Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: From another post, it gave me the idea that CM needs a Chastity "support" forum. Thi...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

From another post, it gave me the idea that CM needs a Chastity "support" forum.

This is a serious issue for single Catholics, for those who are trying to live purely, and feel no support from the secular world.

It could be a tool for education, for those who have not yet been a victor in the struggle, and where people could ask for help and answers and prayers.

While I could see it possibly needing some rules about how to word posts, and parameters for the tone of such conversations, I think some people would find it very helpful and edifying.

Maybe if there could be a way to post anonymously in such a room as well.

Just something to think about.

--hide--

I agree Pat. This is an excellent idea! :)

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: From another post, it gave me the idea that CM needs a Chastity "support" forum. Thi...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

From another post, it gave me the idea that CM needs a Chastity "support" forum.

This is a serious issue for single Catholics, for those who are trying to live purely, and feel no support from the secular world.

It could be a tool for education, for those who have not yet been a victor in the struggle, and where people could ask for help and answers and prayers.

While I could see it possibly needing some rules about how to word posts, and parameters for the tone of such conversations, I think some people would find it very helpful and edifying.

--hide--

Hi Pat! I find the idea of an anonymous chastity forum very interesting. The only issue I see there is that those who tend toward judgment may find the anonymity more freeing, as well. Hence, I'm sure, your statement about rules. Chelle

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: I have never noted any problems in the forums, or elsewhere, where others were degraded for...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:

I have never noted any problems in the forums, or elsewhere, where others were degraded for living a chaste lifestyle.
--hide--

The problems arise not from the lifestyle one leads, but in being ridiculed for the beliefs one expresses in the forums.

Sorry, but I don't see a chastity support forum rectifying that problem: there's nothing to keep the culprits from making the same comments there that they presently make in other forums.

Mar 15th 2013 new

True, it is a private issue which is ripping the Church apart from within.

But Jerry is right. The reason that people don't want to discuss such things is because of the judgmental attitudes of our well meaning compatriots. For some reason, if someone says "I struggle with this," someone else comes in a says "well that is silly. I can't see why anyone would do that!" and basically it is all downhill from there.

I think it is something that members should discuss privately. If you need general support/help, the mens/womens forums are good for that.

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: The problems arise not from the lifestyle one leads, but in being ridiculed for the belie...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

The problems arise not from the lifestyle one leads, but in being ridiculed for the beliefs one expresses in the forums.

Sorry, but I don't see a chastity support forum rectifying that problem: there's nothing to keep the culprits from making the same comments there that they presently make in other forums.

--hide--

Forums do tend to give us an occasion to sin via uncharitable comments. I have never seen a war topic ending in unity. I see a lot of confusion in terms of dogma, interpretations and practice.

Since I view CM not only as a dating site, but as a fellowship, the question is “How do we help each other? “. CM is a place to “grow in faith”. And I find this to be very timely as this year is proclaimed to be the “Year of Faith” --- the time to recall many forgotten basics (e.g.Chastity), the time we must revisit the Catechism if we truly want to be authentic Catholics. The world is becoming increasingly secular, but Catechism will keep us grounded as followers of Christ.

In view of this, I think what we need in CM is a Catechism forum in the Blog section, with a priest moderator who can interact with CM members’ comments. We are more inclined to listen to a Church authority where matters of Catechism are involved. I believe this will help in our CM journey toward a more fulfilling relationship with God and our future partner.

Dove

Mar 15th 2013 new
Hi Rosemarie, I think that is a wonderful idea! A question and answer section with a priest moderator is a terrific idea! I see a lot of pontificating on both sides of these hot button topics and such a forum, or question and answer section or whatever you want to call it might help to cool down some of the nasty comments. As you said, most people will be much more inclined and give more weight to someone such as a priest. I see many of the conversations in the forums as a chance for some to bat others over the head...not very constructive or instructive in my opinion. Thank you Rosemarie, for your thoughtful comments, I really appreciate your insights!
Mar 15th 2013 new

I'm not sure that a separate room for this issue would make the conversations more respectful or polite. People like to argue their opinion till they are blue in the face sometimes.

I think that even amongst faithful 7/7 Catholics who attend Mass regularly, you will still find some minor disagreements on how to live chastely and how to seek a Catholic spouse and remain chaste. Also, people may have different triggers for their own personal slippery slopes towards sin, and may not agree that something is or is not acceptable while living a chaste life. The discussions on personal responsibility and modest clothing are but one example of this.

I do agree with Pat's earlier suggestion that it is a good idea to have a Catholic resources section of the website. This would provide information and support to single Catholics on living a faith-filled life, including chastity support. It would also diminish the likelihood of people arguing their personal opinion as definitive Church teaching, which unfortunately may not provide the proper guidance to someone's question. It won't end the forum debates and it won't force people to be respectful, but it will provide official and more definitive guidance for CM members on Catholic teaching.

Mar 16th 2013 new

This topic is very much within the perview of the Single Living room. If discussion of a topic is not possible because of "uruly" or uncharitable posts then it violates the forum rules and the report abuse link should be used. More rooms do nothing but to spread our the current member and thus there is less activity spread over more rooms. If anyting we are hoping to reduce the number of rooms over time when we see that any particular room does not have enough actiivty to warrant a presence on the site. In a few cases we may keep a less active room just because it represnts a small minority but is an important part of our site and there is not other place for the discussion to take place.

Mar 16th 2013 new
(Quote) Pat-5351 said: From another post, it gave me the idea that CM needs a Chastity "support" forum. This is a...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

--hide--

I think you bring up a good suggestion Pat. It can be increasingly hard to do what is right when we are bombarded with sexual images all the time. I just heard today on GMA that they will be making a movie out of 50 Shades of Gray. May I suggest, perhaps, reading books on the topic of chasity. I personally find Christopher West to be inspiring, and I hope to get a copy of his most recent book.

Candace
Mar 17th 2013 new

I wholeheartedly agree with you Pat that some form of chastity support is needed and would be greatly appreciated, our Lord knows I need it, but I'm not sure about how it is best given.

Posts 11 - 20 of 48