Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

03/13/2013 new
Among the folks i work with that are Catholic, we were talking about the pope today. Not sure my job brings out the best of my Christian attitude or behavior some times, but when I first started I worked with a lot of Catholics and it was so nice to head over to St. Pete's on holy days or Ash Wednesday with a group. I still discuss with colleagues our faith, and have learned a bit more about the Jewish faith from another colleague. Working in government, however being politically correct can sometimes put constraints on conversations outside of a "safe harbor" of friends. I know many people in the medical profession where faith is integral in their profession. I think part of it is more related to upbringing and example.
03/13/2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: However, I think it has more to do with one's environment and peer influence than actual c...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:

However, I think it has more to do with one's environment and peer influence than actual career.

--hide--

I totally agree with you on this point.. environmental and peer influence has a big role to play in the equation. I rememeber while I was back home in my country of origin, the question of whether or not God existed barely came up as the belief in God was inherently part of most people's lives in the society. Openly being a person of Faith is definitely less of a challenge in such an environment as one doesn't have to "prove" God's existence as if God is supposed to be some math theory that you have to demonstrate with paper and pencil rolling eyes

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Renee-288471 said: I think that many times big Catholic families do a disservice to their children by not encouragin...
(Quote) Renee-288471 said:

I think that many times big Catholic families do a disservice to their children by not encouraging more maths and sciences for fear that their children will loose their religion...

--hide--

Touché Renee.. I couldn't have put this better myself! smile

I believe the field of study by itself doesn't determine whether or not one will abadon one's faith and religion, and I am most confident about this having studied science and technology up to graduate level myself and still growing in burning love and faith in God. In fact, the more I learn and practice my field, the more I realize the imperfection of science and technology, which makes me even more convinced that there has to be a supernatural being who made all the wonderful things life and nature has to offer Dove . I wish more parents would realize this and support their kids if they choose such field of study.. afterall, God guides his flock and never loses any of his sheep (except the one who wills to stray, who would still be lost anyways regardless of career scratchchin).

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Tim-734178 said: As a scientist, I have not struggled because of science but like all who love Our Blessed Lord struggle du...
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: As a scientist, I have not struggled because of science but like all who love Our Blessed Lord struggle due to many normal things from the world. Science to me, especially my chosen field of chemistry affirms Gods existence. But many in my field don't see it that way.
--hide--

Tim, you just hit the hammer on the nail.. Science DOES affirms Gods existence, wish more people would percieve it this way Praying

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: Among the folks i work with that are Catholic, we were talking about the pope today.
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: Among the folks i work with that are Catholic, we were talking about the pope today.
--hide--

Elizabeth, do you realize you're lucky to have colleagues to discuss about the Pope with? The "most suitable" colleague I saw fit to discuss the Pope with at work today is an ex-Catholic who's now an agnostic (at least he understood what I was talking about!) laughing

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Chuka-941523 said: I was quite excited and spiritually uplifted today after the new Pope was elected (long live Pope Franci...
(Quote) Chuka-941523 said: I was quite excited and spiritually uplifted today after the new Pope was elected (long live Pope Francis! :-) and I thought of discussing how to celebrate this wonderful occasion with a friend in Christ who would understand the reason for my joy. After going through my list of friends who are in close proximity (and naturally are in the same or similar career as myself), I realized they are ALL atheist or agnostic. It's the first time I had actually thought about it in this light, and so the question came to mind:

Are people of certain careers more prone to losing their Faith in God than others? Or is it just a coincidence that people of certain careers (usually careers that require critical thinking such as science and technology/research) tend to seek deterministic and empirical "proof" for God's existence and also believe they are in "control" of everything and thus no "Greater Being" exists, regardless of religion?

Despite being in the field of science, research & engineering, for me it has never really been a struggle keeping my Faith as I've established such a relationship with friends and colleagues that they respect my Faith and mostly don't question me about it.

I would like to hear from other people of Faith (regardless of your career), has it ever been a struggle keeping and defending your Faith when it comes to your career? Do you think certain careers are more prone to this "struggle" than others?
--hide--

Very interesting, Chuka!

I don't know for sure, but it might be more because certain professions tend to attract certain types of people. For example, a "biblical" person who doesn't believe in evolution is unlikely to have a career in evolutionary biology!!! And because science assumes a physical explanation for everything, it is more likely to appeal to an atheist.

I'm also in research and engineering and my experience is more 50-50. Many of my colleagues are religious, a few devout Christians, but many are also atheist or agnostic. It is actually a well-known fact that roughly 50% of scientists in the US are atheist or agnostic and the other 50% is religious.

