Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mar 14th 2013 new
I am lucky for so many reasons. This is just another one.
Mar 14th 2013 new

Business majors are busy a) making money, b) promoting their own careers and prestige, c) creating myths and growing to believe them.

Mar 14th 2013 new

I recently went to conference with 7 other nurses from my unit...different ages, races, etc. Of the eight of us, I am Catholic, one is a Jehovah's Witness, and the other six were non-practicing Catholics. Nearly everyone in my feild in Southern VA beleives in God...but that certainly does not stop them from doing whatever they want. Perhaps because we are on the fringe of the Bible Belt that belief in God is stil accepttable. Oddly enough, they all give up something for Lent even though they haven't been to Holy Mass in Years!!! I have noticed that in the medical feild, the higher your education (RN versus LPN, MD versus Med student) their is a much higher rate of atheism...perhaps because they believe they can control anything...we hold power over life and death.

Not to be judgemental or make sweeping judgements, but atheism is a disease largly of the intellectual. The simpleton tending sheep is much less likely to disbeleive the existance of God than the intellectual giving a lecture on nuclear fusion. Many people on this discussion have already alluded to the fact that this along with every other attrocity man is capable of committing are largly a matter of enculturation, of accepting something that everyone else does because I don't want to be an odd ball.

I think that, for some strange and largly as yet unexplained reason, people get the feeling that the existance of God has been scientifically disproved, or at least that it is unsupportable. All that has really happened is that Atheism or Agnosticism has been part of the scientific culture for hundreds of years due to loudmouths throughout history who really didn't know what they were talking about. A good example of this is Darwin's Origin of Species, which has been disproved many times over and was never recognized as fact among the more discerning intellectuals even of his day, but it is still clung to by so many people today. I am not here discounting the evolutionary process in general or the possibility that God may have used evolution to accomplish much of His work here on earth. I am merely pointing out that though it could not have happened in the way that Darwin states, people still hold him up as a great thinker and intellectual, and many poor, thoughtless, self made peole use his theory as a foundation of their own lives. White coats, bow ties, spectacles, and atheism give you a pretty solid picture of a scientist, doctor, or teacher.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: The more I see this, the more I see this as a Protestant misunderstanding/aversion to su...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

The more I see this, the more I see this as a Protestant misunderstanding/aversion to suffering creeping in to atheist thought. I know so many Protestants who have a very strange view indeed of suffering - as if its a sign of lack of faith/not really being Christian/punishment from God or that God sends us suffering, that He wills it to sought out if we're "worthy" of the salvation granted at the Cross. Its an incredibly corrupt and blasphemous construct of heretic theology. Or the recent strangeness, a Protestant told me she's not "really" suffering [when its as blatant as a smack in the face with a cricket bat that she is], instead, she's under the illusion of suffering because of her personal sin. What? I dunno either...

Without an understanding of suffering and its place within this world and an understanding what God's permissive Will actually is, how can we expect atheists to grasp a ten year old dying with cancer when Protestants can't even? Heck, I know a lot of Catholics who have the wrong end of the stick.

--hide--

A fantastic commentary both by Naomi and by Jennifer. Ours is the only faith that embraces and sees meaning in suffering...all other faiths see it as an intrinsic evil. Easter relgigions too, such as Buddism which, I believe, sees it as a tool to get to enlightenment and to loose one's body. I too work in pediatrics, and every time we have a mentally retarded/developmentally disabled child who has mulptile contractions, who has to be fed through a tube, who's little body is twisted and stuck in their wheelchair, some is sure to comment "that is why we should never try to save those NICU babies." There is one nurse in particular who left the NICU because she didn't agree with "saving a child so they could have a meaningless life and never do anything." So many of them think "I'd rather have my child die than have them live like that." I don't judge them because I would be very sad to have child like that...who could never speak or make eye contact, who's life would be full of UTIs and seizures...but I pray to God that my spirit would rise to the challenge and be able to nurture the child's tortured soul that they might be saved. They are still precious and irreplacable.

That brings us to another thought of todays' world: life is cheep. we must control births, allow deaths (even to the point of welcoming or causing them to come about unnaturally soon under the threat of disease), control conception, and turn our backs on sufferings.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: Not to be judgemental or make sweeping judgements, but atheism is a disease largly of the intelle...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

Not to be judgemental or make sweeping judgements, but atheism is a disease largly of the intellectual. The simpleton tending sheep is much less likely to disbeleive the existance of God than the intellectual giving a lecture on nuclear fusion.

--hide--

If anything, I think that's the key in which a career path may have more snares than another. For as much as science and liberal arts may be different, they both have that intellectualism in common. Not that intellectualism is a bad thing. In the end, all knowledge leads to God. But people will only rationalize to a point where they are happy with their sinful lifestyle.

The thing about atheists, is that even if God were to show Himself on earth today and give some indisputable proof of His existence, they would still reject him because many of them reject His message to begin with. That's really where it all starts. To believe in God doesn't just mean to believe that He exists. Even the devil acknowledges that. When we say we believe in someone, or something, it means we support that person or thing, and what it stands for. It means we support God's message. If people don't support God's message, then it's easy for them to take the step of not believing in the existence of God at all. After all, they're taking the same leap of faith as we are, just in the other direction. And they're happy with it too.

I think what intellectualism does, is that it provides a vehicle for those who are already disposed to be against God's message to take the step towards atheism. If one doens't become an intellectual, they may still technically believe in God's existence, but that doesn't really mean they believe in God in terms of supporting His message.

Mar 14th 2013 new

Well spoke, Robert.

