Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I am asking you to please share what home page ...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I am asking you to please share what home page you use and why. Currently the way my yahoo page is reporting the news or placing headlines in my face daily causes me to feel an assault in so many ways on my mind.

Obviously we know that they choose what to report- and this affects everyone who goes to that page.

I hope this is the right room to ask this question since it is about Current Events and feeling an onslaught and even an avalanche of very negatively reported news and news I don't even need.

How do CM members deal with this? What home page do you use and how do I change mine?

I've set my Mac to open in tabs, usually around 8-12. A variety of news sources, some foreign- necessary to be truly informed, the Cult News Network, Facebook, Nat Geo, CM, Catholic Pulse, etc.

--hide--

My hairdresser is from Lebanon and states that he has to watch foreign news to get the real story of what is going on back home.

Mar 17th 2013 new

The Drudge Report.

If the world is going to end, Drudge will have it first.

Its huge, 23 million hits per day, 922 million per month, 11 billion per year.

It is up to the minute news from all over the world.

Matt Drudge leans right, so it is more truthful than most places.

Tons of useful stuff on page "2".

Drudge is interested in earthquakes and volcanoes...I like that.

etc.

Mar 17th 2013 new

I have used Refdesk as my Home Page since 1997 or thereabouts. It is a Library unto itself. I once asked a librarian if she knew of Refdesk.

Her answer..."That darn site is gonna put me out of a job".

http://www.refdesk.com

INTRODUCTION AND TOUR OF REFDESK

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves,
or we know where we can find information upon it."

- Samuel Johnson

VISION STATEMENT: Since 1995, Refdesk is a free and family-friendly web site that indexes and reviews quality, credible, and current web-based resources.

The Internet is the world's largest library containing millions of books, artifacts, images, documents, maps, etc. There is but one small problem in this library: everything is scattered about on the floor, with growing hordes of confused and bewildered users frantically shifting through the maze, occasionally crying out, "Great Scott, look at what I just found!" Enter refdesk.

By trade I am a Family Therapist, a clinically trained, MSW social worker. I am the first born - three months before Pearl Harbor - child of a librarian who probably knew the Dewey Decimal Classification before I knew how to walk :-). My mind likes to create and maintain order. In June 1995, I began refdesk in an attempt to bring some semblance of order to the chaos of the Internet. Somewhere along the way, refdesk became my passion, my source of bliss. I tookJoseph Campbell'sadvice and followed my bliss. Amazing adventures have ensued, along with meeting hundreds of people world wide. Such is the nature of the Internet. We are next door neighbors, you and I. My son, Matthew, is editor of the successfulDrudge Report.Matt calls himself a "Citizen Reporter," and his work has come to symbolize First Amendment issues on the Net.

Refdesk has three goals: (1) fast access, (2) intuitive and easy navigation and (3) comprehensive content, rationally indexed. The prevailing philosophy here is: simplicity. "Simplicity is the natural result of profound thought." And, very difficult to achieve.

For an overview of refdesk's content and organization, start with Welcome to Refdesk and Site Map. Each day on the Net begins anew with a visit to First Things First. To stay current with additions to refdesk, see New Sites Added during the week. Other features include Indispensable Sites and Editor's Picks. Recognition for refdesk is at Awards and Reviews. Feedback from site visitors is available at Comments and Testimonials. For beginners to the Internet, aka newbies, start with Internet Beginner's Guides & Tutorialsand Internet Help. Refdesk's database is on three levels: quick, studied and deep. For thumbnail snapshots: Fast Facts, Quick Reference / Research, andFacts Subject Index. For a more studied approach:Newspapers - USA & Worldwide,Search Engine Resources, Internet Help, and Writing Web Documents. For an in-depth exploration: Facts Encyclopedia with over seventy volumes of indexed subjects and Facts Subject Index with twenty-four subject categories. And, since the vast majority of Internet users prefer 'surfing' from one site to another, refdesk presents: Daily Almanac,Indispensable Links, Weather Links, Fast Facts, Select Sites of the Day, Best of the Net, andWindows Operating Systems Resources. For those seeking fun and diversion:Fun Stuff,Free Stuff,My Download Page, andDevices and Gadgets on the Net. Finally, in response to many requests, aFAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page is available as isEditor's Picks andTop 15 Refdesk Pages.

Please readDisclaimer on External Links.

I want to thank refdesk's 'Volunteer Editors' who spend countless hours checking for broken links. Thank you very much!

Content and designsuggestionsare always welcomed and encouraged.

Bob Drudge
Photo by Joey Gardner for the New York Times

Mar 17th 2013 new

I believe Bob Drudge is Matt Drudge's father.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-755074 said: I have used Refdesk as my Home Page since 1997 or thereabouts. It is a Library unto itself. I once ...
(Quote) Tom-755074 said:

I have used Refdesk as my Home Page since 1997 or thereabouts. It is a Library unto itself. I once asked a librarian if she knew of Refdesk.

Her answer..."That darn site is gonna put me out of a job".

http://www.refdesk.com

INTRODUCTION AND TOUR OF REFDESK

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves,
or we know where we can find information upon it."

