Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Brian: I did not realize any of that. I understand now why he was not invited.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Brian: I did not realize any of that. I understand now why he was not invited.

You should know that the areas in NJ and NY that were hit are far worse than New Orleans was from Katrina.
And none of the money got here yet for those folks who are homeless. It is a sad state of emergency for
those people. And it is ongoing. The infrastructure they are talking about is the subway stations and
the roads that were wiped out. They are closed.

It would be better to give money to Americans though to help them out than giving it to a foreign country.

Have you heard that much of the money collected for Haiti's disaster never reached its destination?

--hide--

There are still a lot of people in the New Orleans area who are still waiting for help. How long has that been now?

A friend of mine origanlly from there still has family there. His family finally got the needed help last year.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Brian: I did not realize any of that. I understand now why he was not invited.

You should know that the areas in NJ and NY that were hit are far worse than New Orleans was from Katrina.
And none of the money got here yet for those folks who are homeless. It is a sad state of emergency for
those people. And it is ongoing. The infrastructure they are talking about is the subway stations and

It would be better to give money to Americans though to help them out than giving it to a foreign country.

Have you heard that much of the money collected for Haiti's disaster never reached its destination?

--hide--

It's no secret the costs of Sandy were significantly higher than that of Katrina. Still, the long term infrastructure projects had no specifics behind the requests. These include proposing when a project is to be started,the assumed improvements and projected completion. When a state simply says something to the effect of "...long term reinforcements and improvements..." it means nothing more than a money pit at the taxpayers expense.

The people that are homeless are a separate issue. Many of those housing claims are being handled through the national flood insurance program. NY and NJ have a large enough population that many people around the country know of someone that has been affected by that disaster. I have two friends who were displaced from the storm. It's hard to pinpoint what's happening on a daily basis because it's a moving target. The overriding problem is that most people who were, or currently are covered under the national flood insurance plan, which was consolidated from several different plans after hurricane Andrew 20 years ago, are underinsured. The national plan only covers a maximum of $250K worth of property insurance and $60K worth of personal belongings. That's a far cry from the million dollar home valuations many of these owners had in the affected regions, and is significantly different in policy terms from what people in other parts of the country purchase as full home value replacement cost.

But when we get to this point, it's important to remember that everyone blamed Bush for the delay in the payout from Katrina. Two things are at play. First, FEMA and every insurance company out there, do not staff full time employees to handle a disaster of this magnatude on a real time basis. If they did, the cost of insurance would be tens of thousands of dollars a year to the individual. I believe there were over 230,000 claims in NJ alone. That means you have to mobilize temporary adjusters, provide training, and each of those adjusters has to work through whatever guildelines FEMA provides, and the terms imposed by the insurance policies each homeowner had. A report issued last year by the DHS inspector general estimated that at least $643 million had been wrongly distributed to victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005, to 160,000 households but still had not been recouped by the agency, even though it was aware of the apparent payment mistakes or fraud. The investigators found that FEMA was often too focused on simply giving out money and not on thoroughly checking to make sure the applicants had actually suffered as a result of the storm. As a result, checks have gone to owners of vacant lots, and rental assistance has been sent to families living in FEMA trailers.

It's not a pretty situation, but it still doesn't take away from what Christie said, in blaming the Republicans for only paying out $20B for the immediate short term needs and holding up the $40B of unspecified long term goals that they are surely going to come back to the table again down the road after they grease the palms of the local contractors.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: There are still a lot of people in the New Orleans area who are still waiting for help. H...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

There are still a lot of people in the New Orleans area who are still waiting for help. How long has that been now?

A friend of mine origanlly from there still has family there. His family finally got the needed help last year.

--hide--

I am sure there are plenty of people who are waiting for help in New Orleans. Things like this take a long time.
Maybe the paperwork isn't done. Who knows?

The areas up here are so densely populated, there had to be many more families affected. And when the cold
settled in, it was dangerous for the people who tried to ride it out in their soggy, mold infested, homes where
robbery became rampant from the scavengers. And the NYC subway system, 100 years old now, had millions
of dollars worth of damage. The tracks and stations were underwater. It really looked like Armageddon. Yet,
they only considered the financial damage a little over what New Orleans suffered. That just cannot be.
Unless rebuilding the retaining walls to the Lake was extremely costly.

