Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

What are your plans for this summer? This is not an official CM event, not a Lourdes-planned event. No travel agency connections - you book your tickets and arrange travel, dates, etc. BUT, it's very doable and great opportunity to meet some fellow english speaking Catholics and do Our Lady's work!!!! This is the best 'vacation' you could imagine

I'm in the process of planning my third "esatge" for the Hospitalité Notre Dame de Lourdes in France. It's a pilgrimage, but so much more. Each year more than 6 million people visit Lourdesin hopes of physical and spiritual healing. Many are able-bodied laity, religious and priests. However, thousands upon thousands are sick or disabled. These pilgrims stay at the Accueil Notre-Dame, a sort of hotel-hospital, where each bed has an alarm bell and each unit has a doctor on call. All their needs are provided for by approximately 8,500 volunteers that offer their time to Our Lady and those that need assistance. As they say: At Lourdes, the sick and elderly are king.

It is typical for a volunteer estage to last between 7 and 15 days, and many volunteers return each year (though the latter is not an obligation or commitment). It is also common for volunteers to return at roughly the same time each year so that the become extremely close friends with the other members of their Service. I am a member of St. Joseph's Service and each summer my responsibilities are:

-reception of sick pilgrims at the station or airport on arrival and departure and transferring them to and from the centres where they are accommodated

-organisation and marshalling of ceremonies maintaining an orderly and prayerful atmosphere at the Grotto

-welcoming all pilgrims at the entrance to the Baths helping pilgrims who make their Act of Faith through the Sign of Water inside the men’s baths

Each person is placed in a service, depending on gender and the grotto's needs, and each service has different responsabilities. My service is largely responsible for heavy lifting :) The various Services are found here:
http://en.lourdes-france.org/hndl/services

I usually make my estage between the end of June and the beginning of July. This year I am endeavouring to start my estage on Saturday, June 22nd. I would love to introduce you to the Hospitalité. If you're interested in Notre Dame de
Lourdes generally or if you would like to volunteer at the same time this year as I do, please contact me. It's hard to explain how wonderful Lourdes is and the service more specifically. I actually get butterflies when I think about being there and I can wholehearted say that I don't think there is anything else I would rather do each summer.

So if you're interested, please send me a message and maybe we can make plans as a group.

In Christ through Our Lady of
Lourdes,

Derek

Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Theodoric-68091 said: What are your plans for this summer? This is not an official CM event, not a Lourdes-pla...
(Quote) Theodoric-68091 said:

What are your plans for this summer? This is not an official CM event, not a Lourdes-planned event. No travel agency connections - you book your tickets and arrange travel, dates, etc. BUT, it's very doable and great opportunity to meet some fellow english speaking Catholics and do Our Lady's work!!!! This is the best 'vacation' you could imagine

I'm in the process of planning my third "esatge" for the Hospitalité Notre Dame de Lourdes in France. It's a pilgrimage, but so much more. Each year more than 6 million people visit Lourdesin hopes of physical and spiritual healing. Many are able-bodied laity, religious and priests. However, thousands upon thousands are sick or disabled. These pilgrims stay at the Accueil Notre-Dame, a sort of hotel-hospital, where each bed has an alarm bell and each unit has a doctor on call. All their needs are provided for by approximately 8,500 volunteers that offer their time to Our Lady and those that need assistance. As they say: At Lourdes, the sick and elderly are king.

It is typical for a volunteer estage to last between 7 and 15 days, and many volunteers return each year (though the latter is not an obligation or commitment). It is also common for volunteers to return at roughly the same time each year so that the become extremely close friends with the other members of their Service. I am a member of St. Joseph's Service and each summer my responsibilities are:

-reception of sick pilgrims at the station or airport on arrival and departure and transferring them to and from the centres where they are accommodated

-organisation and marshalling of ceremonies maintaining an orderly and prayerful atmosphere at the Grotto

-welcoming all pilgrims at the entrance to the Baths helping pilgrims who make their Act of Faith through the Sign of Water inside the men’s baths

Each person is placed in a service, depending on gender and the grotto's needs, and each service has different responsabilities. My service is largely responsible for heavy lifting :) The various Services are found here:

I usually make my estage between the end of June and the beginning of July. This year I am endeavouring to start my estage on Saturday, June 22nd. I would love to introduce you to the Hospitalité. If you're interested in Notre Dame de
Lourdes generally or if you would like to volunteer at the same time this year as I do, please contact me. It's hard to explain how wonderful Lourdes is and the service more specifically. I actually get butterflies when I think about being there and I can wholehearted say that I don't think there is anything else I would rather do each summer.

So if you're interested, please send me a message and maybe we can make plans as a group.

Lourdes,

Derek

--hide--

Hi Derek, Thank you for posting this. I just tried to go to your link and it didn't work. Perhaps you could check it and repost it.

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Hi Derek, Thank you for posting this. I just tried to go to your link and it didn't...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Hi Derek, Thank you for posting this. I just tried to go to your link and it didn't work. Perhaps you could check it and repost it.

--hide--
If you copy and past up to /services, it will work.

Mar 15th 2013 new

This is a wonderful opportunity to go to Lourdes and be of service to the Lord! Isn't anyone interested? Unfortunately, I will be packing to move when this takes place, but I may do it next summer.

Mar 16th 2013 new
Lourdes is an amazing place. I go each year with a group called ACROSS who take a coach of sick and disabled VIPs. It certainly means more going there when you go in a role of service. I hope you enjoy it again this year :)
Mar 16th 2013 new

I'd like to go to Lourdes some day. Although my summer schedule allows for it, it sounds very expensive and is not something I can afford at the present moment. What you do sounds so amazing. God bless you.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Theodoric-68091 said: What are your plans for this summer? This is not an official CM event, not a Lourdes-pla...
(Quote) Theodoric-68091 said:

Lourdes,

Derek

--hide--

Just out of curiosity, about how much does this trip usually cost?

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marita-847688 said: Just out of curiosity, about how much does this trip usually cost?
(Quote) Marita-847688 said:

Just out of curiosity, about how much does this trip usually cost?

--hide--

Here's a link to information on a pilgrimage to Lourdes and Fatima in October that may help:

www.syversentouring.com

Mar 21st 2013 new

HI Derek:

I want in! I'll go if I'm in Europe by then. Do tell us about the estimated expenses, please, since most of us need a budget to embark in such an endeavour. I looked at the website, but couldn't find anything of the sort.

I know I won't have any problem getting a couple of letters of recommendation from priests.

I'm sure MamaMaria will guide me in this direction if suited for me.

Praying

Mari

Posts 1 - 10 of 10