Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or another. As I type this I am trying not to look at the keys, but it is difficult. I have a basic idea where the letter keys are, but the shift key and punctuation keys are driving me nuts!! Just typing this (the correct way, not looking at keys)took a long time. And, ok, I cheated and looked...otherwise this would take me all day. People have been telling me the only way to learn is to not look at the keys. And I haven't even gotten to the number keys yet. And on a computer of course, there are the functions keys also.....

I am trying to get some practice in before this class starts. When I type CORRECTLY, my speed SLOWS DOWN.(maybe 8 WPM) When I look at the keys, my speed GOES UP. (maybe 15-20)

So what happens if a co-worker needs something typed up by, say, 3 o'clock that day, and you have other things that need to get done the same day? I probably would pound the thing out while looking at the keys so that I would get it done ON TIME and WITHOUT MISTAKES. If I typed the document while not looking at the keys, it would take me all day!!

Having a learning disability doesn't help either.

It drives me crazy when I keep being one key off, too. Were people drunk when they developed the typing keyboard? Why aren't the letters in alphabetical order? And the punctuation symbols...some are grouped together, some aren't. Am I the only one on the planet with this problem? Any pointers? Thanks! hissyfit hissyfit hissyfit hissyfit hissyfit

03/17/2013 new

Hate to tell you this. It is tedious and not fun at all. Get yourself a primer typing drill book from the bookstore, and drill, drill, drill. Set aside about an hour a day and go through your drills starting on page 1. It will teach you to memorize the keyboard without looking at it. Then, as you are developing your skill, your speed will increase as you learn to spell in your head the word you are typing. You will learn not to type the word, but to type it's spelling. That is the accuracy part. Now, it's been a long time since I was in school, but I am not aware of any new shortcuts for developing the skill.

03/17/2013 new

Victoria,

You are not the only one who has trouble with typing. I know many people (many of them my co-workers, and we type all day) who look at the keys while typing or type with only 2-4 fingers instead of using all 10 properly. Taking the time to learn how to type correctly - using correct fingers for each key without looking at the keyboard - is worth your time, I think. Even though you type faster while looking at the keys now, if you continue this way, your speed will not improve. If you take the time to practice without looking at the keys, you may start out with 8 wpm now, but eventually you will improve and get past the 20 wpm.

I learned to type in high school, so I wonder how learning this skill at an older age affects the results? I don't know. I'm sure it's harder, just like learning other skills like a new language or ice skating! Ice Skating

So be prepared for a bit slower progress, but I think it will be worth it at the end! Good luck!

03/17/2013 new

(Quote) Victoria-691000 said: Were people drunk when they developed the typing keyboard? Why aren't the letters in alpha...
(Quote) Victoria-691000 said:

Were people drunk when they developed the typing keyboard? Why aren't the letters in alphabetical order?

--hide--

This is really funny, Victoria, because according to the story I've heard the current keyboard (QWERTY) actually puts the keys in about the most illogical places possible. Here's the story. Back when secretaries used typewriters, they got very very fast at typing. In fact, the secretaries typed so fast that the hammers from the keys kept getting jammed. In an attempt to keep the typewriters free from jamming, a new, illogical keyboard was set up to slow them down. And, there you have it! They QWERTY keyboard.

And don't worry. I used to be painfully slow. I have continued to practice because I have needed it for school and work, and now I am quite fast. Memorizing the keys will just happen with practice.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Katie

03/17/2013 new

I learnt at school, and it was hard. I have poor hand-eye co-ordination, memory and I'm dyslexic too boot, so obviously I kept looking, which of course frustrated my teacher, so she covered my hands with a bib. Much to my embarrassment and the amusment of my class mates.

End of the year, I had hit 80 words a minute, they were still on 30.

Its the best skill I've ever picked up, especially since on a good day I can hit 120, and all without looking! You can get there! If I can do it, anyone can!

03/17/2013 new
When I was in school, only girls took typing because ony secretaries were expected to be able to type. How wrong "they" were! I never took a typing class and I never learned touch typing. I type with one and a half fingers; I use my left finger to shift and for the "a" key. Others have remarked that I type rather fast for someone who looks at the keyboard.

