Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 16th 2013 new

Rachel, Thanks for providing the link. What a beautiful story; I already feel a spiritual connection to Pope Francis. So happy for our church and for the world that this humble man was chosen to lead us.

Mar 16th 2013 new

Why does the Pope change his name ?

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Jason-55847 said: Why does the Pope change his name ?
(Quote) Jason-55847 said:

Why does the Pope change his name ?

--hide--

Why the name change? While there doesn’t appear to be a written rule barring Popes from using their real names, it’s been de facto Papal law since the mid-16th century to switch. Currently, it’s the very first question the new Pope is asked after being elected, while still ensconcedin the Sistine Chapel.
The practice of name-switching appears to have started in 533, when a Pope with a pagan name–Mercurius–was elected. Having deemed that unsuitable for obvious reasons, he switched to John II. Between his and Marcellus’s reign, some Popes kept their given names, and some didn’t.

Mar 16th 2013 new

oops -- meant to start by saying that the last Pope to use his official name was Marcello Cervini degli Spannochi, who became Marcellus II.

Mar 16th 2013 new

Thanks Rachel

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: www.youtube.com
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

www.youtube.com

--hide--
I was always under the impression, it was because Jesus Changed Peters name from Simon??? I'm pretty sure they taught that in Catholic school when I was in grade school.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: I was always under the impression, it was because Jesus Changed Peters name from Simon??? I'...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

I was always under the impression, it was because Jesus Changed Peters name from Simon??? I'm pretty sure they taught that in Catholic school when I was in grade school.

--hide--
Here is the reasoning behind it and why with scripture to back it.www.catholicbible101.com

Mar 17th 2013 new

While on the topic of name changing, why don't Americans use the Latin name Franciscus instead of changing it to Francis? scratchchin

Posts 1 - 9 of 9