Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

This seems like a small mistake, but I keep hearing it over and over. The media is saying that
there has already been a new turn of events from this new Pope. When he was on the balcony
for his first appearance as Pope, he blessed the crowd, and then he "asked the crowd to
bless him."

That is not what he did. He asked the crowd to pray to God for him. He wanted them to ask
the Almighty for blessings for his reign as Pope.

Since I was young I have had non Catholics come up to me and ask "Why do you pray to
Statues?" Why do you light a fire in the candles?" Now non Catholics want to know if
it is safe to be around priests? They ask as though there are no loving and sincere
and holy men who have given their lives to the priesthood.

When non Catholics hear from the media that the crowd was asked to "bless him," I
think that sends another wrong message. And I have heard that from news reports both
yesterday and today. I don't think it is a small mistake. Am I overreacting to this?

Have there been other media releases that you found misleading? There probably have
been lots of them.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: This seems like a small mistake, but I keep hearing it over and over. The media is saying that...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

This seems like a small mistake, but I keep hearing it over and over. The media is saying that
there has already been a new turn of events from this new Pope. When he was on the balcony
for his first appearance as Pope, he blessed the crowd, and then he "asked the crowd to
bless him."

That is not what he did. He asked the crowd to pray to God for him. He wanted them to ask
the Almighty for blessings for his reign as Pope.

Since I was young I have had non Catholics come up to me and ask "Why do you pray to
Statues?" Why do you light a fire in the candles?" Now non Catholics want to know if
it is safe to be around priests? They ask as though there are no loving and sincere
and holy men who have given their lives to the priesthood.

When non Catholics hear from the media that the crowd was asked to "bless him," I
think that sends another wrong message. And I have heard that from news reports both
yesterday and today. I don't think it is a small mistake. Am I overreacting to this?

Have there been other media releases that you found misleading? There probably have
been lots of them.

--hide--

Just to add another tidbit that I heard on the news and found surprising. They said that
St. Peter the Apostle, and Pope was married. They said that in the past, priests were able to marry
and that this new Pope, whoever it might be, would change the rules.

I never knew any of the Apostles were married. They were so busy spreading the word of
the new religion all over the world, that they really had no time to have a family, and all but one was
martyred.

Am I right about the Apostles not being married?

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Just to add another tidbit that I heard on the news and found surprising. They said th...

Just to add another tidbit that I heard on the news and found surprising. They said that
St. Peter the Apostle, and Pope was married. They said that in the past, priests were able to marry

I never knew any of the Apostles were married. They were so busy spreading the word of
the new religion all over the world, that they really had no time to have a family, and all but one was
martyred.

--hide--
I have heard Peter was married,but left his wife to pursue the ministry.With her permission I assume.That can still be done if both spouses agree,and become Religious.Not to remarry,but to live in Holy Chastity.

Mar 14th 2013 new

The Pope could allow married Priests in the Roman Rite if he gave the permission.I am in favour of that.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Just to add another tidbit that I heard on the news and found surprising. They said th...

martyred.

--hide--

Peter was because Christ rebuked the fever of his mother in law.

The Western tradition was similar to the East, where married men could be ordained priest. Celibacy became the discipline of the West in about the 11th Century.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Peter was because Christ rebuked the fever of his mother in law. The Western tra...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

The Western tradition was similar to the East, where married men could be ordained priest. Celibacy became the discipline of the West in about the 11th Century.

--hide--

Do you know any more about Christ rebuking the fever of Peter's mother in law? I wonder where in the Bible that
was?

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Peter was because Christ rebuked the fever of his mother in law. The Western tra...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

--hide--
It should be allowed for married men to be ordained.Already ordained men would not be permitted to marry however.Not sure the basis for that rule,but even the Orthodox follow that.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Do you know any more about Christ rebuking the fever of Peter's mother in law? I w...

Do you know any more about Christ rebuking the fever of Peter's mother in law? I wonder where in the Bible that
was?

--hide--
Douay-Rheims Bible
Matthew 8:14 And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother lying, and sick of a fever:

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: It should be allowed for married men to be ordained.Already ordained men would not be permitted t...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

It should be allowed for married men to be ordained.Already ordained men would not be permitted to marry however.Not sure the basis for that rule,but even the Orthodox follow that.

--hide--

That is similar to deacons today. If they are married, or if they are widowed, or single, they can become deacons. But
once a deacon, they may not marry, even if their wife dies.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Douay-Rheims Bible Matthew 8:14 And when Jesus was come into Peter&...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Douay-Rheims Bible
Matthew 8:14 And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother lying, and sick of a fever:

--hide--

I did not remember that. I am so surprised that he was married.

Posts 1 - 10 of 35