- Samuel Johnson

VISION STATEMENT: Since 1995, Refdesk is a free and family-friendly web site that indexes and reviews quality, credible, and current web-based resources.

The Internet is the world's largest library containing millions of books, artifacts, images, documents, maps, etc. There is but one small problem in this library: everything is scattered about on the floor, with growing hordes of confused and bewildered users frantically shifting through the maze, occasionally crying out, "Great Scott, look at what I just found!" Enter refdesk.

By trade I am a Family Therapist, a clinically trained, MSW social worker. I am the first born - three months before Pearl Harbor - child of a librarian who probably knew the Dewey Decimal Classification before I knew how to walk :-). My mind likes to create and maintain order. In June 1995, I began refdesk in an attempt to bring some semblance of order to the chaos of the Internet. Somewhere along the way, refdesk became my passion, my source of bliss. I tookJoseph Campbell'sadvice and followed my bliss. Amazing adventures have ensued, along with meeting hundreds of people world wide. Such is the nature of the Internet. We are next door neighbors, you and I. My son, Matthew, is editor of the successfulDrudge Report.Matt calls himself a "Citizen Reporter," and his work has come to symbolize First Amendment issues on the Net.

Refdesk has three goals: (1) fast access, (2) intuitive and easy navigation and (3) comprehensive content, rationally indexed. The prevailing philosophy here is: simplicity. "Simplicity is the natural result of profound thought." And, very difficult to achieve.

For an overview of refdesk's content and organization, start with Welcome to Refdesk and Site Map. Each day on the Net begins anew with a visit to First Things First. To stay current with additions to refdesk, see New Sites Added during the week. Other features include Indispensable Sites and Editor's Picks. Recognition for refdesk is at Awards and Reviews. Feedback from site visitors is available at Comments and Testimonials. For beginners to the Internet, aka newbies, start with Internet Beginner's Guides & Tutorialsand Internet Help. Refdesk's database is on three levels: quick, studied and deep. For thumbnail snapshots: Fast Facts, Quick Reference / Research, andFacts Subject Index. For a more studied approach:Newspapers - USA & Worldwide,Search Engine Resources, Internet Help, and Writing Web Documents. For an in-depth exploration: Facts Encyclopedia with over seventy volumes of indexed subjects and Facts Subject Index with twenty-four subject categories. And, since the vast majority of Internet users prefer 'surfing' from one site to another, refdesk presents: Daily Almanac,Indispensable Links, Weather Links, Fast Facts, Select Sites of the Day, Best of the Net, andWindows Operating Systems Resources. For those seeking fun and diversion:Fun Stuff,Free Stuff,My Download Page, andDevices and Gadgets on the Net. Finally, in response to many requests, aFAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page is available as isEditor's Picks andTop 15 Refdesk Pages.

Please readDisclaimer on External Links.

I want to thank refdesk's 'Volunteer Editors' who spend countless hours checking for broken links. Thank you very much!

Content and designsuggestionsare always welcomed and encouraged.

Bob Drudge
Photo by Joey Gardner for the New York Times

--hide--

My being an MSW and in the same trade as the founder, this may be the indicator of this as the right direction for me. I don't like recieving all of this unimportant, frivolous gossip on pop stars and negative news every morning on my home page. We will see.

Mar 17th 2013 new

I use http://www.spiritdaily.com as my homepage, uplifting Catholic news

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I use http://www.spiritdaily.com as my homepage, uplifting Catholic news
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

--hide--

I am also considering limiting my news to something like this. I have had it with pop culture and gossip. I don't care anymore especially since I feel the media hates Catholics and wants to discredit us and our moral choices at all turns.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I use http://www.spiritdaily.com as my homepage, uplifting Catholic news
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

--hide--

A word of caution: unless something has changed dramatically in the past several years, be very careful of SpiritDaily.com. It was (and may still be) somewhat past even the SSPX in being critical of the Holy Father and the Church. Uplifting is the last word I would use to describe it. Be they right or wrong on matters of theology, the problem was the complete absence of charity in most of their postings.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I am also considering limiting my news to something like this. I have had it with pop cult...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I am also considering limiting my news to something like this. I have had it with pop culture and gossip. I don't care anymore especially since I feel the media hates Catholics and wants to discredit us and our moral choices at all turns.

--hide--

For Catholic news, try newadvent.org or the ewtnnews.com.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: A word of caution: unless something has changed dramatically in the past several years, b...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

A word of caution: unless something has changed dramatically in the past several years, be very careful of SpiritDaily.com. It was (and may still be) somewhat past even the SSPX in being critical of the Holy Father and the Church. Uplifting is the last word I would use to describe it. Be they right or wrong on matters of theology, the problem was the complete absence of charity in most of their postings.

--hide--

Thank you for noticing that, I realized later that uplifting wasn't the best word to use, I was thinking uplifting for something else (so I had the word on my mind and typed it without realy realizing it... oops) but I guess I should of more used Catholic news in general.

Posts 21 - 30 of 36