Believe me, I was so close to all this disaster, it made me so very thankful that where I lived escaped that
horror. You never know, you can be minutes away from loosing everything. That was God's plan for so
many people.

I was wondering if you know whether the walls to keep the lake intact on Lake Pontchartrain were really built
inferiorly, or is that just the latest liberal solution to everything that goes wrong. I don't think the Mississippi
really should have been cordoned off at that point. It was a real feat to try to change the course of that
river.

I just recently heard that theory about something else, besides the World Trade Center (that was supposedly
made out of inferior products). I can't remember what it was, but I am detecting a trend in "causes."

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-699857 said: It's no secret the costs of Sandy were significantly higher than that of Katrina....
(Quote) Brian-699857 said:

It's no secret the costs of Sandy were significantly higher than that of Katrina. Still, the long term infrastructure projects had no specifics behind the requests. These include proposing when a project is to be started,the assumed improvements and projected completion. When a state simply says something to the effect of "...long term reinforcements and improvements..." it means nothing more than a money pit at the taxpayers expense.

The people that are homeless are a separate issue. Many of those housing claims are being handled through the national flood insurance program. NY and NJ have a large enough population that many people around the country know of someone that has been affected by that disaster. I have two friends who were displaced from the storm. It's hard to pinpoint what's happening on a daily basis because it's a moving target. The overriding problem is that most people who were, or currently are covered under the national flood insurance plan, which was consolidated from several different plans after hurricane Andrew 20 years ago, are underinsured. The national plan only covers a maximum of $250K worth of property insurance and $60K worth of personal belongings. That's a far cry from the million dollar home valuations many of these owners had in the affected regions, and is significantly different in policy terms from what people in other parts of the country purchase as full home value replacement cost.

But when we get to this point, it's important to remember that everyone blamed Bush for the delay in the payout from Katrina. Two things are at play. First, FEMA and every insurance company out there, do not staff full time employees to handle a disaster of this magnatude on a real time basis. If they did, the cost of insurance would be tens of thousands of dollars a year to the individual. I believe there were over 230,000 claims in NJ alone. That means you have to mobilize temporary adjusters, provide training, and each of those adjusters has to work through whatever guildelines FEMA provides, and the terms imposed by the insurance policies each homeowner had. A report issued last year by the DHS inspector general estimated that at least $643 million had been wrongly distributed to victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005, to 160,000 households but still had not been recouped by the agency, even though it was aware of the apparent payment mistakes or fraud. The investigators found that FEMA was often too focused on simply giving out money and not on thoroughly checking to make sure the applicants had actually suffered as a result of the storm. As a result, checks have gone to owners of vacant lots, and rental assistance has been sent to families living in FEMA trailers.

It's not a pretty situation, but it still doesn't take away from what Christie said, in blaming the Republicans for only paying out $20B for the immediate short term needs and holding up the $40B of unspecified long term goals that they are surely going to come back to the table again down the road after they grease the palms of the local contractors.

--hide--

You sure did a good jot in explaining what went wrong with the many storms. Since I have not been involved, I really
don't know. But I am not surprised that so much corruption occurred.

Let me ask you something I am not sure about in your explanation. Is there only "National Flood Insurance" now, or can
people still get their own insurance?

There definitely were million-dollar homes destroyed from Sandy, but the real catastrophe involves the blue collar workers
and Government works (many cops and firemen) who lived in the small homes and Apartments in Queens and NJ. There
are so many teams of volunteers who have been helping them. Thank goodness.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: You sure did a good jot in explaining what went wrong with the many storms. Since I ha...

You sure did a good jot in explaining what went wrong with the many storms. Since I have not been involved, I really
don't know. But I am not surprised that so much corruption occurred.

Let me ask you something I am not sure about in your explanation. Is there only "National Flood Insurance" now, or can
people still get their own insurance?

There definitely were million-dollar homes destroyed from Sandy, but the real catastrophe involves the blue collar workers
and Government works (many cops and firemen) who lived in the small homes and Apartments in Queens and NJ. There
are so many teams of volunteers who have been helping them. Thank goodness.

