Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I have noticed a trend amongst those who do not answer yes to all the faith questions. Often times I have found that many will say no to the topic of contraception or some other topic but they do say yes to papal infalibility? scratchchin Does anyone else find this to be a contradiction? Cause if one believes in Papal infalibility then doesnt that mean they should also say yes to just about every other question? Has anyone else ever noticed this and laughed?

03/13/2013 new

FIRST POST ALERT!! wave Welcome to the fora, Christopher! This has been a constant debate among the members, but rest assured, the more you browse profiles and read the forum posts, you'll become aware of even MORE humorous contradictions. Just keep in mind that the profiles tend to be like personal infomercials, and like those we see on TV - sometimes they are accurate and really are worth buying the product, and others are simply a waste of time and money. You have to learn to 'read between the lines' a lot, and be aware that things are not always what they seem. A dead giveaway to scammers, for instance, are the contradictory statements that they make in an effort to draw people in. Learn to read them carefully and thoroughly, then proceed with caution, as with anything else on the internet.

If something seems out-of-place or doesn't make sense, then pass on it. There are many others more worthy of your consideration. Meanwhile, enjoy your stay here and God bless your search.Praying

03/14/2013 new
(Quote) Christopher-868726 said: I have noticed a trend amongst those who do not answer yes to all the faith questions. Often times I have...
(Quote) Christopher-868726 said:

I have noticed a trend amongst those who do not answer yes to all the faith questions. Often times I have found that many will say no to the topic of contraception or some other topic but they do say yes to papal infalibility? Does anyone else find this to be a contradiction? Cause if one believes in Papal infalibility then doesnt that mean they should also say yes to just about every other question? Has anyone else ever noticed this and laughed?

--hide--

Sadly there are just a lot of Catholics who don't know. And they don't know because they haven't been taught or they have been given contradicting information. Let's pray that everyone comes to know and love their faith. The Church Militant needs saints! God bless you Christopher.
03/14/2013 new

Thanks! Im glad to hear that I am not the only one.

03/15/2013 new

Yeah, I've often wondered about that, but I think it just shows a disconnect in their faith. They really don't know what they are saying, and if they knew the truths of the Church and really understood where she was coming from, I think they would embrace it readily.

03/15/2013 new

I, too, have noticed this and found it a bit humorous. :) I don't have a tendency to excuse it so readily by claiming that ignorance of what a person ought to know is neutral (since it's not).

Anyway, you'll hear all sorts of excuses for those members who do not assent to all of what we are bound to believe. The most common reason I've heard for choosing the "no" option on the contraception front is the most comical. Some women actually believe that if they take ortho tri cyclen lo, methotrexate, or other drug (with a common side-effect of being contraceptive or abortifacient) to address a real pathology that they are dissenting from the teachings of the Church. That is plain silliness...as it's plain to see that it is only dissent from the teachings of the Church to take these medications for the intention either to frustrate nature or murder one's child.

As an adult, we're bound to think and live as adults and leave behind the things of a child. Part of being an adult is knowing what one ought to know both to do one's temporal duty and come to salvation. It is not a neutral thing to neglect this, though many do.

Remember when looking for a future spouse that you should see him or her as the type for your potential children. If you would not want children like the woman in all ways at whom you are looking, then pass by the woman. Marriage is not about growing into good adulthood. An individual needs to be a good adult first, then look into the vocation of marriage, since the salvation of children is what is at stake. Children are both the primary purpose (i.e., to beget and educate children) and the chief blessing of marriage...and it would be a great disadvantage to them to choose a woman who does not know what she ought in order to form them into good adults.

:)

03/15/2013 new

I don't find it humorous, I find it sad.

I guess you could believe that the Pope speaks infalliably on issues of doctrine, yet you reject that doctrine.

That you know it is true and directly from God, but you don't care.

You could say that about the Ten Commandments. We know those are infalliable, but everyone rejects those too.

There are those who through some twisted logic, maintain that Humana Vitae was not infalliably issued (which it was). But some twist it all up to say it was not, and therefore, they can decide on their own about contraception.

So it's not unusual, and thus all the more sad.

03/15/2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: I, too, have noticed this and found it a bit humorous. :) I don't have a tendency to excuse...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

I, too, have noticed this and found it a bit humorous. :) I don't have a tendency to excuse it so readily by claiming that ignorance of what a person ought to know is neutral (since it's not).

Anyway, you'll hear all sorts of excuses for those members who do not assent to all of what we are bound to believe. The most common reason I've heard for choosing the "no" option on the contraception front is the most comical. Some women actually believe that if they take ortho tri cyclen lo, methotrexate, or other drug (with a common side-effect of being contraceptive or abortifacient) to address a real pathology that they are dissenting from the teachings of the Church. That is plain silliness...as it's plain to see that it is only dissent from the teachings of the Church to take these medications for the intention either to frustrate nature or murder one's child.

As an adult, we're bound to think and live as adults and leave behind the things of a child. Part of being an adult is knowing what one ought to know both to do one's temporal duty and come to salvation. It is not a neutral thing to neglect this, though many do.

Remember when looking for a future spouse that you should see him or her as the type for your potential children. If you would not want children like the woman in all ways at whom you are looking, then pass by the woman. Marriage is not about growing into good adulthood. An individual needs to be a good adult first, then look into the vocation of marriage, since the salvation of children is what is at stake. Children are both the primary purpose (i.e., to beget and educate children) and the chief blessing of marriage...and it would be a great disadvantage to them to choose a woman who does not know what she ought in order to form them into good adults.

:)

--hide--

If only all Catholics thought the same way we would not be in this crisis of faith currently...

03/15/2013 new

(Quote) John-324285 said: If only all Catholics thought the same way we would not be in this crisis of faith current...
(Quote) John-324285 said:

If only all Catholics thought the same way we would not be in this crisis of faith currently...

--hide--

All Catholics believe the same based upon universal rule of faith...hence the appellation "catholic." There's too much loose talk using the word "catholic" as if it has no meaning, just a denotation of membership in a specific club into which one was initiated by Baptism and Confirmation, to which one pays periodic dues, establishing the right to use the term for one's self.

It's not quite like that, though.

03/15/2013 new

Chelsea, that is interesting, I totally agree, but add that I was just doing some in depth reading on excommunication, and the concept is that once baptized a Catholic, you are a Catholic, no matter how recalcitrant or obstinately opposing you might be. Untiil you are excommunicated (or seek to excommunicate yourself, through request or deed), you are "one of us."

Posts 1 - 10 of 22