name. He chose, of course, a Franciscan order name, St. Francis I.

He was born in Argentina, yet his surname is Italian. I understand that his parents were Italian immigrants to Argentina. Argentina is one of the most European-like Latin-American nations.

He would be like an "Italian-American," but he is actually an "Italian-South American!" The term "American," is often used in scholarly contexts to infer inclusion of both Americas, north and south. Here in the USA, we use the term "American" loosly to refer to "USA-born" persons. The numbers of Latin-American heritage Catholics is many, but Catholic in name only is common.

Pope Francis I as a Pope, would appeal to many Catholics, and seemingly increase the faith in those baptized Catholics who do not practice. Here in southern CA, Catholics are separated by language differences.

St. Francis is the patron saint of San Francisco, CA. Our new Pope is mindful of social issues such as poverty, AIDS, and with hope, drug issues that plague parts of Latin America.
Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: His background is Jesuit, but he did not choose a Jesuit name. He chose, of course, a Franciscan or...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: His background is Jesuit, but he did not choose a Jesuit name. He chose, of course, a Franciscan order name, St. Francis I.

He was born in Argentina, yet his surname is Italian. I understand that his parents were Italian immigrants to Argentina. Argentina is one of the most European-like Latin-American nations.

He would be like an "Italian-American," but he is actually an "Italian-South American!" The term "American," is often used in scholarly contexts to infer inclusion of both Americas, north and south. Here in the USA, we use the term "American" loosly to refer to "USA-born" persons. The numbers of Latin-American heritage Catholics is many, but Catholic in name only is common.

Pope Francis I as a Pope, would appeal to many Catholics, and seemingly increase the faith in those baptized Catholics who do not practice. Here in southern CA, Catholics are separated by language differences.

St. Francis is the patron saint of San Francisco, CA. Our new Pope is mindful of social issues such as poverty, AIDS, and with hope, drug issues that plague parts of Latin America.
--hide--

May God use him to target all of these needed issues! Dove Great post Jacqueline.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-826315 said: Has Benedict XVI ever clarified his inspiration for the name choice? It could have been one of fift...
(Quote) Jim-826315 said:

Has Benedict XVI ever clarified his inspiration for the name choice? It could have been one of fifteen previous Popes and there was at least one Saint Benedict.

--hide--

BXVI specifically explained his choice.

Posts 31 - 40 of 193