--hide--

Anyone can buy flood insurance from several sources, but the insurance agencies have really hiked the policy premiums over the past 20 years because of the recurring number of claims from people living in high risk zones. I remember 2001 which was a very active hurricane season and the insurance companies started doubling their flood insurance rates because of the number of claims. It's terribly unfortunate, but too many people either never reviewed their old policies over the years, or there were those who just decided to roll the dice to keep the lower premiums. It's a mixed bag.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-699857 said: Anyone can buy flood insurance from several sources, but the insurance agencies have ...
(Quote) Brian-699857 said:

Anyone can buy flood insurance from several sources, but the insurance agencies have really hiked the policy premiums over the past 20 years because of the recurring number of claims from people living in high risk zones. I remember 2001 which was a very active hurricane season and the insurance companies started doubling their flood insurance rates because of the number of claims. It's terribly unfortunate, but too many people either never reviewed their old policies over the years, or there were those who just decided to roll the dice to keep the lower premiums. It's a mixed bag.

--hide--

Now I understand. It has to be expensive to get flood insurance, especially in a high risk area.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I am sure there are plenty of people who are waiting for help in New Orleans. Things l...

I am sure there are plenty of people who are waiting for help in New Orleans. Things like this take a long time.
Maybe the paperwork isn't done. Who knows?

The areas up here are so densely populated, there had to be many more families affected. And when the cold
settled in, it was dangerous for the people who tried to ride it out in their soggy, mold infested, homes where
robbery became rampant from the scavengers. And the NYC subway system, 100 years old now, had millions
of dollars worth of damage. The tracks and stations were underwater. It really looked like Armageddon. Yet,
they only considered the financial damage a little over what New Orleans suffered. That just cannot be.
Unless rebuilding the retaining walls to the Lake was extremely costly.

Believe me, I was so close to all this disaster, it made me so very thankful that where I lived escaped that
horror. You never know, you can be minutes away from loosing everything. That was God's plan for so
many people.

I was wondering if you know whether the walls to keep the lake intact on Lake Pontchartrain were really built
inferiorly, or is that just the latest liberal solution to everything that goes wrong. I don't think the Mississippi
really should have been cordoned off at that point. It was a real feat to try to change the course of that
river.

I just recently heard that theory about something else, besides the World Trade Center (that was supposedly
made out of inferior products). I can't remember what it was, but I am detecting a trend in "causes."

--hide--

I don't know the answer to that question.

Media reports at the time stated that the Corps of Army Engineers had been asking for funds for many years, through both liberal and Conservative administrations, to improve them. The reports also indicated that when they were built, they were not what the Corps had planned to do.

Whether that meant or implied that the work was inferior was never really spelled out.

We need to consider the fact that the area is hurricane prone and what was there adequately served the need for a long time through many hurricanes. The human tendency is to say, if it works don't waste time and money trying to make it better. No matter how well you may build things like that, sooner or later, nature will throw something at it that it was never built to stand.

Mar 17th 2013 new

--hide--
...and yet it isn't reported by the media who bashed Bush when he really did do all he could. Also, haven't heard the media report on the pres and Michelle's 7 million dollar Christmas vacation to Hawaii...how that money could have been used to help huricane victims....truly I get SO physically sick when I think of how this president and his wife are like Imerialist....would make a good thread. Truly, even the English royal family don't cost that much in a year....that country is more democrat then we are in that respect only though. We have monarchs running our country at the expense of the people.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: ...and yet it isn't reported by the media who bashed Bush when he really did do all he could...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

...and yet it isn't reported by the media who bashed Bush when he really did do all he could. Also, haven't heard the media report on the pres and Michelle's 7 million dollar Christmas vacation to Hawaii...how that money could have been used to help huricane victims....truly I get SO physically sick when I think of how this president and his wife are like Imerialist....would make a good thread. Truly, even the English royal family don't cost that much in a year....that country is more democrat then we are in that respect only though. We have monarchs running our country at the expense of the people.

--hide--
...and I'm sure everyone knows I mean Imperialist not the typo. This administration is an imperialism for sure.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: ...and I'm sure everyone knows I mean Imperialist not the typo. This administration is an im...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

...and I'm sure everyone knows I mean Imperialist not the typo. This administration is an imperialism for sure.

--hide--

Yes, the Obama's are the new American Royalty. Who would have thought?

Posts 11 - 20 of 62