When you think about it, some of the greatest scientists have been religious! Lemaitre (Big Bang Theory) was not just a Catholic priest, but a Monsignor. Mendel (Genetics) was a monk. The modern calendar was invented by Pope Gregory! There are countless other greats in science who are/were religious. People forget that the Church's role in science all the time....
A friend of mine from college who is an atheist recently started making noise on Facebook about how religion is unscientific and illogical. When I listed these great Catholic scientists, his argument fell apart (although he, sadly, remains atheist).

03/14/2013 new

I work in Pediatrics, and unfortunatly not everything is rainbows and cotton candy. I think some atheists/agnostics in the field struggle because their perception is that God is allowing suffering - innocent souls taken too soon or children with horrible barriers to overcome. However, I don't know how they rectify that there are truely miracles that defy any medical or scientific reasoning. They can only be the work of God.

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Renee-288471 said: I think it's a mix of both. Remember the person who developed the scientific methold was Cath...
(Quote) Renee-288471 said:

I think it's a mix of both. Remember the person who developed the scientific methold was Catholic. Most scientists we hear about today are young and entergetic and the very type to not acknolege God. Some are old crackpots, and we've had these throughout history.

I think that many times big Catholic families do a disservice to their children by not encouraging more maths and sciences for fear that their children will loose their religion, meanwhile tiny, agnostic families with decently deep pockets can afford to send their children to undergrad, even Masters and PHD. (surprizing how much you can provide for 1 child if you don't have 5 others to feed and clothe). I'm not sure this is a good trend. I think that we should be more generous as parishioners and help families choosing to "Do things right" to encourage their children into the sciences.

FYI my priest was a engineer for 30 years before entering the priesthood. He is one of the most in-love with God persons I ever met. During his engineer years he struggled with God becuase he felt guilty for not doing more, but society told him that he was great enough for being a hot-shot engineer. Eventually God won....but not without support of his momma who knew her son was destined to use his scientific mind for God.

--hide--

I think that many times big Catholic families do a disservice to their children by not encouraging more maths and sciences for fear that their children will loose their religion......
Really? In 2013? You surely know what you're talking about, so I'm not disputing it. It's just is shocking and unacceptable!! And plain wrong too..... From what I've seen, there is a slight tendency for highly educated people (not just those in maths and science) to be less religious.

FYI my priest was a engineer for 30 years before entering the priesthood.
I have a friend who is a recent engineering graduate (and was a top student) who has just entered seminary. And I know a priest who was an IT guy for many years beforehand.

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Chuka-941523 said: I was quite excited and spiritually uplifted today after the new Pope was elected (long live Pope Franci...
(Quote) Chuka-941523 said: I was quite excited and spiritually uplifted today after the new Pope was elected (long live Pope Francis! :-) and I thought of discussing how to celebrate this wonderful occasion with a friend in Christ who would understand the reason for my joy. After going through my list of friends who are in close proximity (and naturally are in the same or similar career as myself), I realized they are ALL atheist or agnostic. It's the first time I had actually thought about it in this light, and so the question came to mind:

Are people of certain careers more prone to losing their Faith in God than others? Or is it just a coincidence that people of certain careers (usually careers that require critical thinking such as science and technology/research) tend to seek deterministic and empirical "proof" for God's existence and also believe they are in "control" of everything and thus no "Greater Being" exists, regardless of religion?

Despite being in the field of science, research & engineering, for me it has never really been a struggle keeping my Faith as I've established such a relationship with friends and colleagues that they respect my Faith and mostly don't question me about it.

I would like to hear from other people of Faith (regardless of your career), has it ever been a struggle keeping and defending your Faith when it comes to your career? Do you think certain careers are more prone to this "struggle" than others?
--hide--

Good question. I think I was one of those friends, however obviously not atheist/other tongue

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Jennifer-655204 said: I work in Pediatrics, and unfortunatly not everything is rainbows and cotton candy. I think so...
(Quote) Jennifer-655204 said:

I work in Pediatrics, and unfortunatly not everything is rainbows and cotton candy. I think some atheists/agnostics in the field struggle because their perception is that God is allowing suffering - innocent souls taken too soon or children with horrible barriers to overcome. However, I don't know how they rectify that there are truely miracles that defy any medical or scientific reasoning. They can only be the work of God.

--hide--

I can certainly see how suffering (both the sufferer and the person helping out) can make a person question why God allows suffering. However, it is more of a half-full or half-empty glass question since God also allows all the beauty, love and joy in life. Actually, the incident in my life that made me much more deeply rooted in my faith and love for God was a "near death" experience where I was in a coma for three days and on the third day the doctors thought I was dead after not being able to detect any pulse. We can see God's miracles in our daily lives if only we open our hearts and minds to realize it.. and the healing of the sick on its own is definitely a miracle.. God bless! smile Praying theheart

Posts 11 - 20 of 74