No matter how intellectual or well educated you are, the human tendency of "I want it and I want it this way and I want it now!" seems to win out. There are very few atheists where I work. However, there are very few people who attend church or try to live a Christian lifestlye.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Kwaku-654846 said: I think that many times big Catholic families do a disservice to their childr...
(Quote) Kwaku-654846 said:

I think that many times big Catholic families do a disservice to their children by not encouraging more maths and sciences for fear that their children will loose their religion......
Really? In 2013? You surely know what you're talking about, so I'm not disputing it. It's just is shocking and unacceptable!! And plain wrong too..... From what I've seen, there is a slight tendency for highly educated people (not just those in maths and science) to be less religious.

FYI my priest was a engineer for 30 years before entering the priesthood.
I have a friend who is a recent engineering graduate (and was a top student) who has just entered seminary. And I know a priest who was an IT guy for many years beforehand.

--hide--

I think that many times the big, Catholic families are often homeschooling. The mother is usually the one doing the teaching. If she has a degree (which many these days do) it's in the arts or "soft" science like social work. While many choose to use curriculum and even have their children persue outside college classes as older teens by that time it's too late to have the credits/background to get into the good "hard" sciences engineering, dr's, research scientists. I went to a Tier 2 school (Tier 1 being Ivy's and big name state schools) and to be accepted into science programs you had to come in with nearly a years worth of credits under your belt.

The parents of many children don't have the reasources to put one of many children through a year's worth of college by 17 or 18. Sometimes, they don't even have the room/money to support the child on breaks from school, certinaly not for 8+ years of med school and residency. I think at most they push their children into practical careers, business related, IT (which is a "science" but really depends on what you do) and into the skilled service industry (mechanics, plumbers) and different levels of law enforcement.

Smaller familes have the luxary of expensive field trips and summer camps, honors AP classes at private schools. Some states alow homeschoolers to share these resources, but not many. I think that devoutly Catholic or Christian families, both big and little, homescholed, prive or public tend to be afraid of what will happen to their children if they persue a hard science. I once met a Catholic medical student 2 years away from being a doctor who told me that his mother cried when he decided to be a doctor, fearing he would loose his way to God. Even at a Catholic med school he was one of 3 practicing Catholics in a class of 200.

However, in his class all the students had sought out the Catholic med school becuase of moral and ethical reasons. Most had come from a-moral families where relativism reigned. They sought out the stability of the Catholic teachings on life. Their was a special "seniour year RCIA" class....after 12 years of schooling, some baptized and others not joined the church. This was maybe 3-5 on any given year.

So, if we can keep the balance, keep our instuties of higher education focused on the morals they provide then perhaps we will win back Catholics at the end of their degrees.

I do think that the Catholic church as a whole needs to make a statement and "Take back" science. Almost all of Modern Science is founded on principles discovered by Catolics. We need to step up to the plate and turn the tide back.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: I recently went to conference with 7 other nurses from my unit...different ages, races, etc. Of t...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

I recently went to conference with 7 other nurses from my unit...different ages, races, etc. Of the eight of us, I am Catholic, one is a Jehovah's Witness, and the other six were non-practicing Catholics. Nearly everyone in my feild in Southern VA beleives in God...but that certainly does not stop them from doing whatever they want. Perhaps because we are on the fringe of the Bible Belt that belief in God is stil accepttable. Oddly enough, they all give up something for Lent even though they haven't been to Holy Mass in Years!!! I have noticed that in the medical feild, the higher your education (RN versus LPN, MD versus Med student) their is a much higher rate of atheism...perhaps because they believe they can control anything...we hold power over life and death.

Not to be judgemental or make sweeping judgements, but atheism is a disease largly of the intellectual. The simpleton tending sheep is much less likely to disbeleive the existance of God than the intellectual giving a lecture on nuclear fusion. Many people on this discussion have already alluded to the fact that this along with every other attrocity man is capable of committing are largly a matter of enculturation, of accepting something that everyone else does because I don't want to be an odd ball.

I think that, for some strange and largly as yet unexplained reason, people get the feeling that the existance of God has been scientifically disproved, or at least that it is unsupportable. All that has really happened is that Atheism or Agnosticism has been part of the scientific culture for hundreds of years due to loudmouths throughout history who really didn't know what they were talking about. A good example of this is Darwin's Origin of Species, which has been disproved many times over and was never recognized as fact among the more discerning intellectuals even of his day, but it is still clung to by so many people today. I am not here discounting the evolutionary process in general or the possibility that God may have used evolution to accomplish much of His work here on earth. I am merely pointing out that though it could not have happened in the way that Darwin states, people still hold him up as a great thinker and intellectual, and many poor, thoughtless, self made peole use his theory as a foundation of their own lives. White coats, bow ties, spectacles, and atheism give you a pretty solid picture of a scientist, doctor, or teacher.

--hide--

Not intellect. Many very smart people have pointed to God. Atheism, atleast in the first generation, (those born to believing parents) is a disease of arrogance.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Renee-288471 said: Not intellect. Many very smart people have pointed to God. Atheism, atleast in ...
(Quote) Renee-288471 said:

Not intellect. Many very smart people have pointed to God. Atheism, atleast in the first generation, (those born to believing parents) is a disease of arrogance.

--hide--

A disease of arrogance! Right on!!! clap

Do you think, Renee, that arogance is a challenge more for those who are very intellectual? Or perhaps the arrogant are just more outspoken about things in general so we hear them in intellectual circles most often. scratchchin

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Renee-288471 said: Not intellect. Many very smart people have pointed to God. Atheism, atleast in ...
(Quote) Renee-288471 said:

--hide--

A disease of arrogance! Right on!!! clap

Do you think, Renee, that arogance is a challenge more for those who are very intellectual? Or perhaps the arrogant are just more outspoken about things in general so we hear them in intellectual circles most often. scratchchin

Posts 31 - 40 of 74