What I have noticed, however, as I age is that I seem to be making more mistakes for some reason or another, and I have found that rather frustrating. Some day we'll all have Bluetooth sensors implanted in our heads, making keyboards obsolete, so there's hope.
03/17/2013 new

I took typing in high school from a sister who taught from a record (remember those). It was a personal typing class. The record had music and a voice commanding us to type certain letters to a beat. AAA SSS DDD FFF Enter Repeat.

Sister would come around around with a ruler and slapped who looked at our hands. I still type with pretty well considering. irked laughing

Hang in there.

03/17/2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I learnt at school, and it was hard. I have poor hand-eye co-ordination, memory and I'm dysle...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I learnt at school, and it was hard. I have poor hand-eye co-ordination, memory and I'm dyslexic too boot, so obviously I kept looking, which of course frustrated my teacher, so she covered my hands with a bib. Much to my embarrassment and the amusment of my class mates.

End of the year, I had hit 80 words a minute, they were still on 30.

Its the best skill I've ever picked up, especially since on a good day I can hit 120, and all without looking! You can get there! If I can do it, anyone can!

--hide--

Naomi,

I took two semesters of typing in high school as electives. I was laughed at because in those days, women took those courses knowing most of them would do some type of secretarial work. The keyboard was blank so you had to learn where each key was located. Since then, if I look at a keyboard, I foul up the letters.

I started on an old Royal manual typewriter. Sometimes the keys would all bunch together and depending on your touch, some letters could be darker than others. Since I made an "A" using the manual, I was allowed to take Typing 2 which graduated you to an electric. At the time, I felt so proud of myself. The sister who taught those courses could type between 90 and 95 on the manual and 120 words per minute on the electric. Those two semesters of typing have been so beneficial for most of my life.

In answering the OP's question of why the keys are in that order - my understanding is when we start with our 5th finger on the "a" on the second row from the bottom and our 5th finger on the "'" (apostrophe) is because those are the most frequent letters used and as such, it is easier to reach the other keys. That is my understanding but I have been wrong before - many times.

Blessings, Praying hug rose

Leon

03/17/2013 new

(Quote) Victoria-691000 said: I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or ...

I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or another. As I type this I am trying not to look at the keys, but it is difficult. I have a basic idea where the letter keys are, but the shift key and punctuation keys are driving me nuts!! Just typing this (the correct way, not looking at keys)took a long time. And, ok, I cheated and looked...otherwise this would take me all day. People have been telling me the only way to learn is to not look at the keys. And I haven't even gotten to the number keys yet. And on a computer of course, there are the functions keys also.....

I am trying to get some practice in before this class starts. When I type CORRECTLY, my speed SLOWS DOWN.(maybe 8 WPM) When I look at the keys, my speed GOES UP. (maybe 15-20)

So what happens if a co-worker needs something typed up by, say, 3 o'clock that day, and you have other things that need to get done the same day? I probably would pound the thing out while looking at the keys so that I would get it done ON TIME and WITHOUT MISTAKES. If I typed the document while not looking at the keys, it would take me all day!!

It drives me crazy when I keep being one key off, too. Were people drunk when they developed the typing keyboard? Why aren't the letters in alphabetical order? And the punctuation symbols...some are grouped together, some aren't. Am I the only one on the planet with this problem? Any pointers? Thanks!

--hide--

Victoria,

You stated "Any pointers"?

Well, just like having children. Practice, practice, practice. laughing laughing

Blessings, Praying hug rose

Leon

03/17/2013 new

(Quote) Victoria-691000 said: I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or ...

It drives me crazy when I keep being one key off, too. Were people drunk when they developed the typing keyboard? Why aren't the letters in alphabetical order? And the punctuation symbols...some are grouped together, some aren't. Am I the only one on the planet with this problem? Any pointers? Thanks!

--hide--
Victoria,

I'm learning to type as well and I found an online download that teaches you to type by looking at the screen. You look at a keyboard on the screen as you type. It has helped me and I am very bad at typing. Give it a try... typefastertypingtutor.com

Posts 1 - 10 of 36